• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Pirates at Orioles

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Should've QO'ed and signed Burnett, then signed one other starter (even Volquez wouldn't have bothered me in that case, as he'd be the backup plan rather than guaranteed a spot in the rotation)
Should've signed a real 1B-man.

Not as bothered by SS. I don't care for Barmes much but he is at least a solid defender who doesn't cost much. Mercer's regression was predictable. (Pretty sure I predicted it anyways.) Even so he'll recover somewhat as the season goes along. I expect he'll end up between .650 and .700. Small chance of better or worse production.

Walker and Alvarez aren't consistent players month to month but they are pretty consistent about how much they've contributed by the time September rolls around. They're not going to be bad all year.

Marte and Tony Sanchez are the ones who are causing me the most stress. We need them to be successful.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marte did look better yesterday, so that's something. He wasn't swinging through hittable pitches the way he had been to this point in the season. His contact skill is what makes him special, why he can get away with striking out a lot, but if he's whiffing repeatedly on pitches down the gut, he can't be productive (who can, really?) so hopefully he's on his way to sorting that out.

When Polanco comes up, I really hope Cutch moves to #2 in the order with Polanco leading off. Davis/Sanchez or Walker can bat third, since they can at least pretty consistently draw walks even when they're struggling, at least move things along, and Marte can bat a little lower in the order to help turn it over until he gets himself going again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should've QO'ed and signed Burnett, then signed one other starter (even Volquez wouldn't have bothered me in that case, as he'd be the backup plan rather than guaranteed a spot in the rotation)

Not as bothered by SS. I don't care for Barmes much but he is at least a solid defender who doesn't cost much. Mercer's regression was predictable. (Pretty sure I predicted it anyways.) Even so he'll recover somewhat as the season goes along. I expect he'll end up between .650 and .700. Small chance of better or worse production.

Walker and Alvarez aren't consistent players month to month but they are pretty consistent about how much they've contributed by the time September rolls around. They're not going to be bad all year.

Marte and Tony Sanchez are the ones who are causing me the most stress. We need them to be successful.

Obviously Burnett would have helped, but with how bad the infield has been, given that he is also a ground ball pitcher, I have to wonder just how much help. I would rather have had him in than Wandy, then Cumpton, but I don't think we win more than one or two more games. We've been playing that bad across the board that even a top-notch starter couldn't save us.

I think Davis and Sanchez will prove to be a solid first base platoon, and I do think Davis is more talented than Jones by a clear margin. Snider hit well to start the season, but he's been awful since then (Tabata's been alright), and I do think it's time to try Lambo for a bit.

Tony Sanchez has been puzzling. He can clearly hit. He plays the game hard. He just has these weird gaffes that cost us. Hopefully, those disappear with maturity and experience.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fair enough, I don't think we really feel that differently on the subject.