• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Phillies@Cardinals 4-Game Series

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know that playing Ruf occasionally goes nowhere. They have to play him for a few weeks straight to see if anything is there. Since they won't do that, he should be traded or sent down for advanced seasoning while some worthy candidate is called up, like Williams.

Why the fuck do Phillies fans have to watch these guys below? That won't happen in STL. Grichuk is hitting .186 but he has 4 HRs.

Burris .087
Goeddel .143
Ruf .163
Bourjos .169

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We know that playing Ruf occasionally goes nowhere. They have to play him for a few weeks straight to see if anything is there. Since they won't do that, he should be traded or sent down for advanced seasoning while some worthy candidate is called up, like Williams.

Why the fuck do Phillies fans have to watch these guys below? That won't happen in STL. Grichuk is hitting .186 but he has 4 HRs.

Burris .087
Goeddel .143
Ruf .163
Bourjos .169
I watched Ruf today. His no timing or confidence in his swing. The head games have destroyed his ability.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched Ruf today. His no timing or confidence in his swing. The head games have destroyed his ability.
hahaha still making excuses. unreal.
Ok just pretend for a moment that Ruf looks like Dom Brown...now would you still be making excuses or would you want his ass out of here?

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burris .087
Goeddel .143
Ruf .163
Bourjos .169

Correction: Ruf .149

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burris still hanging on to the worst of the worst title despite Ruf's big day. With one hit today, Goeddel is sinking fast and might reach safety of the mendoza line by June.

Burris .087
Ruf .149
Goeddel .161
Bourjos .165

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf is another example of a career destroyed by braindead. It is just the after-effects walking around out there. His career is done.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf is another example of a career destroyed by braindead. It is just the after-effects walking around out there. His career is done.
Or just not being very good. I mean maybe Amaro wasn't the most helpful, but blaming him after two years of him not even calling the shots is just weak and not taking accountability- like, hey, I suck, unless I face lefties, then I'm average

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or just not being very good. I mean maybe Amaro wasn't the most helpful, but blaming him after two years of him not even calling the shots is just weak and not taking accountability- like, hey, I suck, unless I face lefties, then I'm average
I didn't watch the game today. How did Ruf do against the lefty?

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Intense competition to make it to the bigs and to stay. 2 facets of the game: physical ability and talent and strong mental makeup. So what you and Northeast are saying is Ruf lacks the mental makeup. Using the excuse that Amaro did this to him is weak. The guy can't hack it. End of story. Send him back to the minors and maybe one day he can get his head together. In Ruf's case, time is running out.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was ruf not given a realistic chance? sure. when a fat slob like young is picked over you, that's a screw job. and it's just one of the million reasons amaro had to go. but the fact remains he's just not that good, so it doesn't matter in the end.

he did hit 14 homers in 251 AB in 2013, but that's his thing. he has power. he also struck out a whopping 91 times and was hitting a mediocre .247. same thing ever since.

bottom line is he's basically a .230 type hitter who would K around 200 times a year if he played full time. the 25 homers or so he'd hit would 100% not make up for that. really, he's kind of wasting a roster spot considering his defense is average at best.

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
was ruf not given a realistic chance? sure. when a fat slob like young is picked over you, that's a screw job. and it's just one of the million reasons amaro had to go. but the fact remains he's just not that good, so it doesn't matter in the end.

he did hit 14 homers in 251 AB in 2013, but that's his thing. he has power. he also struck out a whopping 91 times and was hitting a mediocre .247. same thing ever since.

bottom line is he's basically a .230 type hitter who would K around 200 times a year if he played full time. the 25 homers or so he'd hit would 100% not make up for that. really, he's kind of wasting a roster spot considering his defense is average at best.
Let's not present to many facts here, you might ruffle some feathers. On these boards, people have their own reality, aside from facts.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf will never get a chance to be an everyday starter. That is a given. He is a lousy pinch hitter, that is a given.
He was never given a fair chance to develop and that is (was) his biggest problem. Never considered him for greatness, but he could have hit 25 homeruns and batted around .260 on a full time basis. Plus he would have a decent on base percentage. If you take away his pinch hit at bats his batting average goes up considerably.
I have followed him all along and he was often benched after having 3 or 4 productive games in a row.
However, reality has set in, he is now simply a bench player and most likely will not be with the Philies next year.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruf will never get a chance to be an everyday starter. That is a given. He is a lousy pinch hitter, that is a given.
He was never given a fair chance to develop and that is (was) his biggest problem. Never considered him for greatness, but he could have hit 25 homeruns and batted around .260 on a full time basis. Plus he would have a decent on base percentage. If you take away his pinch hit at bats his batting average goes up considerably.
I have followed him all along and he was often benched after having 3 or 4 productive games in a row.
However, reality has set in, he is now simply a bench player and most likely will not be with the Philies next year.

I know Ruf has been played on an irregular basis for a few years for various reasons. But this year, with two big zeroes in the OF, I still think it's the perfect time to leave Ruf in there for a few weeks to see how he handles a real job. Why play old men Burris, Lough, and Bourjos? Geez, I almost put 29 year old Ruf in that group. lol.

WestCoastPhan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know Ruf has been played on an irregular basis for a few years for various reasons. But this year, with two big zeroes in the OF, I still think it's the perfect time to leave Ruf in there for a few weeks to see how he handles a real job. Why play old men Burris, Lough, and Bourjos? Geez, I almost put 29 year old Ruf in that group. lol.
No. Bourjos makes more sense than Ruf. Bourjos is a very good outfielder with a strong arm. Besides Ruf is batting less than Bourjos! Lol!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As you probably know jvett, I agree with you 100 percent! Start him every game for 3 weeks. I know that he would settle in and prove the critics wrong. But it will never happen.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Bourjos makes more sense than Ruf. Bourjos is a very good outfielder with a strong arm. Besides Ruf is batting less than Bourjos! Lol!

Holy shit, we're out of good reasons for playing Ruf. Do we have any reasons for playing .087 Burris? Hmmm, he happens to be a switch hitter. Anyway, we have a few guys on this team with a ticket outta here by June/July, I hope.