• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Peterson’s deal technically makes him the highest paid corner in new money

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Peterson announces five-year extension with Cardinals

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on July 30, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
patrick-peterson1.jpg
AP

Cornerback Patrick Peterson has reached an agreement with the Arizona Cardinals on a five-year contract extension.
Peterson had two more seasons left on his rookie deal with the Cardinals after Arizona picked up the fifth-year option on his contract earlier this offseason. Peterson announced his new deal via his Twitter account.
Happy to announce my 5 year extension with @July 30, 2014
While we won’t know what the deal is truly worth until getting a closer look at the numbers, Peterson’s deal is right in line with the extensions given to Richard Sherman of the Seattle Seahawks and Joe Haden of the Cleveland Browns this offseason.
According to Peterson’s self-reported numbers, Peterson would bring in more total guaranteed money ($48 million) than Sherman ($40 million) or Haden ($45 million). However, not all of that money is likely fully guaranteed.
Peterson’s deal technically makes him the highest paid corner in new money

Posted by Mike Florio on July 30, 2014, 12:12 AM EDT Quote:
peterson.jpg
AP

Continuing a trend among highly-paid cornerbacks to announce their new contracts via Twitter with basic financial information, Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson has informed the tweet-watching world that he has signed a five-year, $70 million extension with $48 million guaranteed.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the deal is actually with $70.05 million over five years, a minor distinction that makes him the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL based on a new-money analysis. Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman signed in May four-year, $56 million extension, worth $14 million a year in new money. Peterson’s average is $14.01 million.

While Peterson was a little low on the total amount, he’s also a little high on the guaranteed money. We hope to have more details about the guaranteed money in the morning.

The key for Peterson comes from both shifting the injury risk to the team and getting a big-money extension with two years left on his rookie contract. Sherman and Browns cornerback Joe Haden got their new deals with one year left on existing deals. Peterson becomes the first 2011 first-round pick to get a long-term deal despite having two years remaining under contract.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was a 5 year extension on top of his 2 remaining years left on his contract. There were no parlor tricks going here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great move by the cardinals! He will be the face of the franchise once Larry leaves in a year or two.

BamaCards1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally i'd wish it wasn't for so much money. No CB is worth that kind of money. That should only be for QB. Because of deals like this I've been force to cancel my Sunday Ticket because they keep going up in price. The NFL is milking us for every penny and these over priced players. I for one am taking a stance and not paying the prices any longer. If only ever other person did the same the NFL would get the message.