• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pens expectations for 20014-15 & why?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally think we'll be on the cusp of the wildcard. I feel that the Rangers, Flyers, & Blue Jackets will be better teams this upcoming season. Main reason I feel this way is because of the way we played following the Olympic break where our offense started looking mediocre & our defense was just hopeless.

We gave up James Neal (27 goals, 34 assists, 61 points) for Patric Hornqvist (22 goals, 31 assists, 53 points). Although I expect Hornvist's stats to go up and Neal's stats to go down, this was a major setback IMO. We lost a top 6 forward and our best sniper in exchange for a 3rd line grinder.

We lost Matt Niskanen (10 goals, 36 assists, 46 points, +33) and we replaced him with Christian Ehrhoff (6 goals, 27 assists, 33 points, -27).

We also fired a coach with a 0.669 win % for a coach who is unproven in this league. Many could point to Mike Johnston's record in the WHL but let's not forget how much talent his Winterhawks have had during his tenure. I'm not saying Mike Johnston can't succeed, but we really don't know what to expect from him at this point, and chances say he won't do as well as Bylsma has done as Penguins' coach.

Now more than ever, our success & failure depends on MAF. He will have to have a career season for us to remain on par. Add to that, this is his final season under contract so that should give him added motivation. However if he fails, he will probably be traded by the deadline and we will officially be in rebuilding mode. I think this will be the wildcard here. In MAF we trust :hope:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Niskanen for Erhoff is a wash, at worst. If anything, it will probably be an improvement. I read shortly after the Erhoff signing that his advanced stats point to him being a lone quality player on a team (buffalo) full of below average players. Besides, Nisky had a career year. He benefited by playing on the #1 powerplay while both Letang and Martin missed time, and he turned it into getting paid in FA. I don't think he will be missed.

Neal for Hornqvist is a little harder to speculate because of how different they are. Neal, while showing he still has the ability to put it in the net, also came with some baggage. He didn't add any toughness to his line, but often took stupid and sometimes dirty penalties. Wasn't a net front presence, and unless he was skating with a world-class center, oftentimes disappeared. Will he be missed? Sure. Is it catastrophic to the lineup without him? I don't think so.

I don't think the Flyers are going to be challenging for the division this season. They just lost their most dependable d-man in Kimmo, and much like they struggled with last season, they have a glaring weakness on the blueline, which is even worse, now.

C-Bus should probably improve, and Bobrovsky is a stud. Pens seem to have his number, though. NYR are going to be in it as long as Henrik is healthy. Still, they let Richards go, and they kept Nash, who also disappeared in the post-season, yet seemed to take less flak than Richards, who did the same.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Niskanen for Erhoff is a wash, at worst. If anything, it will probably be an improvement. I read shortly after the Erhoff signing that his advanced stats point to him being a lone quality player on a team (buffalo) full of below average players. Besides, Nisky had a career year. He benefited by playing on the #1 powerplay while both Letang and Martin missed time, and he turned it into getting paid in FA. I don't think he will be missed.

Neal for Hornqvist is a little harder to speculate because of how different they are. Neal, while showing he still has the ability to put it in the net, also came with some baggage. He didn't add any toughness to his line, but often took stupid and sometimes dirty penalties. Wasn't a net front presence, and unless he was skating with a world-class center, oftentimes disappeared. Will he be missed? Sure. Is it catastrophic to the lineup without him? I don't think so.

I don't think the Flyers are going to be challenging for the division this season. They just lost their most dependable d-man in Kimmo, and much like they struggled with last season, they have a glaring weakness on the blueline, which is even worse, now.

C-Bus should probably improve, and Bobrovsky is a stud. Pens seem to have his number, though. NYR are going to be in it as long as Henrik is healthy. Still, they let Richards go, and they kept Nash, who also disappeared in the post-season, yet seemed to take less flak than Richards, who did the same.

Good points, Niskanen did have a career year & I've always liked Ehrhoff's game. Also, good point about the Flyers, they will no doubt miss Timonen. I do like Hornqvist's presence in front of the net, just wish he had more size. This upcoming season will have a lot of questions to answer IMO, really hope the Pens could answer these questions in a big way.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I will enjoy about this upcoming season is that I'll have no expectations for this team, if we lose we're expected to lose, and if we win, that's awesome. Hopefully the team will also have this "nothing to lose" mentality as well. Felt there has been unrealistic pressure on this team the past few seasons, and we weren't really as good as the hype. This season, the hockey experts have written us off, and we aren't the team everyone gets hyped up for.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now more than ever, our success hinges on MAF. Offense isn't as potent as in the past, defense is certainly not our strength. We will need top notch goaltending to contend for the playoffs..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZAng68EeL8]Marc Andre-Fleury/Tribute 13-14' - YouTube[/ame]

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could respect the 3rd seed, but Cup contenders for real?

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could respect the 3rd seed, but Cup contenders for real?

I agreed with third seed because it will take a while for the new guys to get used to each other.

By the time Payoffs roll around they'll be ready.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agreed with third seed because it will take a while for the new guys to get used to each other.

By the time Payoffs roll around they'll be ready.

Hope you guys are right.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really excited about Kapanen, nice to have a right handed sniper on the team. Gives us a dimension we haven't had in a while.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you guys think about this Metro projection?

1. NY Rangers
2. Philadelphia Flyers
3. Pittsburgh Penguins
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
5. NJ Devils
6. Washington Capitals
7. Carolina Hurricanes
8. NY Islanders

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is too high. They lost their best all around defenseman in the offseason, and sent the streaky but productive Hartnell, who I admit is a fine hockey player when he isn't falling off his skates, for hometown kid RJ Umberger. RJ has value, but I don't think he has the equal value of a Hartnell because I don't see him being as productive points wise. Also, advanced statistics say Hartnell has real value, and they also say Umberger doesn't have near as much.

I wouldn't sleep on the Isles. JT got hurt last season in the Olympics, but is expected back for them, and they also signed Halak to be backed up by Chad Johnson.

1. NY Rangers
2. Pittsburgh
3. Columbus
4. New Jersey
5. NY Islanders
6. Philadelphia
7. Washington
8. Carolina

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly is too high. They lost their best all around defenseman in the offseason, and sent the streaky but productive Hartnell, who I admit is a fine hockey player when he isn't falling off his skates, for hometown kid RJ Umberger. RJ has value, but I don't think he has the equal value of a Hartnell because I don't see him being as productive points wise. Also, advanced statistics say Hartnell has real value, and they also say Umberger doesn't have near as much.

I wouldn't sleep on the Isles. JT got hurt last season in the Olympics, but is expected back for them, and they also signed Halak to be backed up by Chad Johnson.

1. NY Rangers
2. Pittsburgh
3. Columbus
4. New Jersey
5. NY Islanders
6. Philadelphia
7. Washington
8. Carolina

Good point about Timonen, I just think the Flyers have the talent to compensate for his absence, plus it's a team that always gives us fits. Hope you're right tho, would remove a big obstacle out of our way.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good point about Timonen, I just think the Flyers have the talent to compensate for his absence, plus it's a team that always gives us fits. Hope you're right tho, would remove a big obstacle out of our way.

The regime change in the front office and coaching staff should change some of that. Bylsma was always so stubborn about how he wanted his game plan to play out. We all complained about it on here a heck of a lot over the past few seasons.

Obviously there are no guarantees with Johnston. He could fall flat on his face. I just think with the veterans that are in his lockerroom, and the coaches that were brought on to support him like Tocchet, he has the opportunity to create something that will be kind of an unknown to 29 other teams in the NHL.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The regime change in the front office and coaching staff should change some of that. Bylsma was always so stubborn about how he wanted his game plan to play out. We all complained about it on here a heck of a lot over the past few seasons.

Obviously there are no guarantees with Johnston. He could fall flat on his face. I just think with the veterans that are in his lockerroom, and the coaches that were brought on to support him like Tocchet, he has the opportunity to create something that will be kind of an unknown to 29 other teams in the NHL.

Hopefully it will be a good change of pace. I'm really hoping we're tighter on defense, but IDK if we have the personnel for that.

Burghfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. NY Rangers
2. Pittsburgh
3. Columbus
4. New Jersey
5. NY Islanders
6. Philadelphia
7. Washington
8. Carolina

I agree with your projections more than the Doobster's although, Philly may be a little low.

Just curious. Where would you put the Pens in the Eastern Conference? I could see them sneaking in at a 6 or 7.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully it will be a good change of pace. I'm really hoping we're tighter on defense, but IDK if we have the personnel for that.

I think it will all depend on what type of system Johnston puts in place. I like the fact that he has experience working with young hockey players, because at the beginning of the season there will probably be quite a few defensemen filling in while Maatta and Pouliot are getting healthy. Also like the fact that he is familiar with Pouliot and could see that being a boon to his development at the pro level. Forwards like Sill and Megna could probably look to benefit working with a coach who is comfortable working with young and inexperienced players.

I agree with your projections more than the Doobster's although, Philly may be a little low.

Just curious. Where would you put the Pens in the Eastern Conference? I could see them sneaking in at a 6 or 7.

With the new playoff format, if the Pens finish top three in their division, they automatically get that seed, numbers 1-3. I don't see them finishing as a wild-card.

I admit that I might have the Flyers a bit low in my projection. I really like what C-Bus did at the end of last season, and think they are still trending up for 2014-15. I might be getting ahead of myself with putting the NYI that high, but Tavares is still one of the best centers in the game, and it looks like they finally have a quality combination in net for a change.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Islanders as a weaker version of the Flyers. They got a lot of forward talent but not much at the blue line. A lot of their success will depend on how their young guys will play. Kind of a wild card in the division IMO.