• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GNT/GDT week 5 (Nov 2 - Nov 8)

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovejoy was a disaster last year playing extended minutes, he's been better this year playing 16, as he should be. They have to change something, but there is no evidence anyone would be an improvement of Cole.

Also, suggesting that Scuderi should play over Cole torpedos a lot of your argument.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lovejoy was a disaster last year playing extended minutes, he's been better this year playing 16, as he should be. They have to change something, but there is no evidence anyone would be an improvement of Cole.

Also, suggesting that Scuderi should play over Cole torpedos a lot of your argument.
Cole is objectively the worst player on the Pens. A dman with that bad of a minus rating with 1 secondary assist to his credit should not be playing that many minutes.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cole is objectively the worst player on the Pens. A dman with that bad of a minus rating with 1 secondary assist to his credit should not be playing that many minutes.

Scuderi is objectively the worst defenseman the Pens have. Cole can at least skate and doesn't have to settle a puck for a full two seconds before moving it. Cole is fine second-pairing defenseman, but he's playing top pairing minutes with a struggling Letang, and it's really emphasizing his weaknesses.

If Maatta finds his stride soon, this won't be an issue anymore, because he's got the talent to take those minutes. But coming off a complete year without playing, he's still finding his groove, so Cole's our best option for now.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Maata will find his groove...unless he changes his name to Stella. He just isn't what everyone thought he was when he started so young a few years ago. It was flash in the pan syndrome. I still think he will be a solid, non-descript defensive roster fill, but the next Martin, Letang, etc...nope.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^

I think Maatta is just playing like someone who's had two shoulder surgery's in the past year and a half. He's not going to have the same look to him for probably most of the first half of the season. One reason is he has to rebuild strength back physically in the shoulder, and the other is mental. He needs to have the confidence that when he goes into the corner to fight for a puck, that he's not going to re-injure himself. This will take some time.

Regardless, out of all the Pens' current crop of defensemen, if you were to take JR's position for a day and had the opportunity to trade any blue liner from the roster, I can almost guarantee you Maatta is going to be the one 29 other GM's ask about first. He's young, inexpensive and brimming with ability that still defies his age.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scuderi is objectively the worst defenseman the Pens have. Cole can at least skate and doesn't have to settle a puck for a full two seconds before moving it. Cole is fine second-pairing defenseman, but he's playing top pairing minutes with a struggling Letang, and it's really emphasizing his weaknesses.

If Maatta finds his stride soon, this won't be an issue anymore, because he's got the talent to take those minutes. But coming off a complete year without playing, he's still finding his groove, so Cole's our best option for now.
How is Scuderi objectively the worst? He's a +8 (2nd highest on the team) & has 4 points. Cole is a -9 (2nd worst on the team) and only has 1 point.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Scuderi objectively the worst? He's a +8 (2nd highest on the team) & has 4 points. Cole is a -9 (2nd worst on the team) and only has 1 point.

He's got the worst footspeed, he's a terrible passer, and honestly, all these stats are more by random chance than his own ability. He flubs around with the puck in his own end and has to just get rid of it about half the time. His shot is generally useless, too.

+/- is a terrible stat, and it's an especially terrible stat in small samples.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got the worst footspeed, he's a terrible passer, and honestly, all these stats are more by random chance than his own ability. He flubs around with the puck in his own end and has to just get rid of it about half the time. His shot is generally useless, too.

+/- is a terrible stat, and it's an especially terrible stat in small samples.
Stats seem like the most objective way to judge someone to me.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats maybe in Scud's favor, but he's horrible. I don't even think I have ever seen him clear a puck up the boards out of the zone...I don't think he can do it! And his passing is like a blind man.

Darkstone is right on with his assessment...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats maybe in Scud's favor, but he's horrible. I don't even think I have ever seen him clear a puck up the boards out of the zone...I don't think he can do it! And his passing is like a blind man.

Darkstone is right on with his assessment...
Scud might be bad, but he's laying better than Ian Cole.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scud might be bad, but he's laying better than Ian Cole.

I liken what Scuderi's "achieved" this season to one of my students guessing the correct answer for the wrong reasons. It's strictly coincidental and should not earn our favor. Scuderi is what he is, and what he is is the worst player on the Penguins.