• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GNT/GDT week 24 (Mar 14 - Mar 20)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 games this week, all against Metro division rivals,
flfBSoB.png
Main thing is that we beat the Flyers IMO.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they make the post-season. I can't believe how many "Pens fans" were ready to jump off the nearest bridge after Geno's injury was announced. Do people forget that there is also a 2nd generational center, plus a Norris contending defenseman on this roster? Not to mention, one of the best goal-tenders in the league.

And anyone that questions where Marc-Andre Fleury stands in the hierarchy of today's active goalies needs to consider the milestone he just passed, last week. He now has 350 wins in his career. Only Luongo and Lundqvist have more wins amongst active goalies. And neither of them have their name on the cup.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they make the post-season. I can't believe how many "Pens fans" were ready to jump off the nearest bridge after Geno's injury was announced. Do people forget that there is also a 2nd generational center, plus a Norris contending defenseman on this roster? Not to mention, one of the best goal-tenders in the league.

And anyone that questions where Marc-Andre Fleury stands in the hierarchy of today's active goalies needs to consider the milestone he just passed, last week. He now has 350 wins in his career. Only Luongo and Lundqvist have more wins amongst active goalies. And neither of them have their name on the cup.
I still think the odds favor the Pens to make the playoffs, I just don't like our chances against the likes of the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, or Boston Bruins in the 1st round.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think the odds favor the Pens to make the playoffs, I just don't like our chances against the likes of the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, or Boston Bruins in the 1st round.

I'd give them a shot against any of them. I mean, why not? With the way the bottom six keeps coming through for them, it gives me more and more confidence that they can contribute. And if the bottom six is scoring, that takes a huge burden off of Crosby's line.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd give them a shot against any of them. I mean, why not? With the way the bottom six keeps coming through for them, it gives me more and more confidence that they can contribute. And if the bottom six is scoring, that takes a huge burden off of Crosby's line.
Teams like the Panthers, Lightning, & Bruins will dominate zone time against us. We need 2 way dmen to shut down the play and turn it into an offensive rush going the other way to win against those teams. I don't think we have those type of players on our team right now.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams like the Panthers, Lightning, & Bruins will dominate zone time against us. We need 2 way dmen to shut down the play and turn it into an offensive rush going the other way to win against those teams. I don't think we have those type of players on our team right now.

The Pens under Sullivan have actually done pretty well in regards to puck possession and zone time since he replaced Johnston. I think that is where a lot of the pre-conceived notions about the current team are coming from. They are a carry over from the previous coach.

I just don't fear any of those teams. I think the east is as wide open as it's been since NJ went to the finals a few seasons, ago. Everyone wants to crown the Caps as the sure thing to make it, but they're still the Caps. And they rely upon two former Pens d-men who fold up like rusty beach chairs in the post-season.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens under Sullivan have actually done pretty well in regards to puck possession and zone time since he replaced Johnston. I think that is where a lot of the pre-conceived notions about the current team are coming from. They are a carry over from the previous coach.

I just don't fear any of those teams. I think the east is as wide open as it's been since NJ went to the finals a few seasons, ago. Everyone wants to crown the Caps as the sure thing to make it, but they're still the Caps. And they rely upon two former Pens d-men who fold up like rusty beach chairs in the post-season.
I don't fear the Caps so much, I would much rather face the Caps in the playoffs than the Florida teams to tell you the truth. They're the ones that scare me the most and although I'm a big fan of Mike Sullivan, I don't think we got the personnel to beat the Florida teams right now.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Letang = great offensively, average defensively
Olli Maatta = great offensively, not so great defensively
Trevor Daley = good offensively, not so great defensively
Justin Schultz = good offensively, bad defensively
Derrick Pouliot = decent offensively, no good defensively
Ben Lovejoy = not a good on offense, good defensively
Ian Cole = completely worthless

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not bashing the team BTW, just saying that a 2 way dman would help us tremendously, should be our top priority for the offseason IMO.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't fear the Caps so much, I would much rather face the Caps in the playoffs than the Florida teams to tell you the truth. They're the ones that scare me the most and although I'm a big fan of Mike Sullivan, I don't think we got the personnel to beat the Florida teams right now.

The Panthers don't really look to me to be all that different from Pittsburgh, TBH. A lot of young forwards and defensemen being led by two veterans in Jagr and Luongo. You can kind of say the same thing about the Pens with the young forwards in Wilson, Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Rust. And then you have the young D-men in Maatta and Dumoulin... being led by Crosby and Fleury. Some definite parallel's to be drawn from both.

Tampa, on the other hand, well they're very good. Scoring depth from all four lines, and Bish + Hedman. Yeah, they're a formidable team. I'd much rather face the Panthers, lol!

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Letang = great offensively, average defensively
Olli Maatta = great offensively, not so great defensively
Trevor Daley = good offensively, not so great defensively
Justin Schultz = good offensively, bad defensively
Derrick Pouliot = decent offensively, no good defensively
Ben Lovejoy = not a good on offense, good defensively
Ian Cole = completely worthless

Where's Dum? :lol:

Hey, I get what you're saying. As currently constructed, the d-men look suspect. At least they're not relying on Mark Streit and Andy McDonald!!! LOOL! :nod::D

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Panthers don't really look to me to be all that different from Pittsburgh, TBH. A lot of young forwards and defensemen being led by two veterans in Jagr and Luongo. You can kind of say the same thing about the Pens with the young forwards in Wilson, Sheary, Kuhnhackl and Rust. And then you have the young D-men in Maatta and Dumoulin... being led by Crosby and Fleury. Some definite parallel's to be drawn from both.

Tampa, on the other hand, well they're very good. Scoring depth from all four lines, and Bish + Hedman. Yeah, they're a formidable team. I'd much rather face the Panthers, lol!
We're probably deeper than the panthers, but they got 4 dmen that could make defensive stops and create an offensive rush going the other way. I think that's what makes them a great team this season, even more so than the likes of Jagr, Huberdeau, & Barkov.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where's Dum? :lol:

Hey, I get what you're saying. As currently constructed, the d-men look suspect. At least they're not relying on Mark Streit and Andy McDonald!!! LOOL! :nod::D
True, I'm not really worried about the Flyers, but I don't have high hopes against the Florida teams come playoff time.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're probably deeper than the panthers, but they got 4 dmen that could make defensive stops and create an offensive rush going the other way. I think that's what makes them a great team this season, even more so than the likes of Jagr, Huberdeau, & Barkov.

I have more concern for the teams who like to hit, and play a very heavy, physical game. That is the kind of team that I think the Pens struggle with the most. The Pens have a team that can really skate. Their speed is one of their greatest assests. Reference yesterday's game as an example. The Rags couldn't keep up with the Pens in the 2nd and 3rd periods of that game.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have more concern for the teams who like to hit, and play a very heavy, physical game. That is the kind of team that I think the Pens struggle with the most. The Pens have a team that can really skate. Their speed is one of their greatest assests. Reference yesterday's game as an example. The Rags couldn't keep up with the Pens in the 2nd and 3rd periods of that game.
Yeah, physical teams hurt us, but really the teams that we struggle against are teams that dominate zone time against us, mainly because we don't have the type of dmen that could take the puck away from the other team.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 games this week, all against Metro division rivals,
View attachment 97626
Main thing is that we beat the Flyers IMO.

They also need to beat the Hurricanes too since they're below them in the standings and you must beat teams that are worse than you during the stretch run to the playoffs!!!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also need to beat the Hurricanes too since they're below them in the standings and you must beat teams that are worse than you during the stretch run to the playoffs!!!
True, Canes have given us trouble this season.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree...physical teams dominate the Pens and Crosby. Caps will crush Pitt and Kessel will continue to flounder...They really are a team that plays a bit over 500 and without Malkin, I could see that fall

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, physical teams hurt us, but really the teams that we struggle against are teams that dominate zone time against us, mainly because we don't have the type of dmen that could take the puck away from the other team.
Its because of the physicality that the teams own the zone time...

Who on the Pens is a physical presence or threat?! No one...

Oh, and FYI, Kessel sucks shit

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its because of the physicality that the teams own the zone time...

Who on the Pens is a physical presence or threat?! No one...

Oh, and FYI, Kessel sucks shit
Really wish we had made a move for Milan Lucic, he would've been just what we needed.