• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT's/GNT's: week 2 (Oct 13-Oct 20)

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 2 games, the Pens are 2-0 and averaging 5.5 goals per game. Sid has been on fire scoring 3 goals and registering 3 assists for 6 points in those 2 games. Dup, Geno, & Hornqvist also have 4 points each in those 2 games.

Our defense needs to get better however, gave up a lot of goals (including a hat trick to Corey Perry) against the Ducks, and looked lethargic at times against the Maple Leafs. Still tho, gotta be happy the way the Pens have played so far under a new coach, new system, and with a lot of new faces.

Here's the Pens' schedule this week (2 home games)...

October 16th: vs Dallas Stars (0-1-1): played well against the Chicago Blackhawks in a shootout loss, but then got creamed by the Nashville Predators the 2nd game. Look out for guys like Jamie Benn, Tyler Seguin, Jason Spezza, etc who are all due to break out this season.

October 18th: vs New York Islanders (2-0-0): have looked really good in their 2 games against the Carolina Hurricanes. Lot of talent on this team this year with John Tavares, Kyle Okposo, Brock Nelson, Mikhail Grabovski, Nikolai Kulemin, & Johnny Boychuk (who leads all NHL dmen with 5 points). They also got goaltending with Jaroslav Halak. I expect this to be a very good game.

Hopefully the Pens could continue their scoring tear and tighten up on defense. Will be tough, going up against 2 teams with a lot of good young talent.

LET'S
GO
PENS!
:suds:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An update on our opponents for the week...

Dallas Stars won their first game of the season last night beating the Columbus Blue Jackets by a score of 4-2. Tyler Seguin got a hat trick in the game and Jamie Benn got a Gordie Howe hat trick (goal, assist, fight). Hopefully they won't be very hungry for a win when they play us.

New York Islanders have been rolling, beating their crosstown rivals, the New York Rangers, by a score of 6-3 @ MSG. Islanders have 15 goals in 3 games so far, so this is going to be a test for our defense and goaltending. Hopefully we'll be up for the task.

That's it for this installment of the Doob report, check you all out :peace2:

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two tough games coming up for sure my friends but than again you just beat two good teams! I'm sure the Guins will do well against both because they're doing their homework & watching the tapes on both teams. They'll find a weakness & exploit it! :tea:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two tough games coming up for sure my friends but than again you just beat two good teams! I'm sure the Guins will do well against both because they're doing their homework & watching the tapes on both teams. They'll find a weakness & exploit it! :tea:

Hope you're right Ishall, those Islanders scare me this year especially.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope you're right Ishall, those Islanders scare me this year especially.

You're so right about the Islanders buddy they are on fire! But remember, someone's gonna beat them. Sid's on fire & he leads the Guins best when he is! :nod:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're so right about the Islanders buddy they are on fire! But remember, someone's gonna beat them. Sid's on fire & he leads the Guins best when he is! :nod:

:agree:

Sid has been skrong :nod:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas Stars @ Pittsburgh Penguins

Dallas Stars
Overall record:1-1-1
Road record: 1-1-0
GFA: 2.33
GAA: 2.67
PP%: 12.5%
PK%: 83.3%
Projected roster: NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Pittsburgh Penguins
Overall record: 2-0-0
Home record: 1-0-0
GFA: 5.50
GAA: 3.00
PP%: 44.4%
PK%: 54.6%
Projected roster: NHL Starting Goalies and Line Combinations | DailyFaceoff.com

Series notes
All-time: Pens lead series 66-57-1 with 12 ties
Last season: series tied 1-1
Last meeting: 3-18-2014 @ CONSOL Energy Center, Pens won 5-1

Doob's take: Some time off might help or hurt, hopefully we'll be fresh and not rusty. Stars got their first win of the season against the Blue Jackets, so hopefully they won't be as hungry for the win as they would have been if they were winless. Pens's offense has been explosive thus far, but we gotta tighten up on defense. Doobster picks the Pens to win 3-2.

LET'S GO PENS :suds:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the time off them realize Adams shouldn't be playing. Also I think it will help them fix their PK.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the time off them realize Adams shouldn't be playing. Also I think it will help them fix their PK.

LOL Adams will play :L

But you're right about them having time to fix the PK.

Hopefully we do a better job of containing Benn & Seguin than the Blue Jackets did. Those 2 lit it up that game. I could easily see them doing that to us :L

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a big game for MAF IMO, unlikely our offensive output will be like it was the previous 2 games. If we're going to win this one, I believe that we will have to rely on Flower Power.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a big game for MAF IMO, unlikely our offensive output will be like it was the previous 2 games. If we're going to win this one, I believe that we will have to rely on Flower Power.

I am looking at this season as something like what we had in the late 80s, lots of high scoring games. Pens making rushes and pounding the other teams goalies, but in doing that leaving MAF on his own quite often. Look for the Pens to have trouble with teams that like to sit back and wait for their opponent to make a mistake.( Boston, LA, and Chicago to name a few)

I don't think Dallas has the D to shut the Pens down........5-4 Pens

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am looking at this season as something like what we had in the late 80s, lots of high scoring games. Pens making rushes and pounding the other teams goalies, but in doing that leaving MAF on his own quite often. Look for the Pens to have trouble with teams that like to sit back and wait for their opponent to make a mistake.( Boston, LA, and Chicago to name a few)

I don't think Dallas has the D to shut the Pens down........5-4 Pens

I question the Stars' D as well. Looked good against the Blackhawks & Blue Jackets, not so much against the Predators. Hopefully they play us like they played the Predators. I still say MAF is the key to victory tho.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL Adams will play :L

But you're right about them having time to fix the PK.

Hopefully we do a better job of containing Benn & Seguin than the Blue Jackets did. Those 2 lit it up that game. I could easily see them doing that to us :L

This will be a good test, Dallas has a tenacious forecheck, they are a bad matchup for the DB Pens, interested to see how the MJ Pens react.

And yeah, the pk is a work in progress. Heard HCMJ talk recently that it takes 10 games to evaluate the PK, so I don't expect any changes yet.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This will be a good test, Dallas has a tenacious forecheck, they are a bad matchup for the DB Pens, interested to see how the MJ Pens react.

And yeah, the pk is a work in progress. Heard HCMJ talk recently that it takes 10 games to evaluate the PK, so I don't expect any changes yet.

Yikes a tenacious forecheck, hopefully we don't give up too many turnovers in our own zone. That never works out well for MAF.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got my Pens pj's on, let's rock n roll!

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sid should've gotten a penalty shot IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a chance for our PK to prove itself.