• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Penguins GDT/GNT's week 19 (Feb 9 - Feb 15)

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Bennett got bumped down to the fourth line and Adams up to the third last night, and I'm not sure why. Bennett looked good most of the times I saw him. He was throwing hits and backchecking, and served as the only real possession guy on the third line. And I thought the third line was actually cycling pretty well for stretches.

Although, I do wonder if, with Sutter not looking himself lately, it might have actually been an upgrade for Bennett to play with Lapierre and Downie. Still, Beau seems to be taking a bit of an unfair brunt of the coaching staff's ire.

I was trying to think about this objectively prior to last night's game. I still have a tendency to second guess the head coach and his decision making because we all got used to doing this while Bylsma was steering the ship.

I've come to the conclusion that even though I don't necessarily agree with how Bennett is being handled, I'm willing to give Johnston the benefit of the doubt because he has been working with young hockey players for quite a long time, and I'm sure he has some type of plan with what he's doing with Bennett. Beau still has yet to play an entire season's worth of games in the NHL (68), and prior to last night, he'd only played 20 games under the new coaching staff. Dude missed a ton of practices and games this season with a laundry list of injuries/sickness, so I'm just going to trust what Johnston has in store for him.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the coaching staff scratching a more established player for similar transgressions as Bennett.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Bennett got bumped down to the fourth line and Adams up to the third last night, and I'm not sure why. Bennett looked good most of the times I saw him. He was throwing hits and backchecking, and served as the only real possession guy on the third line. And I thought the third line was actually cycling pretty well for stretches.

Although, I do wonder if, with Sutter not looking himself lately, it might have actually been an upgrade for Bennett to play with Lapierre and Downie. Still, Beau seems to be taking a bit of an unfair brunt of the coaching staff's ire.

I really like Sutter as a defensive player, but it's disheartening watching him flail around in the offensive zone with no ability to maintain possession of the puck. I don't remember him being this useless last year, or early in the year, in the offensive zone.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the coaching staff scratching a more established player for similar transgressions as Bennett.

You're right, they probably wouldn't. But that is my point about Beau. He isn't an established player, yet. Bennett still has a high ceiling in my opinion, if only because he's yet to really have an opportunity to play for an extended period of time for a myriad of reasons, and he's a former first round pick.

If the coaching staff doesn't feel that he's playing the way they need him to, then I don't have too much of a problem with them sitting him down and coaching him up to the way they want his game to play. He's still an inexperienced guy on this team compared to the rest of the forwards. He still has a lot of room to improve.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like Sutter as a defensive player, but it's disheartening watching him flail around in the offensive zone with no ability to maintain possession of the puck. I don't remember him being this useless last year, or early in the year, in the offensive zone.

Sutter played a great game in the defensive zone last night, but yeah, once he gets on the attack, he seems to want the puck to be off his stick as soon as possible. Could be a confidence thing, especially since he's been reeling a bit lately.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Sutter is as good as he was last year, offensively. He is playing with a lot of different line mates

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, Scuds has been impressive this year...I am shocked!

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll give Sutter credit since he has stepped up in the playoffs on a regular basis. I'm not even worried about goals/points with him, just him (and his linesmates) inability to keep the puck in the offensive zone.

One reason I like Bennett on his line, Bennett is good with the puck on his stick in the offensive zone, Sutter is not, they fit together. Although both have been lacking in play recently.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the most part, Scuds has been impressive this year...I am shocked!

You can tell he's got his confidence back. He's more sure with the puck this season, and that was the big problem with his game last year. He's always going to be good at getting in the way and strong on the penalty kill, the question is whether or not he'll turn the puck over, and this season, he isn't.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Johnston was pleased with Bennett's game, it makes it even curiouser that he was dropped to the fourth, though that could have been a bit of an effort to stretch the lineup more while we were trying to eat clock, give us four lines who can defend a bit and maybe generate something offensively, because without Bennett, the Downie-Lapierre-Adams line wasn't going to accomplish much in the way of draining minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Johnston was pleased in Bennetts game for what he is expecting of Bennett, not that he is a top 6 forward...but that he is starting to come around. What lines should the Pens roll?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Johnston was pleased in Bennetts game for what he is expecting of Bennett, not that he is a top 6 forward...but that he is starting to come around. What lines should the Pens roll?

The top two lines from last night look to have nice blends of styles and some chemistry, so I'd keep them together.

Kunitz-Crosby-Perron
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist

After that, even though Spaling got the goal last night, I think I like Downie better for the third line. A little more grit, and agitation, he's better in front of the net, and he's had more success on Sutter's wing than Spaling. Bennett is the best winger left after the top six, as well.

Downie-Sutter-Bennett

Finally, obviously Spaling and Lapierre are in, and I don't think we're getting rid of Adams, so the fourth line would be

Spaling-Lapierre-Adams

Honestly, though, I'd rather have Sill in there than Adams. He's a better skater and actually causes some havoc when he throws a check. He's better defensively, too.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just despise Adams...I don't know why, but he grates on me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Penguins' forecheck looks great tonight again. Bennett just generated a chance picking the pocket of an Ottawa defenseman right in front of the net. Lehner made a good save on the quick shot.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Downie scratched in favor of Sill. Interesting choice, but better Downie gets the scratch than Bennett.

Maybe someday Adams will be out of the lineup... sigh...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pouliot looks so smooth with the puck every time he touches it.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it's over. Crosby got caught for the cross-check in front of the net. Powerplay looked good before that, too.