• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pearce and Ludwick to the DL

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this team snakebit or what?

Pearce has a broken finger, and some sources are reporting that he's probably done for the year. (More like done as a Pirate, imo.)

Ludwick has back spasms. Never know how that's going to turn out, although I guess it matters little, since Ludwick didn't figure to be re-signed anyway.

I don't think I've ever seen so many players go on the disabled list. I just made a count and found 20 Pirates (major league roster) who either are or have been on the DL, a couple of them twice (Snyder and Pearce).

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodbye to Pearce and Ludwick

Without all the injuries, the Pirates might well be over .500 right now, but they have given some youngsters a chance to get some experience and show what they can do.

Looking forward to a full year from Presley next season. He was an impact leadoff hitter before he was injured. The Pirates were on a roll when he was playing, and they went into a tailspin shortly after he was hurt. Not to spook anyone, but his success reminded me of the season Chris Duffy had some years ago after being called up. The difference between them, however, is that Presley consistently showed progress in the minors before his callup, so his success in the majors wasn't such a surprise, whereas Duffy's success that one year was more of a fluke.

Another guy I like is Josh Harrison. He's not going to make any All-Star teams, but he seems to be the kind of player that is versatile and makes positive things happen (moving runners up, bunting, baserunning, etc.). He could be a solid utility player for the Pirates in coming years.

As for Pearce and Ludwick, we probably won't see them in Pirates uniforms anymore. I agree with Mags that Pearce has used up all his chances, and Ludwick was a last-gasp effort to add some punch to the lineup while the team was contending and probably won't be re-signed. I think a starting outfield of Presley, McCutchen, and Tabata has the potential to be very exciting next year.

If that's the case, the team needs to pick up a legitimate power-hitting first baseman for next season and hope that Alvarez comes around at third. If that happens, I like their chances of finally breaking the .500 line and even contending in 2012.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know it is bad when the Pirates sign Aaron Heilman and Nelson Figueroa to fill out the AAA roster.

As for Pearce, I agree his time is done in Pittsburgh. It is a shame he is the type of player you would like to see succeed but injuries killed that.

The Duffy comparison is scary to think about but so far the one positive for Presley he doesn't seem to be a head case that Duffy was.