• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

PAC 12 Thread v6.0

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not bubble in LA. Use Coliseum, Rose Bowl and new stadium. I’m sure they discussed all avenues.
Because they have to attend class.

Also you're talking about on average about 125 people per team including players, staff, coaches.

That's a bubble needing to hold 1,500 people at the least.

Muncie2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With no football this year, looks like the Olympics Channel, cough, I mean the PAC-12 network is making some big financial cuts.

One if the bright spots of the network, Mike Yam, has been let go. His coverage of football was always very high quality.

Wait. There is a PAC-12 Network?

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because they have to attend class.

Also you're talking about on average about 125 people per team including players, staff, coaches.

That's a bubble needing to hold 1,500 people at the least.
Pretty sure LA has 12 hotels the conference could rent out for 3 1/2 months, with sanitized shuttles to and from facilities. Online instruction etc... If the conference really wanted to play they could have figured out a way. Anyone seen what the conference is going to lose on this? I saw Colorado is estimated at an 88M loss.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why do so many get in trouble every year? There are over 100 kids to watch. Can't watch all of them every second of the day.

In a normal situation they wouldn't be as closely watched or their time as structured as it has been with teams that have already started workouts in the bubbles they set up.

Of course they can't be watched every second of every day. But they can be watched a lot more closely than professional athletes who are going home.

If pro athletes are breaking the rules with all of the money at stake then why on earth wouldn't college kids be at least as likely to try.

No ones expecting they won't try. I just don't think it would be as prevalent and bad as you seem to think. And for professional athletes, they already have money. So it's not going to hurt them as much if they screw up.

Really doesn't matter now. The collective vag is already full of sand and the season done got canceled.

True.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure LA has 12 hotels the conference could rent out for 3 1/2 months, with sanitized shuttles to and from facilities. Online instruction etc... If the conference really wanted to play they could have figured out a way. Anyone seen what the conference is going to lose on this? I saw Colorado is estimated at an 88M loss.
Schools like Wazzu, Oregon State, maybe even Utah, may not survive this.

Also the PAC-12 network likely wont survive.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does MLB not have enough staff? There are more staff members working for the Mariners with their big league roster and practice squad guys in Tacoma than almost the entire athletic department for WSU. I am not saying they do follow them or should, but they have enough people to if the MLBPA gave into that.

The fact that they can't follow them everywhere is what makes them not have enough staff. You'd literally have to have someone available to follow them everywhere they go and sit outside their house all night to make sure they didn't sneak out.

You'd also have to make sure the people following them knew what they were doing well enough to follow them without losing track somewhere along the way.

I guess our disagreement on this is, you have a lot more faith in 18-22 years old than I do.

I have faith that they won't have near as much time away from campus and the football facilities to find ways to get in trouble.

A few will try. Most will not.

Additionally, many of the players themselves have said that they feel like they're more likely to get into some kind of trouble or put themselves at risk if they don't have the structure that the season provides.

Think about it, the vast majority of players who get in trouble, do so in the off-season. Few get themselves into trouble during the season.

The PAC and the B1G just gave them an off-season that will be over a year long.

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schools like Wazzu, Oregon State, maybe even Utah, may not survive this.

Also the PAC-12 network likely wont survive.

The best thing for the PAC 12 would be to drop some dead weight. There's really no purpose of having two schools from Oregon or two schools from Washington.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing for the PAC 12 would be to drop some dead weight. There's really no purpose of having two schools from Oregon or two schools from Washington.
Get rid of the Beavers and the Huskies. I can get behind that.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not bubble in LA. Use Coliseum, Rose Bowl and new stadium. I’m sure they discussed all avenues.

That's a great idea. Never thought of that and I'm right here in SoCal. Hotel space wouldn't be a problem either.

Too bad it's too late.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great idea. Never thought of that and I'm right here in SoCal. Hotel space wouldn't be a problem either.

Too bad it's too late.
Too populated.

You'd need to build a stadium and hotels wherever they hold Burning Man events

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they can't follow them everywhere is what makes them not have enough staff. You'd literally have to have someone available to follow them everywhere they go and sit outside their house all night to make sure they didn't sneak out.

You'd also have to make sure the people following them knew what they were doing well enough to follow them without losing track somewhere along the way.

I have faith that they won't have near as much time away from campus and the football facilities to find ways to get in trouble.

A few will try. Most will not.

Additionally, many of the players themselves have said that they feel like they're more likely to get into some kind of trouble or put themselves at risk if they don't have the structure that the season provides.

Think about it, the vast majority of players who get in trouble, do so in the off-season. Few get themselves into trouble during the season.

The PAC and the B1G just gave them an off-season that will be over a year long.

I guess we are on the same page then about staffing. Baseball doesn’t follow them around, just IMO they have the ability to much better than colleges do.

This is just where I think we can agree to disagree about kids. A lot kids get in trouble in the off-season with illegal activities but I can’t see that many guys just staying put in isolation. Getting in trouble during Covid isn’t the same as normal, it is going trying hook up with a chick who might have it or drinking with other college kids who might have it etc.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn’t Larry Scott get the approval for the loans to the universities? Or is that just in preliminary discussions?

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn’t Larry Scott get the approval for the loans to the universities? Or is that just in preliminary discussions?

Supposedly the banks wanted the conference to stay together for 30 years, which some of the members balked at.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly the banks wanted the conference to stay together for 30 years, which some of the members balked at.

Well I hadn’t heard that yet. I’d balk at 30 years too, but getting a slice of the network and tv deal for X amounts of years would suffice IMO.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we are on the same page then about staffing. Baseball doesn’t follow them around, just IMO they have the ability to much better than colleges do.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't clear. There are enough people that work for a professional baseball team that they have enough bodies to follow the players around. But it's just not logistically possible.

That's why I think it would be easier to keep tabs on college players. They are somewhere on campus or in the football facility the majority of the time.

This is just where I think we can agree to disagree about kids. A lot kids get in trouble in the off-season with illegal activities but I can’t see that many guys just staying put in isolation. Getting in trouble during Covid isn’t the same as normal, it is going trying hook up with a chick who might have it or drinking with other college kids who might have it etc.

Yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree. I think the players are smart enough to understand what they would be putting at risk and that this is a different situation than anything anyone has dealt with.

Because of that, I think the vast majority of them would do the right thing knowing it's not always going to be like this.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was it the conference staying together for 30 years?

I didn't pay real close attention to what I heard. My understanding was that the loans were to be repaid over 20-30 years and that, in the long run, it would hurt each schools tv revenue to which USC and UCLA said fuck that.