• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our race to the bottom continues with Oakland, 4/23-26

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then you agree that Beltre's trade value is pretty low. Cool.
Lower than it would be than if he were 30 and stayed relatively healthy? Yes indeed.

Too low to be traded? Not at all.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know, think anyway, we've all accepted our fate for 2018. But the thing I don't want us to do is call up guys, play them sparingly, or out of position, and really not have a good/great idea of what happens with them/us going forward.

I believe this team sees Gallo as our everyday 3rd baseman as early as 2019. Granted, I might be wrong. But if this is the case, move his ass there now, and fill in around him with Profar @ SS, IKF @ 2nd, and Guzman at 1st. And put Rua back in LF.

I know the Rua idea is not gonna fly with most, but I swear, I don't think we've ever given him a 'true chance.' Let's do it now, and then we, or least me, can rest in peace.
It is like management is in full panic mode and can't keep their focus on preparing for the future.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will fully admit that part of my resistance to trading Beltre stems from being emotionally unable to stand seeing him in another uniform.
That is fully understandable.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Rua idea is not gonna fly with most, but I swear, I don't think we've ever given him a 'true chance.' Let's do it now, and then we, or least me, can rest in peace.

Curious as to what would qualify as a "true chance."

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua didn't perform either, then they decided to bring Guzman up after all the injuries and Gallo was pushed into LF
I think you are right in this except in regards to LF it was Rua and everybody else didn't perform and the calling up Guzman like you said and the emergence of IKF.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would you answer that question?

Personally I think Rua hasn't shown much of anything during the chances he's already had... certainly not enough to motivate me to give him an even longer opportunity.

In other words, I think we know what we have with Rua, and I see no reason to run him out there anymore.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think Rua hasn't shown much of anything during the chances he's already had... certainly not enough to motivate me to give him an even longer opportunity.

In other words, I think we know what we have with Rua, and I see no reason to run him out there anymore.
I know when Bogar finished the end of the season in 2014 his average went up 100 points and his SLG Pct went up about 220 points. I was a big Rua fan when he was at Hickory but have been disappointed in his results last year and so far this year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leave Rua out of it for a second though. What is a true chance?

To me it is longer than a month of regular playing time. I think a true chance is at least a couple of months.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is a true chance?

To me it is longer than a month of regular playing time. I think a true chance is at least a couple of months.

I would say 6-8 weeks of regular playing time would count as a "true chance."

Which, I must add, Rua has already had.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they saw that and if certain fans think that, then that is fine. Saying he would get an extended look and then refusing to play him once the SS got hurt makes no sense. He is very versatile and could have played almost any position, but yet all of a sudden the extended look became a cursory glance.

Having a SS go down and solving that by bringing up a 1B and moving your 1B to LF and benching your LF who has just started hitting just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe they decided Guzman was more worth the look than Rua at that point, since the season was pretty much totally sunk at that point

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Gallo as being in the picture at 3B, given the injuries we currently have it could be a short term fix but I don't think its long term in the slightest, hence I'd rather see IKF, Robinson or Rua there as a stop gap and if they like what they with Guzman at 1B then leave Gallo in LF for the same reason someone said put him at 3B, it depends on what they think his long term place is

Defensively he's not much more than adequate anywhere (probably best at 1B but Guzman is better), but with LF being about as easy a defensive position there is, he can at least focus on his hitting, which lets face it, is why he's here

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say 6-8 weeks of regular playing time would count as a "true chance."

Which, I must add, Rua has already had.
When did he get that much regular playing time?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When did he get that much regular playing time?

Rua has gotten caught in the shuffle experienced by many marginally talented players, there is just always someone as good or better to look at or play

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they decided Guzman was more worth the look than Rua at that point, since the season was pretty much totally sunk at that point
So if the season is worth something then we cannot afford to play Rua and if it is sunk we cannot afford to play him either?

Meanwhile Guzman is hitting .182.

Now it is Robinson with his .175 average that is playing instead of Rua, so even if Guzman were hitting it would be irrelevant.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua has gotten caught in the shuffle experienced by many marginally talented players, there is just always someone as good or better to look at or play
My response that you referred to was addressing if he had gotten regular playing time though.

it seems that what he has gotten lost in is bad decision making.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if the season is worth something then we cannot afford to play Rua and if it is sunk we cannot afford to play him either?

Meanwhile Guzman is hitting .182.

Now it is Robinson with his .175 average that is playing instead of Rua, so even if Guzman were hitting it would be irrelevant.

Guzman also hasn't had 600 ML plate appearances to establish himself as more than a .246 hitter

I already agreed with you about Robinson, don't know why you brought him up