• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Recipes - BBQ and other

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we have carried a few conversations on recipes for BBQ. We need a thread for it.

turkey burgers
- 1 lb ground turkey (I like a 1/2 mix of ground turkey breast and 1/2 mix of ground turkey thigh)
- diced FRESH sage to taste for 1lb turkey I use approx 15 FULL leaves diced
- diced FRESH rosemary (I use 2 FULL stocks of the rosemary needles diced)
- diced FRESH thyme (I use 3 FULL stocks of the thyme leaves diced)
- 1 EGG
- 1 Tablespoon of 1/2 & 1/2 cream (whip cream works as well I just dont like it)
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (powdered not cubed)
- 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger (powder not fresh)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste (I do 1 teaspoon)
- kosher/coarse or sea salt (I do 1 teaspoon)

mix all together and form 6 patties and place on parchment paper on a pan and in a freezer or fridge to help solidify a bit (probably dont need to do this but I like it for about 30 mins)

BBQ until done. about 11 mins per side on 400 degree F

spectacufuckingler....

Last edited by a moderator:

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know matty, I was just thinking about starting a BBQ thread today. Good call. I don't really follow any recipes per se, but I have some vague ideas in my head that I routinely follow through on with various degrees of success. Some aren't really officially BBQ, but it'll work. Excuse my "recipes", every time I make something it's a little different, I never measure or anything.

Ribs, baby:

I take a rack of pork babyback ribs, and put them in a nice big pan on top of a broiler pan to keep them elevated off the bottom of the pan. I use about half water, half apple vinegar, and a little bit of liquid smoke, throw it in the pan with the ribs. I cover the pan with heavy foil, and tighten it down to make it hold in the water as best I can. There should be a half inch or so of liquid in the bottom of the pan, just to the bottom of the ribs. Put it in the oven at 350F for about an hour and a half. You should be able to easily poke a finger through the meat between the bones when it's done... Semin. Penis. Sometimes it takes longer than an hour and a half, I usually check it after an hour and then every half hour after that. Once it's nice and tender, take the ribs and set them in a new clean pan. Pour a BBQ sauce of your choice over the ribs and make sure they are completely coated. Rub the sauce around and cover every inch of that bad boy. You will have to do this ASAP after it comes out of the oven, so you'll need giant callouses or three layers of rubber gloves. Let it sit in the fridge for about a day so the sauce soaks in, then throw 'em on the grill. Start with the bottom down, grill until it's almost 50% char (you will see the bottom start to smoke as the sauce burns), then flip and cook until the sauce on the top is coagulated and there are nice grill marks. At this point, these bad dogs should be fall off the bone tender and delicious. Feel free to experiment with the liquid smoke/water/apple vinegar combo, or sometimes I like to let them soak in apple cider for a few hours first.

Spicy Cukes:

I chop up two big cucumbers, a red onion, a red pepper, a bit of cilantro, and one jalapeno (two if you like it real hot). Mix in with some white wine vinegar, regular vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, dill, and whatever spices you find delicious. Let it sit in a pot until you start to smell it. Mmmm...

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a favorite recipe for a special dinner when I get really stressed at work.

Booze straight
chase with beer
add a couple ounces of cashews/chips/whatever snack food you have lying around the house.

It'll cure what ails ya.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken or Back Ribs.

1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
2 tbs Soy Sauce (I use Soy Sauce Light)
1 tbs liquid Honey
2 tbs White Rice Vinegar
2 tbs Dry Cooking Sherry
2 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs minced ginger
2 tbs canola oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional I dont use them)

marinade min 24 hours in air tight bag/container. if using BBQ which I always do for this cook on medium indirect heat (400-500 degrees with the opposite burner on while cooking on non lit burner - make sure you heat both burners until temp reached then you can turn off your favorite burner..... yes I have a favorite burner) for me cooking it this way gives the chicken an amazing colour after done (45-50 mins)

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
favorite recipes for ribs is this

1 Beer (I normal bottle of Lager preferably but I love this recipe with an Apricot Beer yes you read that right)
2 tbs of maple syrup
1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce
1 tbs of soy sauce
2 racks of ribs cut into 3 or 4 rib portions (you may need to increase the above recipe if the ribs are too big, NOTE: too much beer makes the reductions difficult and will make the sauce too watery)

put the beer, maple syrup, BBQ sauce and soy sauce into a deep pan and mix well. then place ribs in sauce (doesn't matter what side but I prefer the meaty side down for this) and cook for 1 hour. after done remove the ribs from the sauce and KEEP the sauce. put ribs aside. simmer the sauce for 20 mins to reduce to a thicker sauce. once done glaze ribs with sauce and cook on BBQ on direct medium heat for 15 mins turning and basting with remaining sauce often.

after done cut ribs into individual pieces and toss in bowl with remaining sauce...

use LOTS of napkins and drink with a Bavarian Beer

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently I started a thread like this 2 years ago... man beer is interesting

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost any vegetable can be made delicious as hell with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and a grill. One of my favorite summertime treats is grilled asparagus. Like I said, toss with a little olive oil to get it evenly coated, salt, pepper, and grill until a little crispy.

Also any time I make burgers, I like to slice up a couple onions and coat each side lightly with olive oil, than sprinkle a steak seasoning of your choice (Montreal is my favorite) on each side and grill. Those are some damn good onions.

Last night I chopped up a zucchini squash, red pepper, red onion, and grilled that on a perforated grill pan with oil, salt, pepper, a little fresh chopped garlic, oregano, and basil. Delicious.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Almost any vegetable can be made delicious as hell with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and a grill. One of my favorite summertime treats is grilled asparagus. Like I said, toss with a little olive oil to get it evenly coated, salt, pepper, and grill until a little crispy.

Also any time I make burgers, I like to slice up a couple onions and coat each side lightly with olive oil, than sprinkle a steak seasoning of your choice (Montreal is my favorite) on each side and grill. Those are some damn good onions.

Last night I chopped up a zucchini squash, red pepper, red onion, and grilled that on a perforated grill pan with oil, salt, pepper, a little fresh chopped garlic, oregano, and basil. Delicious.

I like slivered almonds mixed in as well. Works great with fresh green beans. Another, which I'm not too crazy about but others are, is fresh rosemary mixed in.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matty, was it you that had a type of marinade with jalepeno jelly? I think it was for your beef ribs.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see what peeps do for wings on the grill

never done, want to try it

hot, spicy, sweet, honey, BBQ, whatever good (EASY) recipes/techniques you have

DevilishWon

Don't ever play Lady of Spain again
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Grilling asparagus tonight...to go with grilled teriyaki turkey breast....yum

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grilled some serious damn Sirloin action last night after a daylong red wine & spices marinadet night the extended family.
Weber sear burner FTW.
Love that thing.
Like a restaurant kitchen.
So friggin awesome.

Bizzle McDizzle

all of your teams suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But need to greatly expand my grilling skills, so looking forward to tips tricks and hint posted here.
Not just ingredients, post techniques.
I have base skills mastered.
Need/want to take Iit to next level.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This is quick, easy, and great, if you like spicy mustard bbq sauce. (which I have fell in love with as I've gotten older)...

Famous Dave's makes a sauce called Georgia Mustard and I like to mix in some regular bbq sauce (I prefer sweet baby ray's "sweet and spicy"), a little Tabasco and pepper. Rub the wings with whatever seasoning you like.(helps to LIGHTLY coat with regular mustard first. Doesn't affect taste but helps rub stick to the meat) put in fridge for at least hour. (24 hours is ideal) I don't get too carried away because it's the sauce that makes it great.

Grill 'em sloooow and don't sauce them while grilling unless you do it for the last couple minutes. Too many slop bbq sauce all over chicken while grilling it and then wonder why it's crunchy, black, and not done in the middle.

If your in a hurry, you can throw 'em over hotter coals (flames or whatever you use), get the outsides looking almost perfect and then wrap in foil on a higher rack for a bit. also not a bad idea to add some of your sauce when you foil them up. Note: I don't foil wings because I have all the time in the world.

AND MOST IMPORTANT: If you eat less than six wings, you are a vagina.:embarassed:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty, was it you that had a type of marinade with jalepeno jelly? I think it was for your beef ribs.

yeah

Beef Ribs Rack (4 to 5 Pounds - that sounds like alot but the bones are really big)

Sauce Ingredients
1/2 Cup Jalapeño Jelly
1/2 Cup Red Wine
2 cups tomato sauce
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared Chili Powder

season ribs both sides with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper let sit at room temperature (20 to 30 mins).

Make Sauce - combine suace ingredients, bring to a boil stirring until Jelly melts/dissolves. remove from heat and set aside.

Sear the ribs on DIRECT MEDIUM heat until nicely browned (important that you have to WATCH this as flareups will occur)

once browned put ribs meat side down in a pan you can put on the BBQ (10x13 inch dish will work) and bring the sauce BACK to a boil on the stove then pour over the ribs cover the baking dish and cook in your BBQ over indirect medium heat for 1 hour

after 1 hour remove cover/foil from dish and continue grilling until meat pulls back from bone (about 1 more hour turning ribs occasionally) remove ribs from sauce cut into individual rib slices and drizzle with sauce from pan.

yumadumdum

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But need to greatly expand my grilling skills, so looking forward to tips tricks and hint posted here.
Not just ingredients, post techniques.
I have base skills mastered.
Need/want to take Iit to next level.

I've started using meat injectors a lot on bigger pieces of meat. Even if it's just injecting straight apple juice into a piece of pork, the juicyness is most excellent.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1/3 cup Brown Sugar
4 Tbsp Paprika
1 Tbsp Course salt
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp chili powder

I'd double this for the amount of 2 lbs wings if its party size or leave as is for 1 lb. Except for the Cayenne maybe only 1.5 times that.

Rub or shake wings in a bag. Let sit in fridge overnight.

Smoke with apple or cherry for 20 - 30 mins (indirect heat), then cook on Med High grill until done. Cover with sauce and cook on low or indirect heat again for 3-5 mins. Remove and let rest (tented with foil) for 10-15 mins.

you can brush LIGHTLY with your favourite BBQ sauce but this one works great alone.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yeah

Beef Ribs Rack (4 to 5 Pounds - that sounds like alot but the bones are really big)

Sauce Ingredients
1/2 Cup Jalapeño Jelly
1/2 Cup Red Wine
2 cups tomato sauce
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared Chili Powder

season ribs both sides with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper let sit at room temperature (20 to 30 mins).

Make Sauce - combine suace ingredients, bring to a boil stirring until Jelly melts/dissolves. remove from heat and set aside.

Sear the ribs on DIRECT MEDIUM heat until nicely browned (important that you have to WATCH this as flareups will occur)

once browned put ribs meat side down in a pan you can put on the BBQ (10x13 inch dish will work) and bring the sauce BACK to a boil on the stove then pour over the ribs cover the baking dish and cook in your BBQ over indirect medium heat for 1 hour

after 1 hour remove cover/foil from dish and continue grilling until meat pulls back from bone (about 1 more hour turning ribs occasionally) remove ribs from sauce cut into individual rib slices and drizzle with sauce from pan.

yumadumdum

:peace2:

*Copied and pasted to my files*

If I use it for catering, you will get full credit.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken or Back Ribs.

1/2 Cup Hoisin Sauce
2 tbs Soy Sauce (I use Soy Sauce Light)
1 tbs liquid Honey
2 tbs White Rice Vinegar
2 tbs Dry Cooking Sherry
2 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs minced garlic
2 tbs minced ginger
2 tbs canola oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional I dont use them)

marinade min 24 hours in air tight bag/container. if using BBQ which I always do for this cook on medium indirect heat (400-500 degrees with the opposite burner on while cooking on non lit burner - make sure you heat both burners until temp reached then you can turn off your favorite burner..... yes I have a favorite burner) for me cooking it this way gives the chicken an amazing colour after done (45-50 mins)

I have no Idea why I put this as for Back Ribs. this is for chicken only.

Automattic

I'm baaaaaaack....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"AUTOMATTIC'S MEAT CO." is going full swing now. Haven't even advertised yet, other than business cards and word of mouth. I'm even going to see what hoops i need to jump through for vending at the Winter Classic. How fucking cool would that be?!