• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: Politics and other stuff that is sure to piss everyone off

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
oh .. we're having a serious conversation ....

Bipartisanship is a thing of the past. Politicians no longer feel the need to work together. They serve their constituents and no more. They do what they need to do to stay where they are. That's it. That's the first big problem. Make them accountable or take away the nasty temptations. Make them serve the people <<< ways to fix this: term-limits and campaign finance reform among other things ... but the dirty fucking bastards that would have to get this passed have no REAL incentive to do this. they'd be shooting themselves in the foot. That's why I'm all about a smaller, 4th branch of government, who "governs the governors" ... but corruption there would ensue. Citizens can be the same way though. They seek to have THEIR OWN interests served. Fuck the overall good of our country. Fuck compromise. I want my taxes lower because my kids are grown so I could give a shit about the school system and its funding and my taxes higher because of it. Fuck social security because my grandmother who practically survived on it for 20 years is no longer here. me me me

Another problem is everyone's notion of "right and wrong" being the same as "legal or illegal" .. Gay marriage? Abortion? Several other major social issues have nothing to do with legal or illegal. Therefore, the government should keep its nose out of it. Why should any government have the right to define the laws of marriage? When did it become OK to give someone the death penalty but not OK to abort a fetus under certain conditions? Nothing but double-standards, hypocrisy, and people trying to inject religion back into the state.

And please don't get me started about the separation of church and state. People ridicule the Middle East for being ruled religiously .. yet that's exactly what many would love to have here, the US being a Christian state.

Now that I've likely started a good shit-storm, good weekend mates :D

shitstorm%20a-brewin%27.png

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a revolutionary idea.

No running for re-election. All elected official on every level are one term appointments. That way, they have to actually do work for the time of the term, and not spend half of the time running for re-election.

They can run again for the same position, but not until they have sat out a cycle.

It will never happen. As sparko said, these guys love the easy workload and free paycheck of being career politicians but I bet a whole lot more could be done if these guys weren't constantly focused on re-election.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Bipartisanship is a thing of the past. Politicians no longer feel the need to work together. They serve their constituents and no more.

Their "constituents" are whoever gives them the most money to protect their interests in Congress. That word no longer refers to the voters who actually elect them.

And now Florida wants to reduce their registered voters by 180,000 based on guidelines I have yet to understand.

Rocky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rabble-rousing without facts (or worse, complete and intentional misrepresentations of the facts) continues to be a very lucrative profession...

Glenn Beck signs a five-year $100 million radio contract - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News

That is some scary shit right there.

This quote from the article was even more disturbing:

"The Glenn Beck Program is the nation's third-highest rated radio show behind The Rush Limbaugh Show and The Sean Hannity Show."

No wonder this country is sinking into mediocrity.

You are what you eat, and you become those you listen to.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is some scary shit right there.

This quote from the article was even more disturbing:

"The Glenn Beck Program is the nation's third-highest rated radio show behind The Rush Limbaugh Show and The Sean Hannity Show."

No wonder this country is sinking into mediocrity.

You are what you eat, and you become those you listen to.

I'd be more upset and shocked if I hadn't given up on humanity after Jersey Shore became popular and then "a thing" in popular culture.

I'm going to go listen to TOOL's Aenima album and dream about large-scale natural disasters.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more upset and shocked if I hadn't given up on humanity after Jersey Shore became popular and then "a thing" in popular culture.

ugh. Agreed. So few know how to think anymore...

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
have something specific in mind? I've only watched part of his show 2-3 times, but what I caught was very good. He seemed to have his facts straight and to be more logical than most. What have I missed?

Cant' tell if trolling...

or sarcastic...

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beck is a boss. Loved watching his show on fox news. Glad he's getting paid big $$$$$ again.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beck is an insult to intelligence. He aims at the lowest common denominator and gets it. He has set the conservative movement back so much by ruining it's image and depth of thought perception.

Once again, this coming from a right leaning, small government, lifetime NRA member.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant' tell if trolling...

or sarcastic...

I was serious... like I said, I've only caught a few minutes a couple times, so I have a very limited sample size. But he seemed VERY good in those few minutes. If I just caught him at his best (quite possible) I'd like to know what I've missed. Do you have an example of his ignorance?

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with 46 (even as a former govt employee).

I love Joe Scarborough. He is pretty middle but still on the right side of the isle. Ironically his show is on THE WORST cable news channel, MSNBC. Their nightly lineup would make a lesbian minority on welfare blush.

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was serious... like I said, I've only caught a few minutes a couple times, so I have a very limited sample size. But he seemed VERY good in those few minutes. If I just caught him at his best (quite possible) I'd like to know what I've missed. Do you have an example of his ignorance?

I found your question on Ask.com... I haven't read through all of it, but it's got a fair amount of answers to start with -

Why do people say Glenn Beck lies... what has he lied about? - Yahoo! Answers

The Daily Show, even though it's a comedy show, does a pretty good job of outing hidden agendas. I'd love to hear an answer to this one -

Beck - Not So Mellow Gold - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 12/10/09 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good one too -

Last edited by a moderator: