• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

OT: J-Blow and his Cannon

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the ASG in LA in 2002.

Ox and I attended this together back in 2002, it was the first meetup he and I had after we had met on these boards in 2000/2001 or so. Mrs. Ox couldn't make the ASG so I bought the ticket for the skills competition on Friday night and then the ASG on Saturday. Pretty funny, the Oxilator asked me if I was going to steal and sell the ASG ticket because he stayed at a hotel in LA while I went home to HB Friday and was going to come back Saturday. Trust is definitely earned over time, I wasn't offended but definitely laughed.

Anyway, read the Montreal game yesterday where they scored 3 goals in under 5 minutes (and then won in OT) was the first time in NHL history that had happened, and immediately I thought of the Stunner at Staples. Scott Thomas scored what made it 3-1 at the 13:53 mark so 6:07 was left (Stumpel and Smolinski scored next) so that met that requirement to exclude the Stunner.

I knew it was close but thought it might have been under 5 minutes so I was prepared to send something in to NHL reporting sources if that was the case (now that I think about it, did Montreal score 3 goals in under 5 minutes including the OT one in Stick Gate? If so, and going into OT counts, that would actually predate yesterday's game by 21 years) and so I started looking at videos and found this one, the hardest Shot Competition from the ASG in 2002.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1VCSnd3e74

J-Blow's first one was a whopping 83mph, and his second attempt was 89mph. That was Zhitnik's SLOWEST shot, the next slowest guy.

Such an embarrassment to LA, I told Ox immediately I was so embarrassed to be a Kings fan at that moment. J-Blow had so many suns and moons shine that season on him at one time to make the ASG it wasn't even funny. He looks like he is wearing eyeliner when they put the camera on him when it's his turn (around the 3:15 mark).

Enjoy laughing at him, I did.

=)~~

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an epic event to say the least. I hope I have apologized enough for the distrust about the tickets but all I can say is that I didn't know you like I do now. I wish I had. That would never have happened I can tell you that. I had heard so many horror stories about internet meetings that I was to say the least a little leery. It turned out great though and I thank you for that and the resultant friendship. My only regret is that we don't live closer so we can get together more often.

Ox

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember laughing when he shot. It is interesting to see so many former Kings in that lineup

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was an epic event to say the least. I hope I have apologized enough for the distrust about the tickets but all I can say is that I didn't know you like I do now. I wish I had. That would never have happened I can tell you that. I had heard so many horror stories about internet meetings that I was to say the least a little leery. It turned out great though and I thank you for that and the resultant friendship. My only regret is that we don't live closer so we can get together more often.

Ox

It never offended me buddy, I just had to laugh. Turned into a wonderful friendship that is well over a decade strong.

Thought it was funny though, the look on your face when you asked me that was classic.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Move out of the sticks, fellas.

I absolutely love living in Yorba Linda these days. I consider Huntington Beach my home because that is where a big chunk of my formative years were spent but I grew up here from my early teens, high school and know the place well.

I own the house I grew up in, which is even more full circle - pretty fascinating seeing my youngest daughter and oldest son share the room that was mine when I was a teenager. I have visions of what my dad would see seeing my own kids in this place.

I didn't appreciate it when I was that age, there is almost nothing here to do so we would end up heading out of YL and getting into all sorts of trouble. Fast forward to an almost 40 year old adult and it's totally different - one of the best school systems in the state, I'm the "poor guy" in the neighborhood while making a good living because this place is full of rich white people (YL was voted as the richest city in the nation based on per capita income. Making $100,000 here is like making $60,000), the crime rate is almost nonexistent and it's peaceful and quiet. Far cry from waking up on July 5th and finding some drunk dumbass passed out on my lawn in Huntington and way more family friendly.

Just goes to show as you get older things change and what's important then may not be now.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember laughing when he shot. It is interesting to see so many former Kings in that lineup

I just shook my head and told Ox "wow"...I was so embarrassed it wasn't even funny.

Modry was getting assists while on the bench that season, Palffy, Schneider, Allison and Deadmarsh hurt, game is in LA and they absolutely needed a rep not to look bad, that guy should count his stars.

Besides the fact that Atlanta signed him to a 3 year/$7 million deal, this is the highlight of his career. I've seen better players never get a shot at the NHL let alone become an All Star by sheer chance.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel bad, Ox. I didn't trust Puck the 1st time I met him either. :D
Oh and Puck? Ox never distrusted me when we 1st met nah nah!

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never trusted anybody under the age of 30 and at the time if you weren't under 30 you must have seemed like you were. It's a problem with getting old. Or maybe just a problem I've developed as I've gotten old. You guys are all cool now though.

Ox

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remeber whatching it on TV. What's funny is that Ms. Howdy's brother was getting married and I was an usher.
I was dragging my feet in order to get ready, so that I can whatch the game. Pissed Ms. Howdy off to no end. We left for the wedding at the start of the third period.
Lil Ms. Howdy was turning one the same weekend.
The funny part is that the bride fainted in the middle of the ceremony and they had to stop. Because the church was only rented for a couple of hours, and the reception was about to start, they never finished the wedding ceremony.
When she came back to life, the priest basically said, "Do you" to the both of them. They said yes and we rapped it up.
I could have stayed and what he'd the rest if the game, and not missed a second of the ceremony.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't feel bad, Ox. I didn't trust Puck the 1st time I met him either. :D

Eat shit fucko.

=)~~

Oh and Puck? Ox never distrusted me when we 1st met nah nah!

That's because he met me already and thought if this derelict is safe, this gangly mook should be too. You're welcome.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never trusted anybody under the age of 30 and at the time if you weren't under 30 you must have seemed like you were. It's a problem with getting old. Or maybe just a problem I've developed as I've gotten old. You guys are all cool now though.

Ox

I wouldn't trust anyone under 30 nowadays either my man, I always tell people I meet don't get married or have kids until 30 at least. Guys are retards until then minimum.

I was 26 this weekend, 2 weeks short of my 27th birthday. Hard to believe I'll be 40 next year.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remeber whatching it on TV. What's funny is that Ms. Howdy's brother was getting married and I was an usher.
I was dragging my feet in order to get ready, so that I can whatch the game. Pissed Ms. Howdy off to no end. We left for the wedding at the start of the third period.
Lil Ms. Howdy was turning one the same weekend.
The funny part is that the bride fainted in the middle of the ceremony and they had to stop. Because the church was only rented for a couple of hours, and the reception was about to start, they never finished the wedding ceremony.
When she came back to life, the priest basically said, "Do you" to the both of them. They said yes and we rapped it up.
I could have stayed and what he'd the rest if the game, and not missed a second of the ceremony.

Haha that's awesome!

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I absolutely love living in Yorba Linda these days.

:lol: The sticks line was from Pulp Fiction.

I hear ya, I lived awhile in La Habra and LOVE the area . Brea, Yorba Linda & even Placentia were my stomping grounds.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't trust anyone under 30 nowadays either my man, I always tell people I meet don't get married or have kids until 30 at least. Guys are retards until then minimum.

I was 26 this weekend, 2 weeks short of my 27th birthday. Hard to believe I'll be 40 next year.
I am under 30 and resent this statement :sadbron:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean the part about getting married. You should add an additional 5 years to that.

Stats are through the roof with my generation delaying marriage, delaying living on their own, and delaying buying a home (if ever) :hope:.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: The sticks line was from Pulp Fiction.

Thought so, but wasn't sure.

I hear ya, I lived awhile in La Habra and LOVE the area . Brea, Yorba Linda & even Placentia were my stomping grounds.

I'll pass on La Habra, some parts are complete dumps. Same as Placentia, anything off the east side of the 57 up until YL Boulevard and near CSUF is Little Mexico. On the plus side I get some kick ass authentic tacos from that part of town.

I don't want to sound snobby, but I absolutely love YL for that reason. You have to have money to live here and that weeds out a bunch of dead weight and makes the place a wonderful place to live. Very minimal crime, although we did have a murder here not too long ago involving some chick from Compton or LA or something who was a hooker and from what I understand was about to testify and was cut. That's a total anomaly though, crime here is almost nonexistent.

I'm considered poor by YL standards but even then we're middle class.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, La Habra south of the border, I mean Whittier Blvd is horrid. LUCKILY, we were pretty high up the hill, almost bordering on the Heights and the most expensive homes in the area, but LA County. Mia Hamm & Nomar Garciaparra's place, plus the Estevez complex, I believe it's Charlie & Emilio's Mom.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hills of La Habra are nice, for sure. There are lots of nice areas in this NOC area specifically in Brea, Anaheim Hills, YL.

Selanne's house was about a mile away from here when he was here in Anaheim the first time. His kids went to Bryant Ranch Elementary, one of the best public schools in CA. I didn't realize what my dad was doing when we moved here in 1989 but do now, my kids will be going there.

I got lucky that my dad left me this house, in the real estate hay day it hit well over $1.3 million. I think it's about $800-850,000 now, which is still out of my price range but am thankful my dad did this for me and my kids. I'd live in a 2 bedroom apartment though if it meant he could be back and see his grandkids.

My best friend in high school had a sister, who had a friend, who used to babysit the Selanne kids. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, real down to earth. Of course I couldn't stand him because he played for Anaheim but on a personal level, very generous and thoughtful.

He lives in South County now and small world, I met a merchant services guy at my networking group about 2 months ago who is just starting out in that industry. At night, he works at Selanne's steakhouse in Laguna Beach as a server and sees him constantly. I haven't been here yet but want to go, heard there is a 32 oz wagyu steak that is a feast. I'm a pig for a 165 pound skinny ass, I am betting $100 I can put this thing away.

Selanne Steak Tavern - by Teemu, in Laguna Beach -

He told me not too long ago before Penner got traded he and Teabag were in there passing "love notes" to each other and drinking scotch. He told Selanne about me, and Teabag said bring him down sometime, I'd like to meet this Kings fan. It's on the bucket list and I'll be doing it soon.

He also said of all the teams who he thought would be in the playoffs he didn't want to face LA because (and I quote) "they will beat the shit out of you physically". Nice compliment from a rival team.

Last edited by a moderator:

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still prefer it up here in Ventura County although it's starting to get a little too crowded for my liking. Doubt that I'll ever move though. Far too much of a task for these old bones. I've moved around this country too many times already during my lifetime.

Ox