• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Only one explanation for this draft

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and read the topic where I said if we went offense in the 1st Jerry was pissing on the coaching staff.

He didn't even attempt to give them a shot at holding onto their jobs.

Time to start planning for a new coaching regime

Does Martin help us win games this year? Nope ... What he helps is we should now have one of the strongest left sides in football for many years to come.
I would have liked the pick more .... But we wont commit to the running game. Even though we ran the ball better last year ...... We still tan in fewer times in 2013 than we did in 2012... despite averaging 1 more yard per carry.

That shit is not going to change this year .... I have been waiting for it to since Garret got here and is hasn't.
However he will have an excuse this year ...... we will have to win games in shootouts ......

Jerry answered the call on the defense by drafting a guy that's slow weak as water and haas issues with getting suspended.
Even if you like his as the pick ...... we still pissed away a 3rd to get him .... and the only way he will be accepted by the fan base is if he does replace Ware ...... Never going to happen. Shoes are too big to fill. Look for him to be out of Dallas in 4 years.

a 7th round LBer that can't cover to help our linebacking croups ... whose weakness is ??? Coverage

and a receiver ...... Just to spit in Rods face ...... to top it off

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and read the topic where I said if we went offense in the 1st Jerry was pissing on the coaching staff.

He didn't even attempt to give them a shot at holding onto their jobs.

Time to start planning for a new coaching regime

Does Martin help us win games this year? Nope ... What he helps is we should now have one of the strongest left sides in football for many years to come.
I would have liked the pick more .... But we wont commit to the running game. Even though we ran the ball better last year ...... We still tan in fewer times in 2013 than we did in 2012... despite averaging 1 more yard per carry.

That shit is not going to change this year .... I have been waiting for it to since Garret got here and is hasn't.
However he will have an excuse this year ...... we will have to win games in shootouts ......

Jerry answered the call on the defense by drafting a guy that's slow weak as water and haas issues with getting suspended.
Even if you like his as the pick ...... we still pissed away a 3rd to get him .... and the only way he will be accepted by the fan base is if he does replace Ware ...... Never going to happen. Shoes are too big to fill. Look for him to be out of Dallas in 4 years.

a 7th round LBer that can't cover to help our linebacking croups ... whose weakness is ??? Coverage

and a receiver ...... Just to spit in Rods face ...... to top it off
I have to agree. Hell, if they had just taken the WR in the 4th, they wouldn't have had to have traded up, because the LB sure as Hell would have been there in the 5th. They might as well have taken Manziel. If I had known this is the shit they were going to pull, I'd have been fine with it. We're 7-9 next year either way

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gonna disagree with the Martin part. I think he can help us win this year. & yes I am aware we had way worse needs though. Still doesn't mean he doesn't help the team this year.

Lawrence I am in a holding pattern on, now that I read Rod wanted the guy.

The rest........ Well ..... :L
cant say it makes me to happy :(

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's really nothing to like about this draft so far besides the first pick, but this offseason is by no means over. Plenty of UDFA the Cowboys could hit on.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we needed ALOT more than 2 defensive players ....

I'm fine with Martin because you always to top think about the future.

Not fine with any of the other picks. I'm sure "Rod wanting the pick" is a smoke screen. Rod needed bodies on the D-line to rotate. I don't think he woke up on draft day and said fuck it Jerrah give me one guy and we're gonna win it all

So we now have 3 D-linemen coming off serious injuries ... and a small kid

LOL only in Jerry world

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not fine with any of the other picks. I'm sure "Rod wanting the pick" is a smoke screen. Rod needed bodies on the D-line to rotate. I don't think he woke up on draft day and said fuck it Jerrah give me one guy and we're gonna win it all

LOL only in Jerry world

We are putting a Hell of a lot of Faith into Spencer and Melton bouncing back to form after injuries. If they don't, and you take out Ware and Hatcher, and you have no other real help coming to what was the worst D in the league last year, 8-8 might look real good

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL only in Jerry world

Not only that, we haven't drafted a single secondary player yet. And with no picks till Round 7, when we do take a safety, he will most likely be just a project. I guess the Cowboys pass defense did not set records last year because the front office felt no need to address this issue. Guess these guys didn't watch any fucking film this offseason. This draft is really mind-boggling.

Last edited by a moderator:

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scarey part is ....... Even if we have luck with the UDFAs

having 3 contribute would be equal to winning the mega millions lotto The odds aren't in our favor

we don't 6 million in cap space left and that will be minus signing this class. It's not like their will be money for anything other than a couple (maybe 2) vet minimum contracts to even attempt to add bodies

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys traded up with the Redskins to select Boise State DE Demarcus Lawrence with the No. 34 overall pick in the 2014 draft.

The Cowboys surrendered their second-rounder (No. 47) and third-rounder (No. 78) for the right to move up 13 picks. Owner Jerry Jones desperately needed to add a body to his league-worst front seven, but has paid a heavy price to do so. Lawrence (6-foot-3, 251) spent two seasons at Boise after transferring from JUCO. He stuffed the stat sheet as a hand-in-the-dirt defensive end, notching 33.5 tackles for loss, 20 sacks and seven forced fumbles across 23 starts. Long armed (33 3/4") and athletic, Lawrence ran 4.80 at the Combine to go along with a 34 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-5 broad jump. Lawrence is a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect after facing three suspensions in college for violating team rules, but has the skill set to become an annual double-digit sack threat.

Sounds like he has already been playing some DE, not just OLB.
I can see Rod coveting a player like this for his system.
A Boise State poster said that he had to take weight off last year to play in some of their defensive schemes. So maybe his natural weight would have been bigger if for not having to shed pounds.
Also I am glad his suspensions were team orientated & not something he did in his regular life. So maybe he was just an immature young kid in college instead of a thug. I can warm up to this player.
It was the trade I couldn't stand.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, we haven't drafted a single secondary player yet. And with no picks till Round 7, when we do take a safety, he will most likely be just a project. I guess the Cowboys pass defense did not set records last year because the front office felt no need to address this issue. Guess these guys didn't watch any fucking film this offseason. This draft is really mind-boggling.

I was saying this offseason, the Cowboys might not draft a safety.
Jerry is "high" on Wilcox, already believes Church to have the other spot, & has Matt Johnson coming back from injury who he liked.
Me personally wanted a safety but had a feeling we might not go after one when you read between the lines.

I think drafting the LB in the 4th is more shocking to me than us not drafting a safety.
(I didn't want a LB at all unless it was some super stud we couldn't pass up)

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys traded up with the Redskins to select Boise State DE Demarcus Lawrence with the No. 34 overall pick in the 2014 draft.

The Cowboys surrendered their second-rounder (No. 47) and third-rounder (No. 78) for the right to move up 13 picks. Owner Jerry Jones desperately needed to add a body to his league-worst front seven, but has paid a heavy price to do so. Lawrence (6-foot-3, 251) spent two seasons at Boise after transferring from JUCO. He stuffed the stat sheet as a hand-in-the-dirt defensive end, notching 33.5 tackles for loss, 20 sacks and seven forced fumbles across 23 starts. Long armed (33 3/4") and athletic, Lawrence ran 4.80 at the Combine to go along with a 34 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-5 broad jump. Lawrence is a bit of a boom-or-bust prospect after facing three suspensions in college for violating team rules, but has the skill set to become an annual double-digit sack threat.

A Boise State poster said that he had to take weight off last year to play in some of their defensive schemes. So maybe his natural weight would have been bigger if for not having to shed pounds.
Also I am glad his suspensions were team orientated & not something he did in his regular life. So maybe he was just an immature young kid in college instead of a thug. I can warm up to this player.

I just don't see what we hear Garret say every interview ..... "Garrett type of guys" He just doesn't fit the mold or a Lee or Smith or any of the guys drafted since Jason took over

This was a Jerry Jones pick

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope he is a Hall of Famer. Really do, I would love to eat Crow. I see a kid that is a good 20-25 lbs away from even having a chance to hold his ground when teams run at him. When you run a turtle 4.8, what are you gonna run after you beef up, 5.0? So he is strictly a 3rd and long pass rusher. Trading a 3rd rounder in this loaded draft, to move up for a situational player is crazy to me.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he is a Hall of Famer. Really do, I would love to eat Crow. I see a kid that is a good 20-25 lbs away from even having a chance to hold his ground when teams run at him. When you run a turtle 4.8, what are you gonna run after you beef up, 5.0? So he is strictly a 3rd and long pass rusher. Trading a 3rd rounder in this loaded draft, to move up for a situational player is crazy to me.

well I am already on record as hating the trade. But I am not gonna hold that against the player.

I couldn't stand us being raped by the niners last year, but didn't hold that against Fredericks, & everyone that didn't like it also complained how slow he was as well.
I think once people don't like something about the trade, they try to magnify any flaw in the player.
Like I said somewhere else. I would rather have a quick lineman over a fast one. Always think a 40 time is overrated even with WRs. So yeah I put even less stock in the 40's when dealing with the trenchmen.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin was the guy I thought they would pick all along but not with both safeties on the board even with that said Im good with that pick and think he will be fine at RG alongside Free. Twist says LG but I cant find that in anything I have read or listened to or maybe I missed it .

Lawrence Im Praying he is really good and the "Character Issues" are for things team infractions like being late to meetings and such and he is past that nonsense. Could have had Jernigan and some one else in the 3rd

The Iowa linebacker WTF is Jerry thinking prove me wrong please

Devin Street I hope he works into the rotation at WR a position I thought we were pretty set at

For a team that set records for Putrid Defense we did not improve Much on paper

"just when I think I am out they pull me back in " Al Pacino in the Godfather

That about sums up my feeling on Jerrys drafting ability

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odds are we will take projects with our 7ths but McCullers, Bailey or a Safety, Purifoy or Roberson, Tiny Richardson sure would look nice. And there goes McCullers