• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Oliver Luck expected to be named Texas AD

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a lot has changed I guess in 20 years I don't remember it being a gay capital.

As for the Black coach thing if Miss State and Texas A&M can hire black head coaches anyone can. That is just a stupid comment.

Ummm, no it hasn't. Austin has always been like that, been like that since I was a student in the mid 90's. There is a reason Austin's slogan is "Keep Austin Weird".....

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin is arguably the most progressive and liberal city in America.
It gives Berkely, CA a run for its money.

Texas has spent decades now as the most eastern Californian team in America.
The crazy redneck farmer Aggies don't call us "little san Francisco" for our conservative values.

I would find it hard to believe that TEXAS has any issue with a black head coach.
This is not 1960.

Oliver Luck will likely deliver David Shaw after letting Mack have a retirement lap in 2014.
That would be a slam dunk and homerun all in one.

and yet ut was one of the last big schools to integrate it's sports programs, only doing so in 1963 when the Texas BOR overturned a rule that kept blacks from playing sports at ut. still it was not until 1970 that a black football player was signed by DKR and the first black basketball player was signed only a year earlier.

strange, huh?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummm, no it hasn't. Austin has always been like that, been like that since I was a student in the mid 90's. There is a reason Austin's slogan is "Keep Austin Weird".....
You guys win be gay....not that there is anything wrong with that. I guess we now know reasons behind the term queer as a steer.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
steers and queers

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and yet ut was one of the last big schools to integrate it's sports programs, only doing so in 1963 when the Texas BOR overturned a rule that kept blacks from playing sports at ut. still it was not until 1970 that a black football player was signed by DKR and the first black basketball player was signed only a year earlier.

strange, huh?

Wrong. The first scholarship football player at Texas was Don Baylor in 1967. Link1. Link2.
Racism by the white football players caused him to give up football and concentrate on baseball.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey it's not set in stone that OL takes this position.

Also would OL really have that much influence in David Shaw to get him to come to Austin? Don't forget, Shaw is coaching his alma mater.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey it's not set in stone that OL takes this position.

Also would OL really have that much influence in David Shaw to get him to come to Austin? Don't forget, Shaw is coaching his alma mater.
You have to understand in their minds its Texas and they have more money than anyone in the Universe and they have a hard time comprehending that Shaw might be happy in the PAC and not want to switch.

If I am Shaw I stay put and if I want to make a move it would be to the NFL.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to understand in their minds its Texas and they have more money than anyone in the Universe and they have a hard time comprehending that Shaw might be happy in the PAC and not want to switch.

If I am Shaw I stay put and if I want to make a move it would be to the NFL.

Honestly, I am not particularly convinced on Shaw. He is he capable of fostering his own culture and program or is he simply the driver of the machine that Harbaugh built. The money thing is true, but I seriously doubt Texas would take it to the extreme to get the candidate they want.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I am not particularly convinced on Shaw. He is he capable of fostering his own culture and program or is he simply the driver of the machine that Harbaugh built. The money thing is true, but I seriously doubt Texas would take it to the extreme to get the candidate they want.
I'm hoping you are wrong and Terri Saban was house shopping in Austin.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping you are wrong and Terri Saban was house shopping in Austin.

the latest I heard was Saban would come with Narduzzi as his DC. I thought that was an interesting rumor. Leaves Smart at Bama. You probably like that one.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Austin is arguably the most progressive and liberal city in America.
It gives Berkely, CA a run for its money.

Texas has spent decades now as the most eastern Californian team in America.
The crazy redneck farmer Aggies don't call us "little san Francisco" for our conservative values.

I would find it hard to believe that TEXAS has any issue with a black head coach.
This is not 1960.

Oliver Luck will likely deliver David Shaw after letting Mack have a retirement lap in 2014.
That would be a slam dunk and homerun all in one.

Why didn't Texas ever rename Simkins Hall before 2010?

How come in 1969 Texas liked to brag how it was the last all white team to win the NC?

You need to change that date from 1960 to 1970.

Hornstampede, you need to learn some Texas history.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys win be gay....not that there is anything wrong with that. I guess we now know reasons behind the term queer as a steer.

Hate that phrase. When I went to Orlando, to stay with a friend who is a UCF grad, and to watch the opening of their new stadium with the Texas Longhorns, there was this guy...

I was wearing a burnt orange Longhorns shirt, and as he passed me, he said "..steers and queers, that's Texas" or something like that. He was about my height, but he weighed about 270. He had a real tall girlfriend, she might have been 6'3" and skinny as a broomstick.

But, I just couldn't let that go, even though I was the only person wearing burnt orange in a sea of UCF black and gold. So I ran down this low wall, so I wouldn't have to go through the crowd, and spotted his tall ugly girlfriend, ran full speed up to the fat punk and rammed him. Steers and queers huh?

His eyes got real big, said I was crazy. I told him, don't be spouting that shit to me, kiddo.

Man, sometimes I just lose my mind. But, I really hate that stupid phrase...

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. The first scholarship football player at Texas was Don Baylor in 1967. Link1. Link2.
Racism by the white football players caused him to give up football and concentrate on baseball.

that is still many years after most schools did integrate....the 69 ut MNC team was the last all white championship team in DIVI I.

and to clarify, he was offered, but did not accept, so my post really is correct in the sense that ut did not have any blacks on the FB team until 1970.

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not all that surprising. Most of the south was that way.

Hell Grambling was putting more black players in the pros than the entire SEC was until the mid to late 80s.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is still many years after most schools did integrate....the 69 ut MNC team was the last all white championship team in DIVI I.

and to clarify, he was offered, but did not accept, so my post really is correct in the sense that ut did not have any blacks on the FB team until 1970.

Julius Whittier was on the freshman team, but at the time freshman couldn't play. As I recall when Texas played Arkansas in the 69 shootout there wasn't a black player on either team.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don Baylor also was from Austin.. There is an urban myth about him: Playing Hi school baseball at House Park, in Central Austin, on what used to be the campus of Austin High (re: see Dazed and Confused, few shots there)

He hit a Towering homer, that according to legend, went over this tall smokestack looking thing that was a long way behind the outfield. A friend I grew up with said he saw it with his dad, when he was a little kid.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hate that phrase. When I went to Orlando, to stay with a friend who is a UCF grad, and to watch the opening of their new stadium with the Texas Longhorns, there was this guy...

I was wearing a burnt orange Longhorns shirt, and as he passed me, he said "..steers and queers, that's Texas" or something like that. He was about my height, but he weighed about 270. He had a real tall girlfriend, she might have been 6'3" and skinny as a broomstick.

But, I just couldn't let that go, even though I was the only person wearing burnt orange in a sea of UCF black and gold. So I ran down this low wall, so I wouldn't have to go through the crowd, and spotted his tall ugly girlfriend, ran full speed up to the fat punk and rammed him. Steers and queers huh?

His eyes got real big, said I was crazy. I told him, don't be spouting that shit to me, kiddo.

Man, sometimes I just lose my mind. But, I really hate that stupid phrase...
Noted and putting a reminder on my computer never to post my address.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Noted and putting a reminder on my computer never to post my address.

oh, come on. I'm a nice guy. It was really out of character. They had been rude and crude all day to me at the tailgate. When that guy passed me and said that, it was just the last straw.

But, it was out of character. And those UCF crazies were all drunk. I wasn't..

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor here is that IF Luck is heading to Austin it will be announced shortly (day or two) after the WVU/Texas game FWIW.
PLEASE Texas PLEASE, for my own entertainment, if Mack goes at the end of this year, Luck in Austin or not, dig deep and hire Sumlin away from CS, my God the meltdown would be nuclear.