• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would offer Denver a 7th for Paxton Lynch. He can't be any worse than what we have..

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's look at the Earl Thomas situation. Trade deadline is Oct 30 (before week 9). We play Seattle week 3. Sea starts off at Den and at Chi and then home to us. I'm sure the last thing Sea wants to see is Earl Thomas coming into their house week 3 with a star on his helmet and making plays that cause them to lose the game. This is especially true if it causes them to fall to 0-3 or even 1-2 (personally I don't think they go 0-3). So perhaps they become a little more willing to move him (if he is still sitting out) after week 3. If for no other reason it keeps him off the field against them. If they are getting a 3rd (or 2nd) either way, why not wait a few weeks?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's look at the Earl Thomas situation. Trade deadline is Oct 30 (before week 9). We play Seattle week 3. Sea starts off at Den and at Chi and then home to us. I'm sure the last thing Sea wants to see is Earl Thomas coming into their house week 3 with a star on his helmet and making plays that cause them to lose the game. This is especially true if it causes them to fall to 0-3 or even 1-2 (personally I don't think they go 0-3). So perhaps they become a little more willing to move him (if he is still sitting out) after week 3. If for no other reason it keeps him off the field against them. If they are getting a 3rd (or 2nd) either way, why not wait a few weeks?

I really believe the deal will never happen. Jerry seems to think we will be ok at Safety. And now that he made his bed (not trading for ET), if it does not work, he will never admit to making a mistake and will just live with the current safety situation.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, if he doesn’t come to Garrett after that game or if Garrett stays on the field longer, etc. - would we even be talking about this so much. Sure he could contact Garrett personally or through an agent or let it be known he wants to be in Dallas but this has been talked about for 9 months. Sooner or later, if I’m Earl Thomas- I say they don’t want me bad enough.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously, if he doesn’t come to Garrett after that game or if Garrett stays on the field longer, etc. - would we even be talking about this so much. Sure he could contact Garrett personally or through an agent or let it be known he wants to be in Dallas but this has been talked about for 9 months. Sooner or later, if I’m Earl Thomas- I say they don’t want me bad enough.
Sure we would be talking about it. That is an insignificant part of it to me.

I don't see how Earl would think we aren't interested. He isn't a FA. This isn't a case of a guy being available and us not pursuing him. We made an offer for him and were "assumingly" going to follow that up with a contract offer.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offer Seattle a 2019 3rd and a 2021 3rd(contingent on him signing a multi-year deal with us)

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really believe the deal will never happen. Jerry seems to think we will be ok at Safety. And now that he made his bed (not trading for ET), if it does not work, he will never admit to making a mistake and will just live with the current safety situation.
I've read where Dallas has offered a red, so that tells me Dallas "Jerry" isn't all that sure they are OK at safety. Just that they're trying to get the deal they like most.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first time I've read that they offered a third. Looks like Seattle is standing by their wanting a 1st.

I'm not on board with that.

Me too. I am done with this now. Looking forward to season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the first time I've read that they offered a third. Looks like Seattle is standing by their wanting a 1st.

I'm not on board with that.
offered a 2nd

IMO Fuck Seattle at this point. They aren't required to trade us Thomas and I'm fine with our team as is, warts and all. Giving up a 2nd and $75M is questionable as it is, going above that would be dumb. I'd tell 'em now its back to a 3rd if you want to talk. unlike most NFL fans I happen to think Seattle is going to be in the playoff picture before all is said and done so I have no problem from their perspective if I'm a Seattle fan with not trading him.

Time to move on and revisit in the offseason

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had a sneaking suspicion earlier this week that the wheels were turning on the ET3 trade front. Sorry to see it still wasn't good enough - I'd really like to see Earl Thomas in a Cowboys uniform this year. I give it a snowballs chance in hell at this point for 2018.

Seattle is more concerned with "winning" this standoff than doing what is best for their organization. Fuck 'em. When the Seahawks are starring down 7-9 at the end of the year and will only have a glorified 4th round pick to fall back on, I'll be smiling. Because ET3 wants to be in Dallas, and whether it's this year or next I'm confident he will be a Cowboy.

Not even mad, really. Coming into this season I never really thought this was the year for Dallas to go for broke for a Super Bowl. Next year is that year. Having Earl Thomas in 2018 wasn't going to change that IMO, although it would certainly be a lot of fun to watch. This team still needs a little more seasoning. They will be very good this year, IMO, but the team still needs to figure out the receiving corp and the DB group needs another year. 2019 is the year for this group, and I have little doubt it will include Earl Thomas.

Just a thought in closing, Seattle may not even get their comp 3rd (glorified 4th) round pick for ET3 if they do some shopping in Free Agency.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a thought in closing, Seattle may not even get their comp 3rd (glorified 4th) round pick for ET3 if they do some shopping in Free Agency.
This is the part no one gets. I don't know if spotrac is accurate, but as of now it shows Sea with almost $70M in available cap space next year. There is a darned good chance they "do some shopping" which means no comp pick for losing Earl. I don't get why Sea fans are assuming the "floor" for him is a 2020 3rd round comp pick.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
offered a 2nd

IMO Fuck Seattle at this point. They aren't required to trade us Thomas and I'm fine with our team as is, warts and all. Giving up a 2nd and $75M is questionable as it is, going above that would be dumb. I'd tell 'em now its back to a 3rd if you want to talk. unlike most NFL fans I happen to think Seattle is going to be in the playoff picture before all is said and done so I have no problem from their perspective if I'm a Seattle fan with not trading him.

Time to move on and revisit in the offseason
Yeah, Dallas finally offered a 2, Seattle asked for a 1, Dallas pulled offer and Earl reported. That ship has sailed, but there are still some Vet FA's that could help us. On a side note, Derwin James is killing it. Knowing that now, would you have given up LVE plus either our 2 or 3, when it looks like we hit on both? Williams and Gallup are pretty damn good. As well as we are drafting, it's never a bad thing to hold on to your picks. I'd have given a 2 for Earl, but to give up a 1 AND pay him...nope

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fare thee well Seattle
Not getting earl is not going to pizz on my cowboy parade
If Jerry wants him he can sign him in the off season The 2 was more than enough from my GM lazy boy
I’m looking to the draft for more safety and OL help next spring but that’s a long way away
Help is available after week 1wigh no guarantee contracts if need be

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Dallas finally offered a 2, Seattle asked for a 1, Dallas pulled offer and Earl reported. That ship has sailed, but there are still some Vet FA's that could help us. On a side note, Derwin James is killing it. Knowing that now, would you have given up LVE plus either our 2 or 3, when it looks like we hit on both? Williams and Gallup are pretty damn good. As well as we are drafting, it's never a bad thing to hold on to your picks. I'd have given a 2 for Earl, but to give up a 1 AND pay him...nope

Not that it matters, water under the bridge and all that, but at a certain point last year when I realized the Cowboys were not contenders I posted that I would rather the Cowboys lose out the rest of the way in order to get a higher pick and draft an impact defender. I was killed by pretty much everyone here for that opinion. Damn sure would be nice to have Derwin James, I guess LVE will have to do.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that it matters, water under the bridge and all that, but at a certain point last year when I realized the Cowboys were not contenders I posted that I would rather the Cowboys lose out the rest of the way in order to get a higher pick and draft an impact defender. I was killed by pretty much everyone here for that opinion. Damn sure would be nice to have Derwin James, I guess LVE will have to do.

Yes I got murdered as well for wanting to move up 2 spots to get him. I shouldn’t say murdered. I just couldn’t believe it when he kept dropping and then there he was. I thought for sure we had a plan for Thomas after we didn’t act. Oh well. We have Heath. For the record, I like Heath.

I wanted Weddle so bad 3-4 yrs ago it was crazy. If you want somebody bad enough- you go get them though. Maybe Seattle was never going to trade him.