• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Offseason news

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever enduring hype? Where do you see that? I see a guy who is already pretty good, who played his rookie year then 3 games in year 2 at LG before missing the rest of the year due to injury. Then he switched positions for year 3 and was injured enough to never practice in full for most of the year yet was still OK. So yeah, if it is between him, Smith and Gregory, I've seen a lot more so far out of Collins to think he has a better chance to be a top player than the other two and I'm happy to have him as a starting OL myself.

Yeah, still the guy is hyped, I'll try and link some stories later when I have a little more time to find them - if anyone is even interested.

I think calling him pretty good is a relative term - pretty good in comparison to what/who? Compared to league average RT/LG? Sure, he's okay, and is starter caliber in the NFL, but I think we as fans were all expecting a little more. IMO I think Collins is very replaceable. Not trying to hate on the guy, just calling it how I see it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, first off I think he is a better LG than RT and I cannot hold it against him if the team is playing him at a position that may not be his best. I never wanted to move him and coming into this year I wanted to move him back. But, I get that with Williams at LG and Collins at RT with the current roster setup, that looks to be the best overall OL for the team. I think as a LG he'd be just a notch below Pro Bowl this year - which I also think Leary was. I think he can be a mauling run blocker as a LG. As a RT the book is still out on him. That being said, if you assume just the normal year two growth at the position and better play do to being healthier he would already be in the top half of the league for RTs. I'm optimistic about him this year. I also think he played a little better down the stretch. Look at T Smith. Even he wasn't great while trying to play injured last year. Collins doesn't have Smiths balance or feet so at less than 100% I would expect him to struggle. I'm sure we are both hoping he progresses and proves to be the player we thought we were getting. I'm problem just a little more thinking he will.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wouldn't you know it....I don't think you can define a guy for what he is after two seasons. ( much less from college games) I actually think many of these guys grow and become better players. Having said that, I thought Collins wasn't bad and will only improve with health. He's not Smith, but few are.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregory may be the best pass rusher on the roster at least potentially. Gregory wI'll be a factor and I look forward to see him opposite DLaw. The dline is going to sack qbs. I predict Tapper will get cut
I see him as odd man out too. Injuries will do that. So should lifetime suspensions and yet here we are .

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregory was going to be FA after the 2018 season the suspensions pushed it back to post 2019.

Closer Look: Randy Gregory current contract situation for Cowboys

Under the 2011 CBA, all draft picks are signed to four-year deals. Gregory’s first year went in the books, but 2016 was interesting. Because he played in less than six games, Gregory did not accrue a season towards free agency. Although his contract was in place for the two games he participated in, he won’t get credit for a year of
service.

That meant at the end of his contract after 2018, Gregory would be a restricted free agent rather than unrestricted. He would be subject to a similar situation as David Irving is now, where the club can place a tender on him and match any offer placed on him by another team.

However, that is now pushed back as well. Thanks to not playing at all in 2017, Gregory doesn’t not accrue a season towards free agency for the second consecutive year, it’s as if the year didn’t happen.

How this will play out is currently a matter for debate, as neither the CBA nor the NFL-NFLPA Drug and Substance Abuse Policy are clear.

One way this plays out is that since Gregory didn’t log a single snap in 2017, his contract tolls. That means the salary for 2017 is what he will make in 2018 (if reinstated) and his 2018 salary will now move to 2019. At that point, he would see restricted free agency, and if no long-term deal was made (with Dallas or a club signing him to an offer sheet) he would see unrestricted free agency in 2020.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unrestricted 2020

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the same year I said he better give Dallas a huge home team discount.
It's two full seasons away assuming he makes the team and stays with us that whole time. We'd still get the same number of years out of him that we would if he played all along. So, at that point he'll owe us nothing more than any other player just like we'll owe him nothing. Step 1, make the team this year. Step 2, make game day roster and contribute...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's two full seasons away assuming he makes the team and stays with us that whole time. We'd still get the same number of years out of him that we would if he played all along. So, at that point he'll owe us nothing more than any other player just like we'll owe him nothing. Step 1, make the team this year. Step 2, make game day roster and contribute...

I'll disagree here. I'm assuming he takes a good portion of games to be what he was thought to be, so 2018 is a catch up year. If he doesn't show that potential until the 2019 season, he owes Jerry.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gregory can be an 8-10 sack player if he is healthy and gets enough snaps. The kid is a physical freak

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I think it takes at least a half season for him to get to that point. Hope I'm wrong
Hmmm...I look at Gregory as a pure speed rusher. He's not going to be as much help in the run (at least not right at him) and his main move to get to the QB is just going to be pure speed. While I think based on the very small sample size we saw that he will be an 8 plus sack guy as long as he wins a big role in the nickel defense (which I expect him to), I can't say for sure he will be. But, the main obstacle to him reaching his potential is being in shape. Supposedly he is already, but even if not he certainly should be by week one. So I don't see him needing half a season to get to where he will be. Sure the more reps and coaching the better, but sans injury he'll get all he can handle between now and week one.:2cents:

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I think it takes at least a half season for him to get to that point. Hope I'm wrong
I tend to agree with you. This guy may show some flashes in preseason against second team guys but reality is he's been in the league a short time and missing basically two season sure doesn't help I think he plays on 3rd and plus 5 situations

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree with you. This guy may show some flashes in preseason against second team guys but reality is he's been in the league a short time and missing basically two season sure doesn't help I think he plays on 3rd and plus 5 situations
Everyone will rotate in throughout the game and in different situations, but unless injury strikes elsewhere that is exactly when he should play. Let him pin back his ears and use his pure athletic ability to try to get home. He and Crawford could be a nice two man rotation with each getting to play to their strengths.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone will rotate in throughout the game and in different situations, but unless injury strikes elsewhere that is exactly when he should play. Let him pin back his ears and use his pure athletic ability to try to get home. He and Crawford could be a nice two man rotation with each getting to play to their strengths.

Agreed. I imagine Gregory will be most effective in the "Aldon Smith" role - just let him get after the passer. Though I think while he is a little light in the ass for DE, he may not be a total liability in the run game. Gregory has pretty long arms, and in the past has demonstrated an ability to keep bigger blockers out his chest enabling him to shed blocks fairly well. We will see - I'm excited to finally see what he has to offer now that all the other crap is out of the way.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am excited to see what we got with Gregory and Armstrong at RE. Gregory showed he could be disruptive in the last 2 games of 2016. Armstrong is similar to gregory in size and also has good length. Armstrong is going to push tapper off the roster

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK boys and girls, here is today's issue of the Earl Thomas saga...

Earl Thomas - DB - Seahawks
NBC Sports Radio's Newy Scruggs reports contract-year FS Earl Thomas is "done" with the Seahawks.

Per Scruggs, Thomas "plans to sell his Seattle home," and will only report if he gets a new contract. Scruggs also reports Thomas has expressed interest in playing for the Raiders, apparently telling owner Mark Davis to "come get him." Thomas has been most strongly linked to the Cowboys. Both Thomas and the Seahawks need this saga to end, almost certainly with a fresh start for Thomas elsewhere.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK boys and girls, here is today's issue of the Earl Thomas saga...

Earl Thomas - DB - Seahawks
NBC Sports Radio's Newy Scruggs reports contract-year FS Earl Thomas is "done" with the Seahawks.

Per Scruggs, Thomas "plans to sell his Seattle home," and will only report if he gets a new contract. Scruggs also reports Thomas has expressed interest in playing for the Raiders, apparently telling owner Mark Davis to "come get him." Thomas has been most strongly linked to the Cowboys. Both Thomas and the Seahawks need this saga to end, almost certainly with a fresh start for Thomas elsewhere.

Starting to seem like Seattle will cut off it's nose to spite it's face. If you go off what some of the national writers have speculated or "sourced", Dallas has offered a 3rd round pick in 2019. Trading ET3 now guarantees a higher 3rd rounder than a comp pick, and a year sooner. Plus Seattle would get to save $8.5m this year, which is money they could roll over to next year's cap if they so chose. On top of all that, Seattle would alleviate themselves of this headache they have. I don't understand why Seattle doesn't make the move now, because unless they think they will be able to get a 2nd rounder from someone else, the Seahawks end-game makes very little sense at face value.