• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Broncos News/Rumors Thread

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And bloodlines, which means very little.
And ?

He hits WR's in full stride 40and 50 yards downfield. I get it he is developmental. He is also cool and does not let being down in the first half phase him.he has a really quick release! If he sees a window it is out of his hands as fast as Drew Brees

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has kept one draft pick. wolf that is it!

As the article you quoted said, Elway has a price in mind and won't go over it. Why set yourself up for failure if you have questions about another contract with a player?

Paradis has a lot of significant injuries.

Wolfe gave a hometown discount. And you didn't mention Harris. Or Miller. Or Prater. Or DT, or Marshall, or others.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our draft picks .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AFC WEST
Let's begin this week with the AFC West, where the Broncos already kicked off the player-acquisition window by reportedly trading for their new starting quarterback ...

i

Denver Broncos
1. Cut Case Keenum and Emmanuel Sanders. Realistically, there isn't going to be a trade market for Denver's 2018 starting quarterback given his $18 million base salary, $7 million of which is already guaranteed. Likewise, there's no credible scenario in which the Broncos keep the 31-year-old Keenum with a $21 million cap hit behind Joe Flacco. Denver would eat a $10 million dead cap charge by releasing Keenum, but it would free up $11 million in badly needed cap space in the process.

play
1:07
Carpenter: Elway trade for Flacco 'last gasp of a dying man'
Bobby Carpenter criticizes Broncos GM John Elway for not being able to land a viable quarterback since Peyton Manning.

The Broncos can create more room by moving on from their veteran receiver. Sanders returned to form last season and was averaging 72.3 receiving yards per game, but after tearing an Achilles in December, he might not be ready to start the season on the active roster. The team can cut the soon-to-be 32-year-old and free up $10.3 million more in space. After declining linebacker Brandon Marshall's option, these two moves would get the Broncos to $44.5 million in cap space.

2. Bring back Matt Paradis. This offensive line has been a mess for years, but the one bright spot has been the development of Paradis, who redshirted after being drafted in the sixth round in 2014 before starting 57 consecutive games. He missed the final seven games of last season with a fractured fibula, and while he should be healthy to start 2019, the Broncos don't yet have their star center under contract.

The franchise tag might not apply here, thanks to a rule structure that hasn't caught up with how teams value players. The NFL makes only one offensive lineman tag value available, and despite the fact that left tackles get paid more than linemen elsewhere along the line, the tag value for guards and centers is based on top-tier blindside protectors.

will come in at $14.2 million, which is an exorbitant sum considering that the largest annual average salary for any center in the league is Tampa's Ryan Jensen at $10.5 million. Paradis is also hitting the market at age 29, making him older than most typical first-time free agents. You can understand why he might also want to avoid the franchise tag. This is his best -- and possibly only -- chance at making life-changing guaranteed money.

In a league desperate for competent line play, though, Paradis is going to have a serious market. Jensen was three years younger than Paradis when he entered free agency, but he got a four-year, $42 million deal after just one year as a starting center. Paradis is likely to get a similar deal; it wouldn't be a surprise if he picked up a four-year, $44 million pact.

3. Work on bringing back Bradley Roby. A rare hit for GM John Elway in the first round of the draft, Roby excelled as Denver's third cornerback behind Aqib Talib and Chris Harris Jr., only to struggle last season after Talib left for the Rams. Roby is an unrestricted free agent, but the Broncos don't really have anyone to take his place in the lineup; Tramaine Brock is also a free agent, and third-round pick Isaac Yiadom played like a rookie in limited time. If no team blows away Roby with an offer -- which is entirely plausible given what we saw last season -- the Broncos should trust their first four seasons with Roby over an uneven 2018.

Prop bets recap with Chris Sprow »
More: Will Brinson on SB LIII »
Archive: Every podcast from Barnwell »

4. Add a weapon at tight end.Jeff Heuerman is a free agent, and while the Broncos were hoping that Jake Butt would give them an athletic tight end, Butt tore an ACL for the third time in practice last September. Knee injuries have limited the former Michigan man to three NFL games in two seasons. Troy Fumagalli, a fifth-round draft pick last year, spent all of his rookie season on injured reserve.

With the Broncos trading Demaryius Thomas and likely moving on from Sanders, they need to get more out of their tight end group as receivers. In a draft rich with tight ends, they have to consider using their second- or third-round pick on a weapon for Flacco. They also could be in the discussion for possible cap casualties such as Kyle Rudolph and Cameron Brate.

5. Resist the urge to go after a quarterback and draft front-seven help. While there were reports that Elway was infatuated with 6-foot-4 Missouri quarterback Drew Lock before the Flacco trade, Lock is the exact sort of big-bodied, inaccurate passer Elway has failed with over the past few seasons. Flacco is not a long-term solution, but unless Dwayne Haskins or Kyler Murrayslips to the Broncos at No. 10 overall, Denver won't be in position to take a franchise quarterback.

16th in defensive DVOA a year ago. (Denver was fourth, in comparison, against the pass.) The Broncos are set on the edge with Bradley Chubb and Von Miller, but backups Shaquil Barrett and Shane Ray are free agents, so using a midround pick on the edge might make sense. The more obvious concern would be at the nose, where Domata Peko is an unrestricted free agent and Shelby Harris is a restricted free agent. The Broncos also could stand to add depth behind Derek Wolfe, who just completed his first 16-game season since 2014.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway has kept one draft pick. wolf that is it!
DT was kept until this last year. He didn't leave after his rookie contract. Virgil Green was signed to a second contract also.

Chris Harris was retained, although he wasn't a draft pick.

Part of the reason some of the draft picks were not kept is because they were not that good. If a player is not performing do we keep them because they are a draft pick? That would not be smart. There have been many draft picks that just have not been that good to deserve a second contract. And some guys get way more money in free agency then Denver can afford to pay.

I would ask what player would you have liked to seen retained at their second contract price?

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT was kept until this last year. He didn't leave after his rookie contract. Virgil Green was signed to a second contract also.

Chris Harris was retained, although he wasn't a draft pick.

Part of the reason some of the draft picks were not kept is because they were not that good. If a player is not performing do we keep them because they are a draft pick? That would not be smart. There have been many draft picks that just have not been that good to deserve a second contract. And some guys get way more money in free agency then Denver can afford to pay.

I would ask what player would you have liked to seen retained at their second contract price?

He has kept one of his draft picks that is it . and one of McD's that is it.

He some times needs to pay the players that fricken earns it.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After getting paid DT did suck.So Elway might need to let them go..

Last edited:

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this We do have Paradise replacement if need be and a backup. It hurts our Gard depth and our RG IMO some but I guess we will get buy alright.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has kept one of his draft picks that is it . and one of McD's that is it.

He some times needs to pay the players that fricken earns it.

Virgil Green was drafted in 2011. Not sure if he is considered an Elway pick or not.

Elway has kept Derek Wolf and Von Miller for sure.

Elway has not done a good job of selecting the productive players in the draft. This needs to get better going forward. Last year's draft was a good start.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at the 2015 and 2016 draft classes:
2015:
Round 1: Shane Ray - OLB
Round 2: Ty Sambrailo - OT
Round 3: Jeff Heuerman - TE
Round 4: Max Garcia - OG
Round 5: Lorenzo Doss - CB
Round 6: Darius Kilgo - DL
Round 7: Trevor Siemian - QB
Round 7: Taurean Nixon - CB
Round 7: Josh Furman - S

2016:
Round 1: Paxton Lynch - QB
Round 2: Adam Gotsis - DT
Round 3: Justin Simmons - S
Round 4: Devontae Booker - RB
Round 5: Connor McGovern - OG
Round 6: Andy Janovich - FB
Round 6: Will Parks - S
Round 7: Riley Dixon - P

To me 2015 draft is loss. Sadly the best pick may have been Trevor Siemian. When your draft is like 2015 it would hurt the team more to re-sign the draft picks we made.

2016 draft is marred by the Lynch pick, but every other pick is still on the team except for Riley Dixon that we traded for a 7th round draft pick if my memory serves me correctly. I would say we will likely try to keep Gotsis, Simmions, and McGovern. Janovich will depend on how the new offense is run, but he should be kept in my opinion. Will Parks is a nice depth player that I would like to keep.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Sambrailo - OT was a starter at T last season for Atlanta so one starter out of 2015

Ben Garland was also a starter for Atlanta

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ty Sambrailo - OT was a starter at T last season for Atlanta so one starter out of 2015

Many Broncos fans couldn't wait for Sambrailo to be leave town when he was here. He didn't play very well in 2016 I think it was.

Ben Garland was a project and I think patience ran out on his development.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many Broncos fans couldn't wait for Sambrailo to be leave town when he was here. He didn't play very well in 2016 I think it was.

Ben Garland was a project and I think patience ran out on his development.
Garland is being cut

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sambrailo only started 4 games last year and that was because the starting tackle was doing so bad they just had no choice. So not sure that is a great showing of letting a player leave that they should have given more chances to.

Really to me the players that have left that I would have loved to have seen stick around saw bloated contracts. Malik Jackson would have been great to keep around but the money just got crazy. Osweiler at the right price wouldn't have been too bad but again he was set to make ridiculous money.

The one player that I really wish was still around that Elway let walk was Trevathan. I always viewed him as the heart of that defense and we have not been the same at the linebacker core since he left. Plus especially now he would be such a great fit with Fangio as we saw last year what Fangio did with him in Chicago.

Beyond him I'm not sure there are many draft picks that have left for big money that I would say that was a big mistake by the Broncos to let them walk.

I'm hoping some of the FA's they will have hitting the market next year will be ones they want to sign. Gotsis, Simmons, Parks, and McGovern are all pretty good contributors to the team. Again everything comes down to price but I wouldn't mind getting maybe one of those guys done this year to make things easier moving forward.

This is also why taking a 1st round QB like Lock could pay off big time in being able to sign some of these guys and other big name FA's to add talent to the overall roster.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think QB is off the table my guess CB . or NT .

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Travathan leaving was a mistake. If remember right his contract was not that great that we shouldn't have been able to compete.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adrian Amos In Talks With Bears

He says he wants to be back in Chicago? that right there tells me he has a screw loose.. :dhd:

No joking If I was an NFL player Denver would be the only team I would be happy with the lifestyle.

Seattle, Greenbay would be not to bad. the rest not so much.