• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Evan..

For those that dont see the issue -
I have NEVER in my LIFE seen a splitter grip using the ring & middle finger.
Splitter is Index & Middle.

That grip is obviously a change up.

EDIT: I see a few tweets later he corrected himself. Blamed it on the sun. Really?!?! Really.

Poor us. We have to claim that moron.

Last edited by a moderator:

Broseidon

M.F.C.E.O.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe Evan has a job as a sports columnist. His lack of knowledge on the topics he reports is frightening.

He was the MY beat writer for the Dallas Morning News.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From listening to Norm this morning he said there's a rumor that Seattle's Iwakuma has a finger injury which is concerning them greatly and in his opinion, the Rangers as they are constructed now, have one of the worst benches in all of baseball.

I'm going to have to admit I completely misread the market for Nellie. Sincerely thought he'd have at least a 2 year, if not 3, signed contract now. But I guess between his age, the PEDs, and losing a draft choice, all this has everyone backing up on him.

I'm with you on Nellie, I thought he would would be locked up for a decent contract by now. Also, I agree on the bench comment too but hopefully they get all that worked out in ST. As it stands though, it is pretty weak though.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Poor Evan..

For those that dont see the issue -
I have NEVER in my LIFE seen a splitter grip using the ring & middle finger.
Splitter is Index & Middle.

That grip is obviously a change up.

EDIT: I see a few tweets later he corrected himself. Blamed it on the sun. Really?!?! Really.

:laugh3: HaHa... the Sun... How would that work given the context of the comment. Seriously, how do these guys get these jobs... any one of us could do better.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe Evan has a job as a sports columnist. His lack of knowledge on the topics he reports is frightening.

We got the short end of the stick, that's for sure. I wish we had Jane Lee from the Oakland A's.... She's more knowledgeable than Grant and much better looking too!

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good old grandpa urine.

Ya know, about a decade ago I truly enjoyed Galloway. But over the past few years, maybe longer, of his radio show he turned into a senile fool with an agenda that few understood, much less agreed with.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got the short end of the stick, that's for sure. I wish we had Jane Lee from the Oakland A's.... She's more knowledgeable than Grant and much better looking too!
Jane is very good looking. Slater and Lee

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Cruz will be the next Ranger to play for the O's. Too bad they gave up their 1st pick for Jimenez already. Nelly would do damage in their park.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know, about a decade ago I truly enjoyed Galloway. But over the past few years, maybe longer, of his radio show he turned into a senile fool with an agenda that few understood, much less agreed with.
High school was enough for me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling Cruz will be the next Ranger to play for the O's. Too bad they gave up their 1st pick for Jimenez already. Nelly would do damage in their park.

The O's could use a good DH for sure. But his stats in Arlington vs away parks are so skewed he may end up having to take whatever the Rangers offer him. If they offering anything.

Having him here on a one year at a cost of say $9 mil or so would be a hellva deal for the Rangers, and give Nellie a real chance to be the 4th OF, DH and rebuild his value.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The O's could use a good DH for sure. But his stats in Arlington vs away parks are so skewed he may end up having to take whatever the Rangers offer him. If they offering anything.

Having him here on a one year at a cost of say $9 mil or so would be a hellva deal for the Rangers, and give Nellie a real chance to be the 4th OF, DH and rebuild his value.

That doesn't give Nelly a good chance to rebuild his value. He won't get near the ABs here as he would in BAL or SEA. There's nowhere to put him unless Mitch is traded and I don't think that's happening. I know PIT is interested in Mitch, but if JD liked what they offered then the trade would have been made already. IMO, Nelly will take the most money, especially knowing he already left 14.1 M on the table. I said from the beginning that Nelly should take the 14.1. Not many agreed. He still might get more, but it won't be from us.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't give Nelly a good chance to rebuild his value. He won't get near the ABs here as he would in BAL or SEA. There's nowhere to put him unless Mitch is traded and I don't think that's happening. I know PIT is interested in Mitch, but if JD liked what they offered then the trade would have been made already. IMO, Nelly will take the most money, especially knowing he already left 14.1 M on the table. I said from the beginning that Nelly should take the 14.1. Not many agreed. He still might get more, but it won't be from us.

Well, I'll tell ya this, if you thought he should have taken the 14.1 then you had your finger on the pulse of that one much better than me. I'd bet a $100 that he would have gotten more than this. What do I know? Rhetorical folks.

If we can get Nellie for a low ball figure, then why not? Get everyone into camp, see who shines and then move a player.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'll tell ya this, if you thought he should have taken the 14.1 then you had your finger on the pulse of that one much better than me. I'd bet a $100 that he would have gotten more than this. What do I know? Rhetorical folks.

If we can get Nellie for a low ball figure, then why not? Get everyone into camp, see who shines and then move a player.

I didn't predict he would have this kind of trouble either. At the time I didn't believe JD was this set on Mitch being the primary DH. So for the same reason you are saying he should take a smaller amount to come back here, I was saying the same then. I thought he should take the 14.1 which is damn good for a year of his production (at the DH) and rebuild his value, showing he doesn't need drugs.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't predict he would have this kind of trouble either. At the time I didn't believe JD was this set on Mitch being the primary DH. So for the same reason you are saying he should take a smaller amount to come back here, I was saying the same then. I thought he should take the 14.1 which is damn good for a year of his production (at the DH) and rebuild his value, showing he doesn't need drugs.

Said this from the get go, and that draft pick compensation would eat his value alive

Now that Jimenez is in Baltimore it makes that a much likelier landing spot for him now, since the compensation is lower

I always said he'd sign here for something like 2/24 and an option year or someone would get desperate in ST due to injury or other issue

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Said this from the get go, and that draft pick compensation would eat his value alive

Now that Jimenez is in Baltimore it makes that a much likelier landing spot for him now, since the compensation is lower

I always said he'd sign here for something like 2/24 and an option year or someone would get desperate in ST due to injury or other issue

I knew it would hurt his value some, but I never thought he would still be on the FA market heading into ST. After he turned it down I think I predicted his contract at around 3/36 so that's about where you had it too. I figured if he came back for 1 more year, showed he can hit without PEDS & hit 30 HR's he would get more than 12 AAV after. Most GM's love to pay for HR's.