• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official 2014 Texas Rangers Spring Training Thread

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh the sounds of spring.

Also - on Feliz... he was hitting 97-98 in the winter league. So his velocity is back. Or so they say....

AT that young of an age for TJ surgery, velocity is almost never the issue, its almost always control and command that are last to show up, and for a guy that didn't have much of either to begin with, we shall see what the end result is

I'd be more interested in knowing what Colby was hitting in BP

Last edited by a moderator:

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AT that young of an age for TJ surgery, velocity is almost never the issue, its almost always control and command that are last to show up, and for a guy that didn't have much of either to begin with, we shall see what the end result is

I'd be more interested in knowing what Colby was hitting in BP

And the thing about Colby is he does not have to hit the 90's because he is a savvy pitcher. I am not counting on it but how awesome would it be to have Harrison, Colby and Feliz back. And you are right about Feliz. He was just a thrower but maybe the time off gave him time to think about pitching and have more of a plan this go around.

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

gregrey972

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
check back in on March 30th ... it's his first mound appearance since the Caribbean World Series

Thank you for your condescending response...I only made wrote that bc it looked awkward and figured he wouldn't have to throw so lightly since he had been throwing recently

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the thing about Colby is he does not have to hit the 90's because he is a savvy pitcher. I am not counting on it but how awesome would it be to have Harrison, Colby and Feliz back. And you are right about Feliz. He was just a thrower but maybe the time off gave him time to think about pitching and have more of a plan this go around.

True but he still needs to be in the upper 80s not the mid 80s, or its going to get ugly

If he's going to be topping out at 87 then its probably the end of the line for him as a starter, maybe a long reliever or spot starter

if he can regularly top it out around 89, then thats about where he was before

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone help me out here.........Was it Buck Showalter who made the statement about recommending kids getting TJ surgery early in their careers? It was last season, and was somewhat kidding, but had a real point at the same time.

Also, it seems Feliz has matured and is really understanding what is expected of him and he sincerely wants to be the closer.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you for your condescending response...I only made wrote that bc it looked awkward and figured he wouldn't have to throw so lightly since he had been throwing recently

we have our first butt-hurt person of ST!

And WMW pulled it off, what a dark horse surprise

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone help me out here.........Was it Buck Showalter who made the statement about recommending kids getting TJ surgery early in their careers? It was last season, and was somewhat kidding, but had a real point at the same time.

Also, it seems Feliz has matured and is really understanding what is expected of him and he sincerely wants to be the closer.

TJ surgery is never a good idea bc it does create instability in the region forever, but its much less of a risky proposition now than it was 10-20 years ago, as evidenced by the numbers of procedures done nowadays

And considering its almost a 2 year recovery process, beginning to end, you lose a lot of development time for the sake of increased velocity,

TJ is a GREAT procedure for someone who's developed their pitches and already knows how to pitch and then all of a sudden gains a couple ticks on their fastball (i.e. Smoltz and Nathan) as well, so someone probably around 31-33

As for the source of this comment, I can't say, but I know I read it before and thought it pretty idiotic

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles offered Garza a four-year contract worth $52 million when he was on vacation with his wife in Turks and Caicos. Garza didn't want to discuss the new deal, and when he failed to respond to the Angels in a timely manner, they pulled the offer.

"They offered, but it was more of a weird situation," said Garza, who wound up getting $50 million in guaranteed money from Milwaukee. "I was on vacation with my wife and I didn't want to be disturbed, and it was like, ‘Here it is, we'll pull it in a certain amount of hours.' I didn't have a chance to respond, so I just said, ‘Whatever. It is what it is.'"

He added: "It wasn't anything big. It was an offer and I said, ‘I'm on vacation. I'm not thinking about baseball, Dude. Me and my wife are enjoying ourselves.'"
Garza said he wasn't worried when the offer was pulled and knew he would eventually sign elsewhere. The veteran starter would eventually sign for $50 million over four years with the Brewers, joining what should be a pretty good rotation that features Yovani Gallardo and Kyle Lohse.

On one hand, it's easy to see why Garza didn't want to be bothered. He dedicates nearly all of his time to baseball, and he has little free time to spend with his wife. At the same time, it is 52 million dollars. It must be nice to turn that kind of money down and know you will be just fine.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles offered Garza a four-year contract worth $52 million when he was on vacation with his wife in Turks and Caicos. Garza didn't want to discuss the new deal, and when he failed to respond to the Angels in a timely manner, they pulled the offer.

"They offered, but it was more of a weird situation," said Garza, who wound up getting $50 million in guaranteed money from Milwaukee. "I was on vacation with my wife and I didn't want to be disturbed, and it was like, ‘Here it is, we'll pull it in a certain amount of hours.' I didn't have a chance to respond, so I just said, ‘Whatever. It is what it is.'"

He added: "It wasn't anything big. It was an offer and I said, ‘I'm on vacation. I'm not thinking about baseball, Dude. Me and my wife are enjoying ourselves.'"
Garza said he wasn't worried when the offer was pulled and knew he would eventually sign elsewhere. The veteran starter would eventually sign for $50 million over four years with the Brewers, joining what should be a pretty good rotation that features Yovani Gallardo and Kyle Lohse.

On one hand, it's easy to see why Garza didn't want to be bothered. He dedicates nearly all of his time to baseball, and he has little free time to spend with his wife. At the same time, it is 52 million dollars. It must be nice to turn that kind of money down and know you will be just fine.

That kind of approach will get a weak minded person like Hamilton, but it's really not smart business. You're basically trying to bully someone into doing business with you.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really surprised to see the Orioles signing Ubaldo.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the Rays got their replacement for when they trade David Price. Bwaahaaa!