• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NWO do-over

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he is blind to his own failures. Konan says it best...he hitched his wagon up to Hogan, when he should have hitched it up to Hall & Nash.

Hitching his wagon to anyone was going to be the downfall though. Vince loved the Kliq but didn’t hitch his wagon to them, he still stood with the Undertaker, Bret Hart and other wrestlers who he help create that drew could draw money, then allowed the IC title to still be prominent. Unlike in WCW where once Hall and Nash got there you didn’t even know who was the TV, US or Tag Champions because everything else in WCW was turned into 205 live where there was good matches but those storylines weren’t ever relevant with Nitro.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitching his wagon to anyone was going to be the downfall though. Vince loved the Kliq but didn’t hitch his wagon to them, he still stood with the Undertaker, Bret Hart and other wrestlers who he help create that drew could draw money, then allowed the IC title to still be prominent. Unlike in WCW where once Hall and Nash got there you didn’t even know who was the TV, US or Tag Champions because everything else in WCW was turned into 205 live where there was good matches but those storylines weren’t ever relevant with Nitro.

Part of the problem was the nwo story was so hit it overshadowed everything. No one cares about those titles.

They did love the cruiserweight stuff that bischoff had. Which was great. It’s where guys like Jericho and mysterio should’ve stayed. It’s laughnale to put them in heavyweight matches.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the problem was the nwo story was so hit it overshadowed everything. No one cares about those titles.

They did love the cruiserweight stuff that bischoff had. Which was great. It’s where guys like Jericho and mysterio should’ve stayed. It’s laughnale to put them in heavyweight matches.

It may be laughable sure, but highlight those matches. The NWO angle was great, but the matches were terrible. The cruiser weight matches were great but you didn’t even know what was going on. The NWO angle should never have been the be all end all. DX got hot, Stone Cold got hot, but had the WWE pulled a WCW then there is no the Rock. As much as people hate on Russo, at least he allowed guys to get exposure that ended up being successful for the WWE. Bischoff allowed Goldberg and that was it. The AEW type fans are what got Jericho over and made his going to WWE a big deal.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Bischoff on 83 Weeks. He said the original plan was not for Hogan to be the third man. Instead it was going to be Sting.

Wow!

Can you imagine how badly it would have flopped if they had gone with that plan?

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Listening to Bischoff on 83 Weeks. He said the original plan was not for Hogan to be the third man. Instead it was going to be Sting.

Wow!

Can you imagine how badly it would have flopped if they had gone with that plan?

I don't know, Sting was synonymous with WCW. He would have been the second best option. That would have been a great betrayal angle. Sting as the third man also would have looked cool visually but Hogan was unbeatable in that role.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, Sting was synonymous with WCW. He would have been the second best option. That would have been a great betrayal angle. Sting as the third man also would have looked cool visually but Hogan was unbeatable in that role.

I think it would’ve worked out either way for hogan.

his character was stale and needed a big pop.

he got it. The crowd went berserk when he came out to (seemingly) help wcw at bash at the beach.

if he was christened the savior of wcw after that...still could’ve worked for him.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow!

I think it would’ve depended on how they used him.

would’ve been a huge huge betrayal as he was the wcw banner guy.

but his mic skills were average.

if they used him still as more of a quiet assassin and let him...drop in on guys, like the fiend has done with a very long in the past few Months while Nash and hall were shit talking on the mic, it might’ve worked.

but I also think sting would’ve made nwo look closer to another 4 horsemen than a whole separate entity.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow!

Also. Mabel was definitely the 3rd man....

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something you are forgetting.

Who was the most popular babyface WCW guy getting the biggest pop during the NWO's popularity?

Crow Sting.

If Sting was the third man, there never would have been a Crow Sting. What WCW guy replaces that?

Hollywood Hogan was the perfect heel foil for Crow Sting.

Switch any of these roles and I just don't see it reaching the heights it did.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who was the most popular babyface WCW guy getting the biggest pop during the NWO's popularity?

Crow Sting.

If Sting was the third man, there never would have been a Crow Sting. What WCW guy replaces that?

we know it would’ve been Hogan against NWO sting.

hulkamania would’ve made a comeback.

but I agree That it probably wouldn’t have been as successful for wcw

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crow Sting.

I never forget about crow sting.

it was the single best innovation of a character in pro wrestling.

no one else could’ve been the hottest selling, most over character in pro wrestling without even speaking.

it’s because of crow sting that I (in my humble opinion) have the Stinger as the wrestler of the 90s.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never forget about crow sting.

it was the single best innovation of a character in pro wrestling.

no one else could’ve been the hottest selling, most over character in pro wrestling without even speaking.

it’s because of crow sting that I (in my humble opinion) have the Stinger as the wrestler of the 90s.

This is why I think that Hogan's best work was not as the baby face from Hulkamania.

Like you said.

Sting never said a word. Never cuts a promo.

Hogan has to sell that in such a way as to make Sting the top baby face in the company.

Hogan's best work (that Starcade fuck up notwithstanding) was as the heel foil for Sting in 1997.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way NWO is worldwide like it was with Sting as the 3rd man. Hogan's influence was able to take it mainstream.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I think that Hogan's best work was not as the baby face from Hulkamania.

Like you said.

Sting never said a word. Never cuts a promo.

Hogan has to sell that in such a way as to make Sting the top baby face in the company.

Hogan's best work (that Starcade fuck up notwithstanding) was as the heel foil for Sting in 1997.

it was a team effort.

the announcers really boosted sting to be The ONLY guy who could stop hogan.

The rest of wcw had to be completely inept. I liked having the wrestlers playing security for other matches, that was a brilliant move by bischoff. But eventually wcw had to be hopeless without sting.

and the drop ins. It gave you just enough of sting to want more, and he was taking on 6+ guys basically on his own.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way NWO is worldwide like it was with Sting as the 3rd man. Hogan's influence was able to take it mainstream.

You’re probably right. Sting was pure wcw which wasn’t as big back then.

im really curious how it would’ve looked if sting was the 3rd man. I don’t know how you wait until 97 for a hogan/sting match with the roles reversed.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. Hogan's name still had a lot of value at that point and Sting never came close to that. I'd say the majority of the people watching at that time had never seen Hogan as a heel and it was a brand new thing to them, which got them to tune in.
You’re probably right. Sting was pure wcw which wasn’t as big back then.

im really curious how it would’ve looked if sting was the 3rd man. I don’t know how you wait until 97 for a hogan/sting match with the roles reversed.
I don't think the nWo gets over nearly as much as it did with Hogan as the leader. Also, Nitro probably would've gotten overtaken by RAW a lot earlier than they did if they kept Hogan as a face since the people were getting sick of him in that role well before the turn.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely. Hogan's name still had a lot of value at that point and Sting never came close to that. I'd say the majority of the people watching at that time had never seen Hogan as a heel and it was a brand new thing to them, which got them to tune in.

I don't think the nWo gets over nearly as much as it did with Hogan as the leader. Also, Nitro probably would've gotten overtaken by RAW a lot earlier than they did if they kept Hogan as a face since the people were getting sick of him in that role well before the turn.

you are right on the last part.

the only reason I’m curious is the pop at bash at the beach when he Initially came out was thunderous. I think he would’ve been rejuvenated.

the question would’ve been if there was enough heat on the nwo to make it work.

plus without hogan it doesn’t get coverage in sports center

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Hall's early days in WWE makes you appreciate his talent both in the ring and selling his angle. This is one of the best vignettes ever.

Legend has it Scott Hall just recited scenes and lines from Scarface to Vincent McMahon, who never saw or heard about it, and ate it up. Thinking that Hall was making it all up on the spot he proclaimed him a genius and booked him right away.:pound:

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It may be laughable sure, but highlight those matches. The NWO angle was great, but the matches were terrible. The cruiser weight matches were great but you didn’t even know what was going on. The NWO angle should never have been the be all end all. DX got hot, Stone Cold got hot, but had the WWE pulled a WCW then there is no the Rock. As much as people hate on Russo, at least he allowed guys to get exposure that ended up being successful for the WWE. Bischoff allowed Goldberg and that was it. The AEW type fans are what got Jericho over and made his going to WWE a big deal.

the biggest problem with the NWO angle is the matches weren't great.

Whcih was unfortuate because the story telling and psychology were fantastic.

But dont' forget that Jericho and Mysterio both got wildly over during this time.

Booker T became a household name without really getting too involved in the NWO stuff.

you could say the Giant blossomed before hand, but he wouldn't have been a major FA addition if they got him in winter 96. At least, not at the same level it was when he signed with WWE in like 1999. Bischoff admitted they rushed the Giant to the title because they needed it before the talent infusion of 1996.

And Math Wizard scott steiner also become a singles superstar during all this.

They also tried to push some other guys who just flat lined, Alex Wright and Glacier in particular.

I think the cruiserweight division as a whole got a lot of tv time in the first hour of nitro and that allowed Mysterio, Jericho, Geurrero, Malenko, Juventud Guerrera to all shine. But they really didnt' have much of a story except for Jericho's hilarious promos.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest problem with the NWO angle is the matches weren't great.

Whcih was unfortuate because the story telling and psychology were fantastic.

But dont' forget that Jericho and Mysterio both got wildly over during this time.

Booker T became a household name without really getting too involved in the NWO stuff.

you could say the Giant blossomed before hand, but he wouldn't have been a major FA addition if they got him in winter 96. At least, not at the same level it was when he signed with WWE in like 1999. Bischoff admitted they rushed the Giant to the title because they needed it before the talent infusion of 1996.

And Math Wizard scott steiner also become a singles superstar during all this.

They also tried to push some other guys who just flat lined, Alex Wright and Glacier in particular.

I think the cruiserweight division as a whole got a lot of tv time in the first hour of nitro and that allowed Mysterio, Jericho, Geurrero, Malenko, Juventud Guerrera to all shine. But they really didnt' have much of a story except for Jericho's hilarious promos.
You can also add Bagwell's name to the list. He had been floundering in lower card tag teams for years before he finally found a great gimmick for him with Buff, which elevated him to a solid mid/upper midcarder.