• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

non tenders.....sort of

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Remember back when we traded Nate McLouth to Atlanta? I remember hoping beyond hope that we would get Tommy Hanson in return to be our future ace.........now he is in jeopardy of being non-tendered.

There is actually a list of about 30 people that could legitimitely be non-tendered, however the one that everyone keeps mentioning that I think will be tendered is Mike McKenry. He is a good enough 3rd string catcher, that will make less than $1 million and has an option left.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official McKenry was non tendered to make room for Chris Stewart.

Not sure why they wanted Stewart I never paid attention to him, maybe he catches a better game than McKenry?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is official McKenry was non tendered to make room for Chris Stewart.

Not sure why they wanted Stewart I never paid attention to him, maybe he catches a better game than McKenry?

From what I've read, Stewart is an outstanding pitch framer and overall a good defensive catcher. He's not a good hitter at all, though. It's more or less a swap of offense for defense in the backup backstop.

I like Stewart. I don't think he'll ever be a steady Major League starter, but I do think he'll have a productive career as a defense-first backup catcher.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess they really liked his defense. His defensive numbers were elite the last few years if you believe the metrics.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, since the deadline is today, Daric Barton is probably gonna be non-tendered by the A's. He's a non power hitting, left handed, patient first basemen. Would like to see the Pirates at least put out a feeler, I wouldn't be shocked if you could get him on a minor league deal with a ST invite.

I'm under the impression Lambo won't be on the roster Opening Day, the Pirates don't seem to work that way with non-elite prospects, they'll send him down to Indy until he hits his way back up. Barton would be a good bet to hit for more power in Pittsburgh than Oakland, and the OBP skills are there.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also, since the deadline is today, Daric Barton is probably gonna be non-tendered by the A's. He's a non power hitting, left handed, patient first basemen. Would like to see the Pirates at least put out a feeler, I wouldn't be shocked if you could get him on a minor league deal with a ST invite.

I'm under the impression Lambo won't be on the roster Opening Day, the Pirates don't seem to work that way with non-elite prospects, they'll send him down to Indy until he hits his way back up. Barton would be a good bet to hit for more power in Pittsburgh than Oakland, and the OBP skills are there.

Lambo is out of options, so would have to clear waivers in order to be sent to Indy, and that isn't going to happen. The only way I see Lambo not on the opening day roster is if he is traded. Of course I have been wrong before, see my previous post in this thread.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lambo is out of options, so would have to clear waivers in order to be sent to Indy, and that isn't going to happen. The only way I see Lambo not on the opening day roster is if he is traded. Of course I have been wrong before, see my previous post in this thread.

Pirates Prospects says he has 3 left, which makes sense since he wasn't added to the 40 man till this past August, I know he has gone unprotected in the Rule 5 draft at least once.

Pirates Prospects Player Pages » Andrew Lambo

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That makes sense then about Stewart. Better to have a good defensive backup vs probably the worst defensive catcher in the NL.

Offensively it is a wash, not counting the mirage of 2012 for McKenry.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
like trading mcK for stewart,
bummed that sanchez won't start in mob this year as it seems stewart will be on the mob roster.

does onyone know the particulars/probability of sanchez vs stewart as the mlb backup.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bummed that sanchez won't start in mob this year as it seems stewart will be on the mob roster.

does onyone know the particulars/probability of sanchez vs stewart as the mlb backup.

Nothing official, but Sanchez has a much higher ceiling, but isn't as seasoned as Stewart, especially defensively, so Stewart will likely be the ML backup so Sanchez can get regular at bats and continue to work on his defensive game.

I prefer that, since asking Sanchez to take over for Martin in 2015 would be a bit much if he spent most of 2014 sitting on the bench, not getting regular at bats, in my opinion.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stewart has to clear waivers to go to the minors, would be kind of ridiculous to trade for him, then try to put him through waivers before ever playing a game. I think it's a guarantee, barring injury, Stewart is the backup to start the season.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing official, but Sanchez has a much higher ceiling, but isn't as seasoned as Stewart, especially defensively, so Stewart will likely be the ML backup so Sanchez can get regular at bats and continue to work on his defensive game.

I prefer that, since asking Sanchez to take over for Martin in 2015 would be a bit much if he spent most of 2014 sitting on the bench, not getting regular at bats, in my opinion.

I hear what you are saying, but catchers can get 50 games easily as the backup, and with Martin getting up there in age, he probably should be sitting more often.