• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

no nabokov

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well not now at least. it was kind of annoying that panaccio made it seem like the flyers were going to sign him. basically he wants to be a free agent so i doubt anything will happen. either way, we should know who our goalie is on thursday. hopefully it is not leighton.

as for hamhuis, there is a funny thing on hockeybuzz.com about him.

I talked to a former NHL player, a rugged defenseman in his day. A one-time captain about this and he was dumbfounded..

"What player says that? You don't negotiate playing time or where you fit! You earn your spot. Your a making 4 ****ing million dollars. Now go show you are worth it. I can't believe an NHL player would bring his role into negotiations. What does Paul Holmgren do? Tell Peter Laviolette you HAVE to play this guy top 4 and PP? His teammates! I mean what the bleep would they say? How would they treat a player in the room? When he makes a mistake, even before, any other hockey player would be all over him..."

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh well I dont give a shit what Hamhuis does at this point he's made himself look like an ass. Teams are too fond of signing headaches.

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh well I dont give a shit what Hamhuis does at this point he's made himself look like an ass. Teams are too fond of signing headaches.

It sounds like Homer traded his rights to the Pens because he knows they are going to have an issue signing him, and that he wants to test the waters on 7/1 anyway.

Say what you will about the guy -- come Thursday, if his agent tells Homer he'll sign the 16/4 deal, I'd take him back in a heartbeat. When you are trying to win a championship you need to treat this like a business. Letting your personal feelings get involved is how you become a bottomfeeder quickly...

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I believe personal instinct is very important when it comes to business. If you make a business. Signing a guy that is trying to negotiate where he plays on the team before he signs would not fit in the Flyers dressing room. Do you think anybody on the team wants go give up their spot to a guy that hasnt earned it? Nope sorry not a shot in hell. In my company when someone makes demands like that, they automatically become an outsider.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would rather sign a cheaper 5th defenseman so we have enough for a good goalie.

How much are you saving for a goalie? $4 million leaves (if I remember correctly) almost $7 million left. Coburn isn't getting Carle money -- considering Carle is slightly better and he is overpaid himself.

Last edited by a moderator:

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe personal instinct is very important when it comes to business. If you make a business. Signing a guy that is trying to negotiate where he plays on the team before he signs would not fit in the Flyers dressing room. Do you think anybody on the team wants go give up their spot to a guy that hasnt earned it? Nope sorry not a shot in hell. In my company when someone makes demands like that, they automatically become an outsider.

Remember that is all speculation. There was no confirmation what the exact circumstances were.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
plus 3 mil or so for coburn, plus re signing carcillo, powe, and another forward. and nabokov might get around 5 mil and we need to sign another defenseman.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
flyers have over 10 mil in space. they need to re sign coburn, carcillo, powe, and another winger.

coburn: 3 mil
carcillo: 1 mil
powe: 500k
another winger: 1 mil
good goalie: 4 mil
another defenseman: 2 mil

numbers do not add up. the flyers probably have to get rid of a forward if they want to sign a good goalie.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
flyers have over 10 mil in space. they need to re sign coburn, carcillo, powe, and another winger.

coburn: 3 mil
carcillo: 1 mil
powe: 500k
another winger: 1 mil
good goalie: 4 mil
another defenseman: 2 mil

numbers do not add up. the flyers probably have to get rid of a forward if they want to sign a good goalie.

That's what I'm thinking. So I'm not too verbose here, I'm going to lump Carcillo, Powe, another winger and Coburn (at 2.5M) as "the field" at 4M total. If we are letting a forward go (despite what Homer says) it will either be Carter (5M) or Hartnell (4.2M). If we want Hamhuis (4M) and a good goalie, here are the options as I see them:

[Current Cap] + [The Field] + [Hamhuis] - [Carter] = 51.6M (7.8M free) for a goalie and Carter's replacement.

[Current Cap] + [The Field] + [Hamhuis] - [Hartnell] = 52.4M (7M free) for a goalie and Hartnell's replacement.

Either of those two scenarios (to me, at least) makes this a stronger team than the one that was 2 wins away from a cup.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
check out the cap thread or go to capgeek.com and use the calculator to add it up yourself to see how you can make it work. remember, you need extra guys and cap room as well. so make sure use sign a 13th forward and a 7th defenseman.

CapGeek.com - NHL salary cap calculator, buyout calculator, free agents and more!

Hmm, that does make things look a little different. What I came up with (giving a moderate raise to a few guys, and 2.5M to Coburn) is attached.

*Edit -- Scratch that, you can't see anything on the picture thumbnail. I modified the following...

Carcillo -- 1M
Powe -- 750K
Coburn -- 2.5M
Krajicek -- 700K

...and got roughly 2.5M left for a goaltender.

Attachments

• flyers_cap.jpg
    flyers_cap.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited by a moderator:

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i heard that if homer signed hamhuis then we would likely sign leighton as our goalie. if that is the case then i do not want hamhuis.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard that if homer signed hamhuis then we would likely sign leighton as our goalie. if that is the case then i do not want hamhuis.

I can see both sides. On one hand, you can argue that a solid top 5 makes a goalie look a little better. On the other, you can argue that a stud goalie can make up for a little defensive deficiency.

soulxflare

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea, i would just rather have a better goalie. we just need one for 2 or 3 years until one of our prospects is ready.

I guess the bigger question is, on 7/1, are guys going to start flying off the shelves -- or are they going to try and play teams off of one another to get the bigger payday?

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i seriously have no clue what is going to happen on july 1st. the way this offseason is going, they will just all re sign with their teams. haha. seriously, this offseason is boring.

GagneFire12

Miley Cyrus, say what?
In a flat with tinted sunlight and creaky floorboa
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn isn't signing for less than 3, IMO. With Homer's cap management history, he needs to leave himself some leeway. We know there will be a mass amount of injuries next season, because let's face it, this is the Philadelphia Flyers we are talking about.