• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

No calls for holding for 8+ games

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've posted quite a bit about this on our board, but it should be a concern for all fans of the NFL.

There hasn't been a holding call on any opponent for Dallas for 8+ games.

I know, I know... It sounds like a Cowboys' fan just going off about officiating to explain our losses. THAT'S NOT THE CASE! I know that Dallas has played less than stellar football. Our offense can't execute. Our coaches don't make adjustments at halftime, to say nothing of anywhere else in the game.

BUT... shouldn't it be a little bit disconcerting that 0 flags have been thrown for offensive holding in OVER 8 games for the opponent of the Cowboys? In the history of the league, this has NEVER happened. The closest it has ever come is not quite 3 games.

Suddenly, six teams that are averaging almost 2 offensive holds per game commit 0 holds when playing the Cowboys.

Let it be known that for the first half of the season, the Cowboys were leading the league in sacks and tackles for a loss. Let it also be known that the team this happened to also happened to be the team that was embroiled with RG on two fronts (Zeke's domestic abuse and JJ's suit against JG's contract renewal).

There are other stats that are as disconcerting: 1) Every team, with the exception of one, has been the greatest beneficiary of at least one category of penalty. That lone exception is the Dallas Cowboys. 2) Only one team is the least benefited of over 60% of all penalty categories, which has not happened since this stat began being recorded. That team is again the Dallas Cowboys.

No one wants to believe in a conspiracy. I don't either. The problem now is that the stats are hard to get around. The probability that this happens to a single team 8 games in a row is astronomical.

Run the numbers and see for yourself.

latest

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think refs get the memo on players and certain teams and they might call things tighter against them, I"m not saying it's just the Seahawks either... But it sure seems like some games they just start calling things incredibly tight for whatever reason, and then some games they just let um play physical the whole game...
It's definitely inconsistent, but it's that way across the board.

And some teams are more aggressive than others and commit more penalties. Seattle is definitely one of those teams.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem is there is no pressure being applied by the Cowboys HC. He just stands there and claps. A good HC would absolutely be screaming at the refs by now.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Dallas needs a better D linemen that need to be held to stop them from getting to the QB

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real problem is there is no pressure being applied by the Cowboys HC. He just stands there and claps. A good HC would absolutely be screaming at the refs by now.

Thats a real Jerruh problem there

he needs a puppet, great Head Coaches wont go near his ego and controlling ways, so the Cowboys have to suffer with a guy obviously not qualified to be a top tier coach in the league, be interesting to see how it plays out

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id be interested to see how this ranks vs other teams in the league

How huge is the disparity between the Cowboys and other teams

On the season, Dallas has had 19 holding calls against them. Their opponents have had 4. I'm not sure how large margins are for other teams (that would take a lot of work), but Dallas is the least benefited team of offensive holding by a wide margin from the second least benefited team.
The lowest number of holds called on any team for the season is 7.
The league average is 1.3 per game.

Here are the number of holds called on the teams who have been involved in this 8+ game stretch:

LA Rams: 12 on the season
GB: 7 on the season
SF: 17 on the season
Was: 13 on the season
KC: 19 on the season
Atl: 15 on the season
Phi: 15 on the season
LA Chargers: 7 on the season

The average of just these 8 teams of holds per game is 1.31. Yet, inexplicably, all of them, for one game against the same team, suddenly commit 0 holds.

The probabilities are so staggering that it's beyond just coincidence. It's like taking 32 pencils, throwing them all up in the air, and having 8 of them land pointing due north, and only those same 8 pencils happened to all touch one particular pencil while in the air which none of the other pencils touched.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the season, Dallas has had 19 holding calls against them. Their opponents have had 4. I'm not sure how large margins are for other teams (that would take a lot of work), but Dallas is the least benefited team of offensive holding by a wide margin from the second least benefited team.
The lowest number of holds called on any team for the season is 7.
The league average is 1.3 per game.

Here are the number of holds called on the teams who have been involved in this 8+ game stretch:

LA Rams: 12 on the season
GB: 7 on the season
SF: 17 on the season
Was: 13 on the season
KC: 19 on the season
Atl: 15 on the season
Phi: 15 on the season
LA Chargers: 7 on the season

The average of just these 8 teams of holds per game is 1.31. Yet, inexplicably, all of them, for one game against the same team, suddenly commit 0 holds.

The probabilities are so staggering that it's beyond just coincidence. It's like taking 32 pencils, throwing them all up in the air, and having 8 of them land pointing due north, and only those same 8 pencils happened to all touch one particular pencil while in the air which none of the other pencils touched.

Nice work, that is a pretty staggering number only 4 holding calls for their opponents

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he needs a puppet, great Head Coaches wont go near his ego and controlling ways, so the Cowboys have to suffer with a guy obviously not qualified to be a top tier coach in the league, be interesting to see how it plays out

Ding! Ding! Ding! It drives me crazy how JG just stands there with his arms crossed and pulling them apart only to move his mic so he can spit.

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Streaks like this are only a big deal when your team is good, and when they're not getting blown out every game by scores like 27-7, 37-9, and 28-6.

Now they shouldn't get blown out tonight, and i'd expect a holding call on the skins at some point since the nfl does here about these things and probably doesn't want this discussion to continue, but the Cowboys certainly have much, MUCH bigger things to worry about......

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Streaks like this are only a big deal when your team is good, and when they're not getting blown out every game by scores like 27-7, 37-9, and 28-6.

Now they shouldn't get blown out tonight, and i'd expect a holding call on the skins at some point since the nfl does here about these things and probably doesn't want this discussion to continue, but the Cowboys certainly have much, MUCH bigger things to worry about......
Oh stop. If not for the holding discrepancy, Dallas would be 8-0 in the last 8.

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh stop. If not for the holding discrepancy, Dallas would be 8-0 in the last 8.
LOL! The most amusing part to me is that there are definitely people in that "fanbase" of theirs who think this is a bigger deal than their own incompetence on both sides of the ball lately. They really are a hoot and a half, aren't they

Eiknarflin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this assessment. The last three games without Zeke have demonstrated severe weaknesses in our offense.

I'm not saying Dallas would be leading the division if the average number of holds had been called. That seems unlikely given some of our other issues (six sacks by one man before JG figured he better give some help to the left tackle, Dez can't catch any pass if the defender so much as touches his back, dbs consistently playing 15 yards off and giving up 8 yards almost automatically, no half time adjustments, etc.).

On the other hand, no other category of penalty affects the outcome of games more than offensive holding. 90% of all TDs that are called back are because of offensive holding. Well over 50% of all first downs that are called back are for offensive holding. Take away an average of two holds per game and it significantly affects the outcome of the game. In just the last game there was a 14 point swing in exactly this way. Dak ran one for 30+ yards only to have it brought back by a hold, which, quite frankly, even the league as said wasn't really a hold. Then, with the game still on the line in the 4th quarter, a blatant hold allowed Rivers the time to complete a pass that put the Chargers up by two scores making is necessary for Dak to take chances with so little time left in the game. That's ultimately what caused the score of that game to be lopsided - one bad holding call and one missed hold. That's the kind of impact that one non-call can have, especially when it's holding.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Khalil Mack gets held 20 times a game

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard a Gruden rumour.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell needs to be kicked in the teeth for ruining the Cowboys season. The lack of holding penalties is only part of the issue. The refs are also ignoring blatant face masks and other obvious personal fouls. Goodell can go fuck himself

You should stop whining.

First of all, Dallas has not been hit more with penalties than many other teams.

Second, Fletcher Cox was dominating Zach Martin, who was tackling him play after play - without being called..

edit: Also, holding might be a direct result of the level of play of the Dallas O-line. Which simply might not be as good as many Dallas fans (and the media) hype it up to be.