• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: NLCS Giants vs Cardinals

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought that just 3 years into the WC-round era we would have a WC vs WC World Series? I certainly thought that it would take a LOT longer for this to happen.

Now some people are going to overreact and say that the WC team shouldn't have any home games when they play a division winner.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or that the WC team's best pitcher has to pitch with the opposite hand.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought that just 3 years into the WC-round era we would have a WC vs WC World Series? I certainly thought that it would take a LOT longer for this to happen.
Its a little surprising considering that the WC team is at a disadvantage against the team in the first round but the Giants got the Pirates with their rotation screwed up trying to win their division and the Nats....well...:noidea:

The Royals had an amazing string of events just to get out of the WC but the Angels had some holes.

Its really goes to show how far a bullpen and a team that can string together hits can go. Its what the Cards have been doing over the years but our bullpen and defense weren't quite as good as they usually are.

It just dawned on me that the Cardinals have to worry about the real prospect of Yadier Molina possibly breaking down soon which is weird because he is a year removed from being an MVP caliber player but he has been ridden hard since 2006.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its a little surprising considering that the WC team is at a disadvantage against the team in the first round but the Giants got the Pirates with their rotation screwed up trying to win their division and the Nats....well...:noidea:

The Royals had an amazing string of events just to get out of the WC but the Angels had some holes.

Its really goes to show how far a bullpen and a team that can string together hits can go. Its what the Cards have been doing over the years but our bullpen and defense weren't quite as good as they usually are.

It just dawned on me that the Cardinals have to worry about the real prospect of Yadier Molina possibly breaking down soon which is weird because he is a year removed from being an MVP caliber player but he has been ridden hard since 2006.

Catchers have VERY short shelf-lives. Just look at Ruiz in Philadelphia and Mauer in Minnesota. Two studs who hit the wall fast and hard.

It really makes you appreciate the Fisks and Benches all the more (Ivan I am leaving out of the discussion for obvious reasons). There has been a LOT of talk in the Giants blogosphere over the last couple years about getting Posey out from behind the dish for just this reason.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been a LOT of talk in the Giants blogosphere over the last couple years about getting Posey out from behind the dish for just this reason.
I think the Giants kinda have to. Posey is a franchise hitter for the next decade. Turns and drives on a ball really well and you wouldn't want the position screwing up him lower body, feet, legs, etc.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Giants kinda have to. Posey is a franchise hitter for the next decade. Turns and drives on a ball really well and you wouldn't want the position screwing up him lower body, feet, legs, etc.

AND...

If you look at his positional splits, he puts up legit MVP numbers when he is not behind the dish, and only puts up avg/good numbers when he catches.

Susac gives us the solution at catcher, but we do not have a position for Posey, yet. Belt needs to have a full season before we know if he is legit or not, and Posey has never played 3B (although his skillset appears to translate well to the hot-corner). The FO has been quite adamant that he is not an option at 3B should Panda leave, but I would not expect them to say otherwise while Panda is still around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AND...

If you look at his positional splits, he puts up legit MVP numbers when he is not behind the dish, and only puts up avg/good numbers when he catches.

Susac gives us the solution at catcher, but we do not have a position for Posey, yet. Belt needs to have a full season before we know if he is legit or not, and Posey has never played 3B (although his skillset appears to translate well to the hot-corner). The FO has been quite adamant that he is not an option at 3B should Panda leave, but I would not expect them to say otherwise while Panda is still around.

Posey did play SS in college, IIRC. Obviously, he can't play SS in MLB, but perhaps he can be a good enough infielder to play 3B. Maybe that's the answer. We'll have to let Panda walk because we can't afford him. Put Posey at 3B because Belt will be our 1B for years to come.