• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NIT or CBI?

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, after our road loss at Oklahoma, we are 16-14 with a home game against Kansas and a tournament game likely against Texas Tech in a #8 vs. #9 matchup in the Big 12 tournament. I truly believe to make the NIT, we need TWO more wins. In other words, the Mountaineers are going to have to take care of business against Texas Tech AND pull an upset verses Kansas in one of the two (possibly) times we play them in the next two weeks. That would make WVU 18-16 or 18-17, depending which time we pulled the Kansas upset (if it were to happen in the Big 12 tournament, there'd be at least one more game)

All that being said, would the CBI be a better fit for the Mountaineers this season? We'd have home games, probably all we want. This is a very young team, so it wouldn't be a "waste' as it could be perceived by some. And, we'd be more likely to play more than one game, which leads to extra practices for next season.

Thoughts?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question considering the differing opinions we all had on the football team and the similar situation with practices and the bowl game.

With the bball team I think we have really seen about as much as we need to see in terms of what this team can do..I am not sure more time with the same unit is going to help this team, it is my opinion that without the missing links inside the paint this team has a limited ceiling. If they play more games great, but if they don't I would not imagine it would set us back.

I still think coaching had a lot to do with this skid and not even X's and O's, but just the handling of the team off the court and in the media.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe WVU will make the NIT. It is well accepted that WVU is playing in the toughest conference in America. I think they need to win one more game to solidify this invitation.

I think schools have to pay to play in the CBI. With that being said, I don't think WVU should play in it. The fan base has already revealed it will not support WVU's basketball team for anything outside of a big time opponent, and even some of those have drawn less than 10K to the Coliseum. I don't imagine more than 4K showing up for a poor opponent like the CBI might draw.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fan base has already revealed it will not support WVU's basketball team for anything outside of a big time opponent, and even some of those have drawn less than 10K to the Coliseum. I don't imagine more than 4K showing up for a poor opponent like the CBI might draw.

Very good point, it really makes no sense.... Different sport but look at the game the other night for the ladies compared to what the fans for Baylor did on Saturday. Baylor was pretty packed and loud, we had empty seats every where and it really seemed like the fans were not into it. Our team is 27-3 and they still don't support.

What is up with the fans?

It is like Morgantown has turned into a stuck up fan base taking our teams for granted.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sucks!

The WVU women's players were begging fans to come out and support them on Senior Night, and the team drew 5K. One of the most talented senior classes in WVU women's basketball history, and they were one of the worst supported teams in the Big 12 this year.

WVU fans… the best in the country…

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points.

Speaking as someone who would have a 2 1/2 drive to Morgantown, the weather here has been brutal this winter. That has caused high schools, middle school, and elementary schools sports teams; who normally try to schedule around WVU, to have make up dates during mid week WVU games.

I still would like to see them in the CBI personally. Great seats I'd assume, and as a youth BB coach, I'd actually like it. Just me.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is an NIT team. That doesn't mean we'll be there, but we should. The NIT SHOULD be for teams 69-100. I certainly think that WVU is in that category. I haven't looked at the numbers recently, but a few weeks ago WVU was a decent run from being a bubble team for the dance.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the win at Home versus Kansas, we have sown up an NIT birth.

If we beat Texas, we will likely get an NIT 2 seed. A loss puts us at a 5 seed. Ironically, we'd likely play Illinois right now, which can not play at home. Kind of cool, we are looking at another home game.

With the Texas upset, it may bring home a West Virginia high school player to finish his collegiate career, Florida Gulf Coast, which garnered a NIT at-large by winning the A-Sun regular season. Chase Fieler, from Parkersburg South, plays for FGCU. I believe FGCU gets a low 7 seed. If we get Texas and lose to OU, we'd get a high 2. That would be a fun game to see in the Coliseum!