• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NFC East thoughts

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think the Cowboys switching to a 4-3 defense will make the defense better, even this year from last. I know it is a transition but it really isn't new. The cowboys weren't really good last year on defense so the bar isn't that high. My concerns with the Cowboys is the OL & DL. That will dictate how good the boys are this year. The other teams fans may like to focus on Romo, but if the team struggles it will be because of the trenches not the QB.

Washington. Well what concerns me with them isn't the running or the speed of RGIII. When he came in I was expecting Mick Vick part II. Which would have some success initially but those types of QBs always fall short in the playoffs. So I was originally not worried about RGIII. Problem that concerns me is he actually showed the ability to pass the ball. So he can be a problem if the DCs don't come up with a decent enough game plan for him this year.

The Giants. I still believe Eli is overrated, but he is a good football player & what worries me about the Giants is their coaching. They to me have the most disciplined team & while I don't think they have a better team than the Cowboys or the Skins, I do think their advantage is the coaching.

The Eagles. Well the wildcard here is a whole new Coaching staff. Seen some teams have a great 1st year with a new coach & others flop in their 1st year. To me though if Mick Vick starts for the Eagles, they are doomed. This is the NFC East so we never really know, but this is the one team I would bet on being sub .500. Also think it would be smart to go with the Rookie if they think he is the future, & shows something in training camp. I wouldn't just hand the job to Vick. In fact I agree with the coach that said (think it was mora) that Vick is a coach killer.

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post Schmoop..... Heres my take.

1st Redskins, I am giving them the respect they deserve for winning the division and I think they would have gone further if RG3 wasnt hurt. THey have a stud QB, a stud RB and capable WRs. I know Dallas and Philly were hit hard by injuries but the Redskins lost their 1st and 2nd best defensive player. If RG3 is fine I expect a repeat.

2nd Cowboys, I've always respected Romo and will be interested to see if the Cowboy fans miss him when he leaves. The skill players on offense are set. I think you can win with a mediocre OLine in the regular season but the game completely changes in the playoffs. I dont really see anything different about this team then last year. No money to spend in FA. Centers just dont have huge roles in winning games. I'd use the rookie at guard.

3rd Giants They always find a way. Manning has proved he can put a team on his back and they have great WRs. Im concerned about the D. JPP fell back to earth last year and he is so important to that team. When he is balling the D completely changes.

4th Eagles. The Eagles are in big trouble on D. They are asking career long DEs to now play LBer? WHo is going to put any pressure on the QBs. What a long fall from 2 years ago when they led the NFL in sacks. THey wont be able to pressure the QB and the secondary is a complete mess. THere recieving core is good and we will see if the rookie TE will help. Good coaches play to there teams strength and I dont know if Chip Kelly can do that. This team could potentially have the best RB's and OLine in the NFL. The OLine could go from bad to dominant in one off season. THe rookie RT is a project though. Hes a great athlete but who knows if he can come in year one and dominate. He was called a high potential project by most draft gurus. The left side of the line might have the best LT and LG in the league. If Chip pounds the rock, particularly to the left the could win some games. One thing I dont get is Vick being considered as fragile. He gets POUNDED OVER AND OVER AND OVER but no man can take the abuse he takes. I think he is tough as nail but there is a breaking point. I just think there are too many "IFs" on this team for them to challenge.

blue jersey jinx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the giants and especially the Cowboys were not mash unit of key injuries, the foreskins would have never made the playoffs. Get a grip ncmalko. Deadskins are way over rated.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice post Schmoop..... Heres my take.

1st Redskins, I am giving them the respect they deserve for winning the division and I think they would have gone further if RG3 wasnt hurt. THey have a stud QB, a stud RB and capable WRs. I know Dallas and Philly were hit hard by injuries but the Redskins lost their 1st and 2nd best defensive player. If RG3 is fine I expect a repeat.

2nd Cowboys, I've always respected Romo and will be interested to see if the Cowboy fans miss him when he leaves. The skill players on offense are set. I think you can win with a mediocre OLine in the regular season but the game completely changes in the playoffs. I dont really see anything different about this team then last year. No money to spend in FA. Centers just dont have huge roles in winning games. I'd use the rookie at guard.

3rd Giants They always find a way. Manning has proved he can put a team on his back and they have great WRs. Im concerned about the D. JPP fell back to earth last year and he is so important to that team. When he is balling the D completely changes.

4th Eagles. The Eagles are in big trouble on D. They are asking career long DEs to now play LBer? WHo is going to put any pressure on the QBs. What a long fall from 2 years ago when they led the NFL in sacks. THey wont be able to pressure the QB and the secondary is a complete mess. THere recieving core is good and we will see if the rookie TE will help. Good coaches play to there teams strength and I dont know if Chip Kelly can do that. This team could potentially have the best RB's and OLine in the NFL. The OLine could go from bad to dominant in one off season. THe rookie RT is a project though. Hes a great athlete but who knows if he can come in year one and dominate. He was called a high potential project by most draft gurus. The left side of the line might have the best LT and LG in the league. If Chip pounds the rock, particularly to the left the could win some games. One thing I dont get is Vick being considered as fragile. He gets POUNDED OVER AND OVER AND OVER but no man can take the abuse he takes. I think he is tough as nail but there is a breaking point. I just think there are too many "IFs" on this team for them to challenge.
I don't think Vick is fragile. I think he is inaccurate. I was hoping RGIII was gonna be like Vick actually. As far as the Cowboys Center. I hope & believe they better leave him at center. That has been a huge problem for the boys for many years now. If the cowboys get lucky enough to make the playoffs, I don't see them going far. Easier to find a quality Guard next year than ignoring fixing the center position. So I have to disagree with you there. I think the skins will win it again (as of right now) this year. but believe it will go down to the final week or so. This is always a tight division

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why does EVERY poll from every major network all have the Skins finishing ahead of the Cowboys. THe RedSkins lost there best two players on D. Philly lost their entire OLine. But its just Dallas who had to over come injuries, correct?

PhoenixEagles1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,730.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Vick is fragile. I think he is inaccurate. I agree bro!

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why does EVERY poll from every major network all have the Skins finishing ahead of the Cowboys. THe RedSkins lost there best two players on D. Philly lost their entire OLine. But its just Dallas who had to over come injuries, correct?

Dallas had a lot of injuries. Giants had less injuries than the Redskins did. What Griffin did as a rookie is even more impressive when you consider that his two best receiving threats missed half the season. Defense was hit a bit harder, Our best pass rusher, our best interior pass rusher... gone game one. Both safeties who were supposed to start the season, played a combined one half of football for the Redskins last year.

Biggest problem for the Redskins over the past 15 years has been a lack of a true franchise QB. They definitely have that now. If he's healthy to start the season I expect the team to be in the playoffs again. If the safety situation is fixed and the pass rush is improved with Rak back and the other additions they made, like drafting Brandon Jenkins, signing Tapp for depth and pass rush help... they could make some noise in the post season.

I like the Giants a little more than the Cowboys because I do think that switching defensive schemes will be an adjustment, and like I said in another thread... the Cowboys really need a running game. Just think the Giants are a bit more stable across the board. But I do think like last year, it'll be a close race into the final month for the division. Think the Eagles are in complete rebuild mode and will have some growing pains for the next couple years while they adjust to the post Reid era.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have not found ONE preseason magazine putting the Skins in first.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warpath, Anyone saying what RGIII did is unimpressive is either a fool or a troll. He scares this shit out of me. That said if I was a Skins fan I'd be happy he was my QB but I have major concerns about his knee and the possibility of his career being cut short due to his knee.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manster, health is obviously a concern. I'm encouraged by everything I've heard and seen regarding his recovery and think he'll be ready for the season. But definitely worried about it happening again. He needs to do a much better job of protecting himself. Slide, run out of bounds, or learn when to throw the ball away. Most of the mistakes he made had to do with him protecting himself, rather than the typical rookie mistakes.

Also hoping that with the cap penalty over with after this year, that they put more of an emphasis on putting a better line in front of him. They are able to mask that weakness quite a bit with scheme, but Polumbus is so bad that even the scheme doesn't mask him.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Manster, health is obviously a concern. I'm encouraged by everything I've heard and seen regarding his recovery and think he'll be ready for the season. But definitely worried about it happening again. He needs to do a much better job of protecting himself. Slide, run out of bounds, or learn when to throw the ball away. Most of the mistakes he made had to do with him protecting himself, rather than the typical rookie mistakes.

Also hoping that with the cap penalty over with after this year, that they put more of an emphasis on putting a better line in front of him. They are able to mask that weakness quite a bit with scheme, but Polumbus is so bad that even the scheme doesn't mask him.
I hope he regains full health in his knee, but as a Cowboys fan I won't be sad if he doesn't. I hope you understand.

Eriko212121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dallas will win the division. When all four teams are healthy, Dallas is the most talented IMO. Their holes at OL and in the secondary have been upgraded and the switch to 4-3 will help their D. Even with the injuries and Rob Ryan, this team went 8-8. 11-5 this year

I see the Giants finishing second. They haven't had losing seasons with Eli, so they're starting out 8-8 in my book. Add in a nice draft, 10-6

I have the Redskins 3rd at 7-9. I think the Redskins took some people by surprise last year. This year, DC's will be much more prepared for the read option, RG3 is gonnna be kept in the pocket more, and they face a first place schedule this year. They also had no number 1 pick this year(or next). Not their year

The Eagles will suck. They have some talent, but I think their coach will flop and they are weak at QB 4-12

SickFelonIsGOAT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate to admit this but I would rank it like this.....

1st.... Giants - I choose them because of consistency and coaching. I agree with Schmoopy that Eli is overrated. Not saying he isn't good, but not top 5 and not sure I would rank him top 10. That being said, they have the most consistency regarding coaching and players returning, and very well disciplined.

2 and 3.... This is honestly a toss up for me between the Redskins and Cowboys - The Cowboys are more talented in my opinion but I don't think Garrett is a good coach, and them switching schemes on D could be a problem as well as their O-line and D-line (with Ware and Spencer being undersized for DE) being their weakest spots. I like RG3 but how will he come back from injury, and I don't think Cousins can make the team just as good even though Redskins fans think the team won't miss a beat with Cousins in. I also think the option will lose some of its effectiveness during this 2nd year of some teams trying to use it and others being able to gameplan for it.

Last.... Eagles - This team is obviously behind everyone, but I wouldn't sleep on them. This team is still very talented, and could shock the division by winning it. Don't think they will but possible if Kelly can get this team to work together and work hard. The Defense is the biggest reason for them being behind everyone. Not only do we have a lot of new names but a new scheme and players being put in positions they never played. Davis also has never proven to be that good of a D-Coach, but you never know. I also agree with Schoompy that this team will be worse with Vick. He was never a good QB, just the most athletic. He is a coach killer. Hopefully Kelly learns and cuts him before the season starts.

theTonyRomoShow

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:cheer2:As we entered the 2012 season, there was one thing clear – the Philadelphia Eagles would win the division. The Cowboys and Giants would wrestle for second place. The Redskins would finish in their familiar spot, last place. As 2012 came to a close, it was quite the opposite. The Redskins won the division, the Cowboys and Giants fought for second place, but the Eagles finished in fourth place with little dignity. It is clear that predictions are just thought-out guesses.

2013 is upon us now. Each team in the NFC East has a flare about them. The Redskins have the ultra-versatile RG3, the Eagles have a new offensive attack full of speedy weapons, the Giants have a methodical offense with a studly defensive line and the Cowboys have a superstar team on paper.

:couch2:Although the Redskins rookie duo of RG3 and Alfred Morris was sensational last season, I expect the Redskins, even with a healthier defense, to struggle this season now that teams have gotten the chance to a see the wildcat offense. Although Chip Kelly will rejuvenate the Philly fan base, they will quickly realize how good they had it with Andy Reid. Even though Kelly has talent similar to the guys he had at Oregon he will find the NFL harder to maneuver against. This offensive coach will also struggle on defense. The Giants like to lay low in waiting and will be in the race down the stretch for the playoffs. That leaves us with the Cowboys. 2012 they fought off injuries most of the year, fell behind early and often and had swiss cheese on the offensive line. The defense looks to be healthy and the offense has been replenished well in the draft.

:director:I'm not going to say the records for the season for each team as my input on the NFC East is that it will be as usual a hard fought battle week in week out.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wildcat?

Oh jeez...

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The read option FAD just like the wildcat, now LOL @ that Fish Eyed Fools! :laugh3:

#Lt. Dan has more knee Cartilage than RGKnee :wtf::wtf:

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a fad when teams can prove that they can stop it, Eastbay. Dallas couldn't last year, even when RG3 was hopping around on one leg. I actually hope teams gameplan against it. We'll see more of what happened last Thanksgiving much more regularly if they do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only a fad when teams can prove that they can stop it, Eastbay. Dallas couldn't last year, even when RG3 was hopping around on one leg. I actually hope teams gameplan against it. We'll see more of what happened last Thanksgiving much more regularly if they do.

Exactly it was one year, hence it is a FAD. The Ravens displayed the blue print in the SB, hit the QB every time, no matter if he has the ball or NOT!! Which should have been common sense to begin with.....

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd venture to say as NFL defense get longer looks at the Read Option (AKA Run and Shoot, Wildcat etc.) It will become less effective. Good luck in the near future because odds are the read option will disappear from the NFL as fast as it arrived.