• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newton signs

• Thread starter cubzzzfanincali
  • Start date
C

cubzzzfanincali

Well Cam got his dough. Personally, unlike my opinion of the Tannehill contract Miami got, I think the Panthers are overpaying.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he was a bear.............He is stuck down there with no wrs,no rbs and no o-line to help him out.

The guy can run and throw.9although he does get a little eratic with his throws at times).
If Carolina added those components for him,he`d be a beast.......he already has the top two years of qb`ing that a lot of qbs would have liked to have in their careers.
so I know he can be great...............

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he was a bear.............He is stuck down there with no wrs,no rbs and no o-line to help him out.

The guy can run and throw.9although he does get a little eratic with his throws at times).
If Carolina added those components for him,he`d be a beast.......he already has the top two years of qb`ing that a lot of qbs would have liked to have in their careers.
so I know he can be great...............

The guy has had absolutely fine WR play while there, along with decent O-line play. Steve Smith was great for him his first few years, Olsen has been very good. Kelvin Benjamin was one of the best offensive rookies out there last season.

Not to mention, his defense has been very solid.

Calling him erratic, at times… is more than generous.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
60 mil guaranteed. More than Cutler got by 6 mil.

I seem to remember being called a fool for insinuating that Cutler was simply the first in an upcoming wave of QB signings that would be like this. This is what QB's are worth now, even just serviceable starters.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, my friend, not sure I agree with you on this. Carolina's lines and WR groups have mostly sucked. Yes they overpaid, on that we agree, but Cutler has had way better supporting casts.

The only O lineman to sniff the Pro Bowl was Kalil, and he's a pretty mediocre center by most standards. Otherwise their line has been as bad as, or worse than ours. Cam runs for a reason.

Their WR group, outside of Smith, who himself is mercurial, has been very lame. Benjamin looked pretty good last year, and they drafted some dude who should improve things, but Carolina's receivers are generally known for being pretty weak.

But I agree, they overpaid. No way I would have offered him that kind of dough.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, my friend, not sure I agree with you on this. Carolina's lines and WR groups have mostly sucked. Yes they overpaid, on that we agree, but Cutler has had way better supporting casts.

The only O lineman to sniff the Pro Bowl was Kalil, and he's a pretty mediocre center by most standards. Otherwise their line has been as bad as, or worse than ours. Cam runs for a reason.

Their WR group, outside of Smith, who himself is mercurial, has been very lame. Benjamin looked pretty good last year, and they drafted some dude who should improve things, but Carolina's receivers are generally known for being pretty weak.

But I agree, they overpaid. No way I would have offered him that kind of dough.

Well, LaFell broke out and had a hell of a second half in NE last season. Steve Smith was fantastic for Newton. Olsen has been solid. I don't think the group has been fantastic, but it certainly has not been bad.

Fair enough when it comes to their O-line. Newton has just never impressed me at any point. He has a laser arm and is very athletic. His accuracy is inconsistent, at best. He has never once shown any real signs of improvement.

His defense has been solid for him since his rookie year. He won a playoff game versus Ryan Lindley, who could easily be the worst NFL QB I've ever seen. Along with Jonathan Quinn. He didn't even play well in the victory.

I guess, in the end, we agree. Just not necessarily on the talent of their WR corps over the past few years. I'll admit that last year, it wasn't great. Especially since Benjamin is still very raw at this point.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw this coming too... I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that high, but knew it was coming. Didn't see Tannehill's deal coming at all, but now just think what Russell Wilson is gonna get!
Who's next? I can't even think who else is in line?

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes you wonder what Seattle is going to have to give for Wilson.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
makes you give tons of credit to Wilson and his agent for waiting this out. If Cam got 60 guaranteed, Wilson should be in the 70's

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is 30-31-1........... that is what gets you 67 mil.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah Wilson...but...Andrew Luck is the real one to watch here.

I think Wilson will get overpaid, to some extent. I don't know, I'm still just not convinced he is all he is cracked up to be. Seattle has some cap space, but not a ton. And if you look at their multiyear cap table, what jumps out right away is that all of their highest paid guys (Sherman, Lynch, Bennett, Graham, Thomas) are all locked into long term deals, all of them at least through 2017, some to 2019. Their mid level and cheap guys are mostly short termers, so that gives them some flexibility. How do they both overpay for Wilson and resign guys like Okung at the higher price he is bound to get after next year? It's no wonder they haven't given Irvin what he wants...and why he's been so demonstrative about it....they CAN'T give him what he wants if they are going to overpay Wilson. Out of all this, I'd conclude they are going to try to offer Wilson more guaranteed money but a lower total contract value. Whether he accepts that or not is the question. I'm thinking he gets offered something like $22 million per year, and like a 6 year contract, with $75 million guaranteed, which to me is overpaying for him.

To me, Luck should actually have the highest contract value in the league. At the top of the scale, their expensive guys are cheaper and (by and large) on shorter contracts. Vontae Davis is the only super expensive contract they've got. Their roster is fatter in midrange guys ($3 to $7 million), and their midrange guys are locked down a lot longer than Seattle's. So...compared to Seattle, I think Indy will probably go ahead and offer him a longer contract, a very big signing bonus, but with a lower fraction of overall guaranteed money, and make the later years the big $$ years. I'd bet he will get somewhere around $27 million per year, and like
8 years, with $90 million guaranteed. Which if he becomes the league's best QB - and he probably will - will be a bargain in 2022 and such.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Cam got his dough. Personally, unlike my opinion of the Tannehill contract Miami got, I think the Panthers are overpaying.

IMO both are, but Cam has proven more than Tannehill.

Bottomline...when Dalton, Matt Ryan, Kaep, etc. started getting these big contracts...this was somewhat predictable.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Incidentally, I sure hope we get some news on our own guy (Jeffery) who really should be addressed this offseason. We have like $9 million in current cap space. Assuming no trades or significant cuts, that means they probably don't really have enough to do the extension unless they guarantee the shit out of it.

Lots of reasons why getting rid of Forte makes the most sense in terms of extending Alshon (Forte has almost no dead money, has a high cap hit if he stays, and he's getting old), but the fanbase would probably go apeshit so I doubt this happens. The second most likely casualty is Willie Young, who if cut would yield us a couple million more. His training camp I would say is crucial to him keeping his job. I'd love to see him traded. The other guys are either chump change in savings or good enough bargains to the team that any savings wouldn't be worth it.

Someone HAS to go, or else Alshon is going to go un-extended and we will have to pay through the gills to keep him next summer. Since the fanbase is too shortsided to see the long-run picture, it ain't gonna be Forte, no matter how much sense it makes. So I'm looking right at you, Willie. Thanks, you played great last year, hate to lose you, but surely some team needs a 4-3 DE that can rush the passer?

C

cubzzzfanincali

IMO both are, but Cam has proven more than Tannehill.

Bottomline...when Dalton, Matt Ryan, Kaep, etc. started getting these big contracts...this was somewhat predictable.

But Tannehill has one less season, and still has more remaining growth potential than Newton. Plus his contract is cheaper, has far less guaranteed money, AND is one year shorter. I don't think it's close...I'd say Miami clearly got the better deal than Carolina.

Just looking through the current contracts, I'd actually say Newton has overtaken Cutler for worst contract in the league at QB. Here is how I would rank the worst contracts:

1. Cam Newton
2. Jay Cutler
3. Alex Smith
4. Tony Romo (mainly due to his age and that he still has 6 on it)
5. Kaepernick (would be higher but team has more outs than the 4 above him)
6. Andy Dalton
7. Matt Ryan

This isn't a ranking of worst QBs, it's a ranking of my opinion of the contracts, based on performance, length of contract, guaranteed money, age, and contract flexibility (at least as I understand it).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Tannehill has one less season, and still has more remaining growth potential than Newton. Plus his contract is cheaper, has far less guaranteed money, AND is one year shorter. I don't think it's close...I'd say Miami clearly got the better deal than Carolina.

Just looking through the current contracts, I'd actually say Newton has overtaken Cutler for worst contract in the league at QB. Here is how I would rank the worst contracts:

1. Cam Newton
2. Jay Cutler
3. Alex Smith
6. Andy Dalton
7. Matt Ryan

This isn't a ranking of worst QBs, it's a ranking of my opinion of the contracts, based on performance, length of contract, guaranteed money, age, and contract flexibility (at least as I understand it).

I respect your opinion, but Cam clearly has done more than Tannehill, he should make more imo...considering your list...every last one of them is paid too much relative to production in games that really matter...it doesn't matter whose name is at the top. It's CAR's cap money...and I'm not a Panther fan so I don't care.

C

cubzzzfanincali

It's interesting, you wonder when the league is finally going to start having more examples of not overcommitting to the QB position. Yes it's obviously hugely important, but nobody is worth "whatever it takes." Maybe San Diego balking on extending Rivers is finally a sign that front offices may start finally drawing some lines on this and saving some money for the rest of the roster. Maybe.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting, you wonder when the league is finally going to start having more examples of not overcommitting to the QB position. Yes it's obviously hugely important, but nobody is worth "whatever it takes." Maybe San Diego balking on extending Rivers is finally a sign that front offices may start finally drawing some lines on this and saving some money for the rest of the roster. Maybe.

I think it will be more difficult to get top dollar on a 3rd contract unless you've delivered in the postseason...at this point for Rivers it's not about securing your future (his 2nd deal should've done that)...Ben took less guaranteed money, but he wanted to retire a Steeler, and he's still making plenty.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Cam Newton
2. Jay Cutler
3. Alex Smith
6. Andy Dalton
7. Matt Ryan

I disagree. Cam's contract is only marginally higher than Cutler's, but I also think he brings much more to the table at the QB position than Cutler does.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has had absolutely fine WR play while there, along with decent O-line play. Steve Smith was great for him his first few years, Olsen has been very good. Kelvin Benjamin was one of the best offensive rookies out there last season.

Not to mention, his defense has been very solid.

Calling him erratic, at times… is more than generous.

He has not had anything other than Smith for his first two seasons.Smith fell off the face of the earth so to speak and so did Cam. Olsen has been the bright spot of his receiving corps the last seasons...........but that's not enough.
Decent o-line?......no way in hell...............
Kelvin Benjamin?
he was ok.That's it.Just cause he was one of the better rookies,did not make him a top wr.

and his defense?............WTF does that have to do with Cam`s play?........nothing!

And he has no rbs...........And what he did have,they have been hurt most of the time.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, LaFell broke out and had a hell of a second half in NE last season. Steve Smith was fantastic for Newton. Olsen has been solid. I don't think the group has been fantastic, but it certainly has not been bad.

Fair enough when it comes to their O-line. Newton has just never impressed me at any point. He has a laser arm and is very athletic. His accuracy is inconsistent, at best. He has never once shown any real signs of improvement.

His defense has been solid for him since his rookie year. He won a playoff game versus Ryan Lindley, who could easily be the worst NFL QB I've ever seen. Along with Jonathan Quinn. He didn't even play well in the victory.

I guess, in the end, we agree. Just not necessarily on the talent of their WR corps over the past few years. I'll admit that last year, it wasn't great. Especially since Benjamin is still very raw at this point.

His first two seasons did not impress you?...................Those were record seasons for a qb......how was that not impressive?

Brandon lafell?.........please.

Cam newton is a beast.....I`d take him every day all day.Get him some wrs,o-line and a rb...........and watch him go.