• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Newton signs

• Thread starter cubzzzfanincali
  • Start date

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cali... I agree they need to lock up Alshon, but don't forget that big money will come off the books after this year. Freeing up money for Jeffery.
Allen and Forte will be out of contract and I'm sure we can assume some of the big money deals like Houston/Young could be gone after a year in new system. *not to mention Jay. All I'm saying is that there will be more money available on the cap after this year- it sucks for Alshon to wait and could force him to test the open market, but the Bears could be in a better position to offer more after the season then trying to fit his $ in a tight cap situation this year.
Also I'm hoping they could possibly use some of the est. 9M left to find or pick up a cut vet once training camp starts.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Yes, next offseason the money comes off, but...the reason you sign him this offseason instead of waiting until then is that his price is a lot cheaper if you do it now (unless he shits the bed). We wait until next year and we are bidding against the whole league, including several teams that are going to have oceans of cap space.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed- they just can't spend what they don't have. That's all... and I doubt Jeffery takes low ball offer anyway. don't see how they can offer a market value (even if less then what the open market will be) with their cap situation this off season. Hopefully we are talking near top dollar- because that means he's excelled this year.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, next offseason the money comes off, but...the reason you sign him this offseason instead of waiting until then is that his price is a lot cheaper if you do it now (unless he shits the bed). We wait until next year and we are bidding against the whole league, including several teams that are going to have oceans of cap space.

You have to think Alshon knows he's worth more after this season, if he plays well.

He's coming off of a year where he played often not at 100%, and his numbers were underwhelming because of it. I would love if we were able to ink him now, but I think he realizes the potential pay day he can get if he stays healthy and plays well. Which he is more than capable of.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy has had absolutely fine WR play while there, along with decent O-line play. Steve Smith was great for him his first few years, Olsen has been very good. Kelvin Benjamin was one of the best offensive rookies out there last season.

Not to mention, his defense has been very solid.

Calling him erratic, at times… is more than generous.

With all due respect, but maybe you have really watched many CAR games.

OL...CAR has struggled the last 3 or 4 years at both OT spots.

WR...They've had Smith, and they've had Smith...Olsen has been a great pick up for them at TE, and he's been targeted a ton. Benjamin essentially replaced Smith

Long story short on the Panthers and Cam imo...they spent way too much cap space on two RBs and not enough on outside threats or OL. They survived on DEF, and Cam making plays running/passing. Cam is not the most accurate QB, but CAR was a downfield passing game and 60% could be higher but not terrible.

Clearly not a world beater, but my point in this thread is he's as deserving as the other middle of the road QBs with big contracts. By-product of the era of overpaid QBs. What really jades some people on him is he hasn't always been a good leader...that's a valid complaint.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam newton is a player.......He needs a few more tools to help him out.

O-line.
wrs
and rbs........

He`d be set...........Carolina would be stupid to let him go.

C

cubzzzfanincali

O-line.
wrs
and rbs........

the one thing Newton has had is good running backs.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all due respect, but maybe you have really watched many CAR games.

OL...CAR has struggled the last 3 or 4 years at both OT spots.

WR...They've had Smith, and they've had Smith...Olsen has been a great pick up for them at TE, and he's been targeted a ton. Benjamin essentially replaced Smith

Long story short on the Panthers and Cam imo...they spent way too much cap space on two RBs and not enough on outside threats or OL. They survived on DEF, and Cam making plays running/passing. Cam is not the most accurate QB, but CAR was a downfield passing game and 60% could be higher but not terrible.

Clearly not a world beater, but my point in this thread is he's as deserving as the other middle of the road QBs with big contracts. By-product of the era of overpaid QBs. What really jades some people on him is he hasn't always been a good leader...that's a valid complaint.

I've watched a lot of every team play. I said in their second post I was wrong about the O-line.

"They survived on Def"… Come on, their D has carried them when they've been good for any stretch.

Cam struggles, mightily with consistency. I agree the status quo DOES 100% says he should get that contract. It's what QB's get nowadays and I am not arguing that. However, he's not very good. That's what I am debating.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've watched a lot of every team play. I said in their second post I was wrong about the O-line.

"They survived on Def"… Come on, their D has carried them when they've been good for any stretch.

Cam struggles, mightily with consistency. I agree the status quo DOES 100% says he should get that contract. It's what QB's get nowadays and I am not arguing that. However, he's not very good. That's what I am debating.

Compared to what?

IMO Cam is a middle of the pack QB...no more, no less...agreed, that's not very good compared to the top shelf QBs, but compared to the bottom feeders, he's not that bad...what I'm really saying here is QB play in the NFL drops off substantially once you get past the top 8 to 10 QBs.

This is a by-product of CFB offenses running schemes that do not work that well in the NFL. So far RW is the only true duel threat QB to win a SB and it's highly unlikely he would've done that without a stacked DEF.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

O-line.
wrs
and rbs........

Cam has a ways to go to become a consistent high level QB, but coming from a read option OFC I think he's made good strides in that direction just as Tannehill has.

CAR had two choices...continue to invest in Cam and surround him with better talent. Or, bring in a stop gap QB and draft another guy and start over.

Expensive, but I think they made the right choice too.

C

cubzzzfanincali

why does everyone forget that Steve Young was a running quarterback?

Also, and I know it isn't THE SAME as what is meant by today's "running QB", and they didn't have much in the way of set rushing plays called for them, but Staubach was a great running QB. His nickname was "Roger the Dodger" for a reason. And in Montana's early years, he was a good runner too.

But Steve Young was unambiguously a running quarterback. Wilson is not the first, and he won't be the last.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the one thing Newton has had is good running backs.

Huh?...........J-stew is average and hurt.

And D-Will had his better days before Cam got there and he has been hurt all the time since Cam has been there.

Sorry,but he really has had no help there.Some,but not alot.
D-Williams 14-10-15-6 games started for cam.
J-Stew 16-9-6-13 games played since cam has been there........
Those two are always hurt.......sorry

C

cubzzzfanincali

they've been a top 10 rushing team every year he's been there. They have Tolbert as a third back, who is better than some teams' number ones in some ways. His first season BOTH Williams and Stewart averaged 5.6 yards per rush in over 140 rushes apiece, which is lights out.

Yes, they have had injury problems, but they've always had depth, and considering how mediocre that line has been, those RBs have done pretty well. Definitely better than average.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never been a fan of running QBs, but Cam is the right size to do it. These small framed fast running QBs can't stay healthy. Cam is good but he will never be elite. You would think a hundred million would buy you a elite. Cam got the going rate for good now days.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they've been a top 10 rushing team every year he's been there. They have Tolbert as a third back, who is better than some teams' number ones in some ways. His first season BOTH Williams and Stewart averaged 5.6 yards per rush in over 140 rushes apiece, which is lights out.

Yes, they have had injury problems, but they've always had depth, and considering how mediocre that line has been, those RBs have done pretty well. Definitely better than average.

As I said.....Cam has had some help,but not a lot at rb........

Since Cam has been there,I believe he has been their number one rusher in yards......How can you have a qb be your no.1 rusher over the 4 years he`s been there?
He`s been their no.2 the last 3 yrs and their no.1 his rookie season.....

Yeah he gets a lot of help........

His rbs other than maybe mike Tolbert have not been dependable.........

J-Stew was 19th in rushing last season......
D-Will 18th in 2013......
Cam was 24th in 2012.......
The only reason they are ever in the top 10 in total rushing yds is cause of cam........Their rbs are not dependable what-so-ever........Cam has pretty much done it all for them.

Wish he was here in Chicago..............:nod:

C

cubzzzfanincali

Singularly, they have not been reliable, but as a group they absolutely have been. There were almost no weeks where one or the other of the main backs, and the better than average 3rd back were available. So blaming the running backs - as a group - really seems off.

And no Stewart didn't play every game last year, but he played most, and averaged 4.6 YPC. That's not good enough for you? The year before it was Williams who was usually around, he played most of the season, had over 200 carries, averaged 4.2 and fumbled once. 2012 they were rotating the games as primary back, but collectively the top two racked up 266 carries and over a thousand yards, not eye popping but very solid. And the year before that, they only put together the only pair of 140+ carries with 5.6 YPC in the modern era. Not good enough for you? OK, whatever.

And all this with perhaps the worst run blocking TE in the league, Greg Olsen.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has not had anything other than Smith for his first two seasons.Smith fell off the face of the earth so to speak and so did Cam. Olsen has been the bright spot of his receiving corps the last seasons...........but that's not enough.
Decent o-line?......no way in hell...............
Kelvin Benjamin?
he was ok.That's it.Just cause he was one of the better rookies,did not make him a top wr.

and his defense?............WTF does that have to do with Cam`s play?........nothing!

And he has no rbs...........And what he did have,they have been hurt most of the time.

this is the actual truth, 1 wr does not make a good corps, nor does 1 te, the rest have been atrocious, cam has had some mosnter stats, he needs some pieces around him, hes a stud

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rbs are not dependable..............plain and simple.

Don`t care about the whole......as a whole,they need someone dependable every game like Forte has been for us.Someone that Cam can count on game after game.
They have to tweak the gameplan to fit their abilities......That changes things.

Now that D-Will wwent to Pittsburgh,we will see how great the J-Stew is...........going down with another injury is really gonna hamper Cams play............He`s stuck in a shitty situation down there.
I actually thought Stewart should have been the one to go.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Williams is 32, which for runningbacks, is grandfather age. Stewart is 28. Stewart had a much better season last year than Williams, which reflects that Williams is basically finished.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why does everyone forget that Steve Young was a running quarterback?

Also, and I know it isn't THE SAME as what is meant by today's "running QB", and they didn't have much in the way of set rushing plays called for them, but Staubach was a great running QB. His nickname was "Roger the Dodger" for a reason. And in Montana's early years, he was a good runner too.

But Steve Young was unambiguously a running quarterback. Wilson is not the first, and he won't be the last.

In the USFL and in Tampa...Young was most definitely a runner...very athletic, but he ran to not get killed most of the time.

Montana ran to get key 1st downs or if the pocket broke down...but both quickly bought into the short passing game that became the WC offense. Even then they would still break the pocket and get yards running...somewhat different from the read option QB of today. RW imo was the 1st QB to play in or win a SB where the DE has to account for him as a runner on nearly every play.