• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: New York Rangers(2) vs. Philadelphia Flyers(3) | ECQF

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh and on the main board there are a couple of idiot pen fans trying to say that Mase wouldn't have made a difference if he played the whole series??? You know how idiotic you guys make your fanbase sound with comments like that...this is why the pens are one of my most hated teams mainly due to the lunacy from its fans and arrogance of its team starting with the captain...

He probably would've made a difference but at the end of the day Emery really just cost the Flyers 1 game (game 3), he was solid in games 1 & 2.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that him and crosby didn't plan this play at center but megna was obviously driving the net hard with his stick in a cross checking position. He didn't even go for the puck like most players would have he was completely content on driving Mac into Mase. Once Mac was falling he could have let up but he decided at that instant to keep cross checking both players to the ground. By doing so his stick slid off Mac and onto Mase creating more of a whiplash effect. It was clearer on my dvr as I could slow it down. Face it the tool was doing everything he could once in that position to finish both players...especially the goalie as that has been the hottest trend of late.

You don't need to defend that the pens are one of the dirtiest teams around everyone knows it. By the way glass was also running around taking liberties that game so the message was out from your coach to do some damage as the game didn't matter to them and guys like megna were completely expendable....dirty pricks you should be ashamed of your team for this not defending them.

I think what you're saying is that the Pens reputation is what makes this play dirty instead of the play itself. I fully agree that Megna should've kept his stick down, but that type of play happens often in hockey where players cross check each other in front of the net, just happened that on this instance Megna cross checked MacDonald into the goalie. Pens have a reputation mainly because of Matt Cooke, but we got rid of him and don't recall too many dirty plays this season with the exception of James Neal's knee to Brad Marchand's head. If we go based on reputation, a lot of fans judge the Flyers as a dirty team for the Broad Street Bullies and the fact the Flyers lead the league in penalty minutes this season.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play was dirty as the player had no intention of trying to score even though crosby whipped a pass right through the slot. He didn't have his stick down instead he chose to cross check his opponent into the goalie right down to the ground. It's crystal clear of his intent. Don't try to put a spin on this as it is what it is a dirty play. Reputation has nothing to do with this as megna hasn't been in the league long enough to develop one but the question can be asked were megna and guys like glass asked by his coaches to run players? Wouldn't shock me as some of the stuff that went on that game was a little overkill.

If you followed the Flyers this past year they still play hard nosed aggressive hockey but for the most part a lot of the cheap dirty stuff has been removed as they simply were getting called harshly on it. Most of the penalties are stupid stick infractions but nothing that dirty. Most of the times I see pens games or highlights it's always something cheap or dirty. Suspension worthy stuff that if the Flyers did they would be suspended for but the pens seem to skate away unscathed...very frustrating. Read the Paul Stewart article on neal and the pens you'll see that I'm not embellishing any of this.

Lastly it's very interesting that a protégé of bylsma signed cooke especially knowing his history up close. You'd think due to the previous ties he'd stay away from a dirty nutcase but I guess yeo felt that Minnie was far enough away so he could get away with it...until cooke of course embarrassed everyone again in this years playoffs. Do you want to defend yeo now for bringing cooke in or is he ok by pens standards still???

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Matt Cooke, wish we still had him for the PK. That's probably why Yeo wanted him on the team (Yeo was in charge of our PK). Cooke is the reason the Wild advanced to the 2nd round, even Patrick Roy admitted his knee to Tyson Barrie was the turning point in the series. Easily the most over hated player in the league, I think he's the type of guy you want on your team. Pens shouldn't have let him go.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess there it is pens fans would take a serial killer on there team just as long as he could kill penalties. I see that your morals are in the right place too bad that the game has to suffer for it as that cheap shot knee is something that should be removed not shocking that you believe that it was a good play. Discussion is over no need to go any further as you made your stance loud and clear....personally I don't socialize with people such as yourself so I'll largely ignore you. Adios.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess there it is pens fans would take a serial killer on there team just as long as he could kill penalties. I see that your morals are in the right place too bad that the game has to suffer for it. Discussion is over no need to go any further as you made your stance loud and clear....personally I don't socialize with people such as yourself so I'll largely ignore you. Adios.

Ok dude…peace

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Matt Cooke, wish we still had him for the PK. That's probably why Yeo wanted him on the team (Yeo was in charge of our PK). Cooke is the reason the Wild advanced to the 2nd round, even Patrick Roy admitted his knee to Tyson Barrie was the turning point in the series. Easily the most over hated player in the league, I think he's the type of guy you want on your team. Pens shouldn't have let him go.

If a potentially career ruining illegal play is what it takes to win a hockey series, I'D RATHER LOSE. I mean, I like the physical aspect of hockey, and you shouldn't take that away from the game. People will get hurt playing it. But that doesn't mean we have to encourage reckless endangerment of the safety of other players.

Saying you are okay with Cooke not just after that hit but because it won them the series is like saying you are okay with players not wearing helmets because they'll skate faster without the extra weight. You are unreasonably risking players livelihood for winning.

I expected better from you, Doob.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff with the Pens starts at the top. It starts and stops with Lemieux.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a potentially career ruining illegal play is what it takes to win a hockey series, I'D RATHER LOSE. I mean, I like the physical aspect of hockey, and you shouldn't take that away from the game. People will get hurt playing it. But that doesn't mean we have to encourage reckless endangerment of the safety of other players.

Saying you are okay with Cooke not just after that hit but because it won them the series is like saying you are okay with players not wearing helmets because they'll skate faster without the extra weight. You are unreasonably risking players livelihood for winning.

I expected better from you, Doob.

I'm not saying what he did to Tyson Barrie was a good thing. I think that was a disgraceful act and he should be punished fully for what he did. At the same time, when I look at the way the Wild responded after winning that series, Tyson Barrie's injury wasn't even an after thought. Pretty obvious they were fully content with the win no matter how they got it, and a huge reason they won was because Matt Cooke injured Tyson Barrie (without a doubt the most pivotal moment of that series). That's why I probably won't be rooting for the Wild to beat the Blackhawks even tho I normally root for the underdog.

At the same time, is it really fair to say that the Pens are a dirty team simply because Matt Cooke is kneeing people as a Wild player and because Mike Yeo was our assistant coach 4 years ago? Seems to me that Fin is being quite irrational with his anti-Penguin views (which is fine because he's a Flyer fan, but it's still irrational criticism IMO). Imagine if I came in here accusing the Flyers of being a dirty team because of what former Flyers and former coaches are doing on other teams. Wouldn't that be sort of silly?

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This stuff with the Pens starts at the top. It starts and stops with Lemieux.

I actually think it starts with our incompetent defense. Our guys are always out of position on D so they have to compensate for it by doing something über aggressive. I look at the Pens roster now, who is there that takes cheap shots other than James Neal (who is primarily there for sniping)? I think we've done a good job of filtering those type of players out. That's why we parted ways with Matt Cooke this offseason, even tho he had changed his game the prior 2 years.