• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

My review of the game

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hell of a game last night. It goes from this is unbelievably awesome to being extremely pissed off and swearing non-stop. Thank god we stopped the comeback and didn't lose this one.

~Kaepernick was again very good. He had some really, really nice passes, went through his progressions pretty good, had good scrambling ability, and showed good awareness. The pass to Crabtree over the middle was crazy good. Showed off some nice accuracy and great arm strength. His night could have been even better too but just barely missed a few throws, most notably to Vernon Davis. Kaepernick did have a few mistakes. The fumbles under center hopefully were because of the weather but still, there should not be that many. That could have costed us a lot more then it did. This needs to be cleaned up right away. The INT Kaepernick threw wasn't very good at all. Kaepernick miss read the defense and threw a pick in the endzone. He had a couple other near chances -mostly to Moss. He's a young player and will hopefully learn from the mistake. Luckily the mistake didnt prove to be too costly.

~Crabtree continues to impress. He is just showing some excellent YAC and has some great agility to make guys miss. He always seems to get a few yards and last night he was actually able to take one all the way to the end zone in a huge moment. With Vernon Davis pretty much disappearing Crabtree is definitely our greatest weapon. He has become clutch and a play maker for us. As was said above too, the catch Crabtree made over the middle for the touchdown was a thing of beauty. It was a difficult catch and Crabtree showed no fear having two defenders right by him ready to take off his head.

~The Defense was great in the first half. It's too bad they couldn't hold it up all game. I loved the match up of one of the top defenses going against the top offense. It would have been great to send a message that our defense shut them down. Unfortunately, we played soft when we got the big lead. NE was able to get a TD and our offense could not respond at all. Our defense was right back on the field and you could tell they were starting to get tired and momentum was changing along with some crappy penalties. I really think if our offense could have down SOMETHING just to give our D some rest we could have stopped the onslaught by the patriots.

~The coaching was very good in the beginning, then when we got the big lead like everyone saw, went way too conservative. I was saying it at the the time that there was just WAY too much time left in the game to be playing the clock half way thru the 3rd quarter. You just cant do this against explosive teams. Hopefully the coaching staff learned from this. Other then that, they had a good game plan. I loved seeing the shots down the field that we haven't been taking. We missed on a few of those shots but hit on some others. This keeps the defenses honest and makes us a much more dangerous offense.

~Lamichael James continues show some good ability. He had some pretty good runs and obviously the kick return was huge. We needed some momentum badly and he delivered. This is a nice weapon to have on our team.

~Aldon Smith started the game playing like a beast. Its too bad he didnt get a sack but was getting some nice pressure the first half. The 2nd half he, like the rest of our defense, kind of disappeared but again, I think this was because he was getting exhausted. Hopefully he able to rack up a few sacks these next couple of weeks and get to the record.

~The offensive line overall played a very good game. Their biggest flaw to date is that they struggle some times with pass protection. Last night they protected Kap very well and played a solid game.

~Akers is really struggling. It sucks getting so close to the playoffs that we might have to depend on him. I'm not sure if its a little bit in his head or the injury they have been bringing up, but hopefully he is able to get out of this slump.

~Overall this was a really important win. The Packers are right on a our tail for the #2 seed they have a pretty easy schedule to finish off the season. We have an important game next week and need to get the win vs Seattle. We a few injuries piling up, a much needed bye in the playoffs is extremely important for our team.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great write up. I would add to the L. James section that his decisions near the sideline while the niners were chewing clock were great to see from a rookie with only a handful of plays in his young career.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great write up. I would add to the L. James section that his decisions near the sideline while the niners were chewing clock were great to see from a rookie with only a handful of plays in his young career.

Yup, good point. Very good to see a young player playing smart and knowing the situation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
don't get the 4th and one formation with three RB's tightly surrounding Kaep? isn't that totally giving away the QB sneak? even if Kaep doesn't fumble and moves forward, that leaves three guys doing nothing?

wouldn't it be better to line them up behind Kaep, to at least show the potential to hand off?

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't get the 4th and one formation with three RB's tightly surrounding Kaep? isn't that totally giving away the QB sneak? even if Kaep doesn't fumble and moves forward, that leaves three guys doing nothing?

wouldn't it be better to line them up behind Kaep, to at least show the potential to hand off?

Agreed should have run the read option with an option to throw the ball if Kap keeps the ball. I don't understand why we don't run a play like that I've seen RGIII run it and its a thing of beauty.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is fair to say VD disappeared this game. CK overthrew him twice on what both times should have been TD passes where he got behind the defense.

Which again is pretty incredible when you think about it... this could have been a 5 or 6 TD game for CK.

CK had a pretty rough day to go along with his great passes that went for TDs though, was it like 6 times where he lost or had trouble with the snap? Gore erased one of them but the rest of the time it was pretty costly. I'm not sure who is more responsible, the center or QB... but they need to fix that because they will probably play in at least one cold/wet game in the playoffs. Shit, it might be a cold/wet game next Sunday...

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Agreed should have run the read option with an option to throw the ball if Kap keeps the ball. I don't understand why we don't run a play like that I've seen RGIII run it and its a thing of beauty.

for a 4th and 1 situation i'm ok if they QB sneak, but just don't get the formation they used? if you line 1 or 2 RB's behind Kaep, the D has to think more than QB sneak.

but if place Kaep under center AND place the three RB's tight behind him, what are you signaling? you're signaling it is a QB sneak.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The fumbles have gotta go......but other than that, Kap was pretty awesome. I know he was a pitcher when he played baseball, but in football he's a home run hitter. Always looking for the big play, and has all the tools to pull them off consistently.

Is Crabtree now the #1 WR nobody thought he could be?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fumbles have gotta go......but other than that, Kap was pretty awesome. I know he was a pitcher when he played baseball, but in football he's a home run hitter. Always looking for the big play, and has all the tools to pull them off consistently.

Definitely, NFL.com has him up at 9 fumbles this year with 2 lost. Last night's game probably muddied the waters, but, that is still horrible.

Crabtree is topping out at a great time, I hope he keeps it up throughout the playoffs.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"(It) was a nice job by Colin," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said. "(It's) not where he was supposed to go with the ball. It wasn't the intent of the play. But he saw what he saw, kicked it out to Michael and then Michael made a huge play."

Why did Kaepernick make that throw?

"I liked the matchup," Kaepernick said.

Wow, he wasn't even supposed to go to Crabtree on that last TD. Niiiiiice

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

nope. IMO he can become the 49ers #1...temporarily, but he won't be an NFL wide recognized #1.

but we're all liking his performances more and more, REALLY like how he is tucking the ball away MUCH better.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow, he wasn't even supposed to go to Crabtree on that last TD. Niiiiiice

I like how they put it here:

Then wide receiver Michael Crabtree told Kaepernick: "Put the ball up," so Crabtree could make a play. Kaepernick abandoned the play that was called, and threw a pass to Crabtree that was low. Crabtree scooped up the ball at the 32-yard line and ran into the end zone untouched for a 38-31 lead.

San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick withstand pressure in outlasting New England Patriots - ESPN

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
nope. IMO he can become the 49ers #1...temporarily, but he won't be an NFL wide recognized #1.

I suppose the stats aren't there, so recognition is impossible right now.....but he does seem to be playing like it, consistently making big plays and getting more out of plays than he should.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Crabtree is becoming that #1 receiver.

Our offense wont have numbers like others do but still, the last 3 games, Crabtree is averaging 100 yds a game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I suppose the stats aren't there, so recognition is impossible right now.....but he does seem to be playing like it, consistently making big plays and getting more out of plays than he should.

yes, he is beginning to play like it and if he gains consistency, will be the 49ers #1. i'm definitely liking it a lot too.

also noted, our offense won't generate big passing stats, so we all have to factor that in.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like how they put it here:

Then wide receiver Michael Crabtree told Kaepernick: "Put the ball up," so Crabtree could make a play. Kaepernick abandoned the play that was called, and threw a pass to Crabtree that was low. Crabtree scooped up the ball at the 32-yard line and ran into the end zone untouched for a 38-31 lead.

San Francisco 49ers, Colin Kaepernick withstand pressure in outlasting New England Patriots - ESPN

Interesting, that kinda makes it sound like the 49ers were lucky that the Patriots left Crabtree wide open.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell of a game last night. It goes from this is unbelievably awesome to being extremely pissed off and swearing non-stop. Thank god we stopped the comeback and didn't lose this one.

~Kaepernick was again very good. He had some really, really nice passes, went through his progressions pretty good, had good scrambling ability, and showed good awareness. The pass to Crabtree over the middle was crazy good. Showed off some nice accuracy and great arm strength. His night could have been even better too but just barely missed a few throws, most notably to Vernon Davis. Kaepernick did have a few mistakes. The fumbles under center hopefully were because of the weather but still, there should not be that many. That could have costed us a lot more then it did. This needs to be cleaned up right away. The INT Kaepernick threw wasn't very good at all. Kaepernick miss read the defense and threw a pick in the endzone. He had a couple other near chances -mostly to Moss. He's a young player and will hopefully learn from the mistake. Luckily the mistake didnt prove to be too costly.

~Crabtree continues to impress. He is just showing some excellent YAC and has some great agility to make guys miss. He always seems to get a few yards and last night he was actually able to take one all the way to the end zone in a huge moment. With Vernon Davis pretty much disappearing Crabtree is definitely our greatest weapon. He has become clutch and a play maker for us. As was said above too, the catch Crabtree made over the middle for the touchdown was a thing of beauty. It was a difficult catch and Crabtree showed no fear having two defenders right by him ready to take off his head.

~The Defense was great in the first half. It's too bad they couldn't hold it up all game. I loved the match up of one of the top defenses going against the top offense. It would have been great to send a message that our defense shut them down. Unfortunately, we played soft when we got the big lead. NE was able to get a TD and our offense could not respond at all. Our defense was right back on the field and you could tell they were starting to get tired and momentum was changing along with some crappy penalties. I really think if our offense could have down SOMETHING just to give our D some rest we could have stopped the onslaught by the patriots.

~The coaching was very good in the beginning, then when we got the big lead like everyone saw, went way too conservative. I was saying it at the the time that there was just WAY too much time left in the game to be playing the clock half way thru the 3rd quarter. You just cant do this against explosive teams. Hopefully the coaching staff learned from this. Other then that, they had a good game plan. I loved seeing the shots down the field that we haven't been taking. We missed on a few of those shots but hit on some others. This keeps the defenses honest and makes us a much more dangerous offense.

~Lamichael James continues show some good ability. He had some pretty good runs and obviously the kick return was huge. We needed some momentum badly and he delivered. This is a nice weapon to have on our team.

~Aldon Smith started the game playing like a beast. Its too bad he didnt get a sack but was getting some nice pressure the first half. The 2nd half he, like the rest of our defense, kind of disappeared but again, I think this was because he was getting exhausted. Hopefully he able to rack up a few sacks these next couple of weeks and get to the record.

~The offensive line overall played a very good game. Their biggest flaw to date is that they struggle some times with pass protection. Last night they protected Kap very well and played a solid game.

~Akers is really struggling. It sucks getting so close to the playoffs that we might have to depend on him. I'm not sure if its a little bit in his head or the injury they have been bringing up, but hopefully he is able to get out of this slump.

~Overall this was a really important win. The Packers are right on a our tail for the #2 seed they have a pretty easy schedule to finish off the season. We have an important game next week and need to get the win vs Seattle. We a few injuries piling up, a much needed bye in the playoffs is extremely important for our team.

I thought that was the biggest key.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Some random thoughts:

-Much better disciplined football in terms of penalties and offhand I don't think we had a false start or holding call and 3 of the penalties I thought were garbage calls (Brown PI, Goldson defenseless receiver call, and Boone's hands to the face).

-Even though CK had a few "Oh no" passes and had problems with the snaps I thought he played a really good game. Quite a few beautiful passes, read coverages well, didn't take any delay of games, and overall ran the offense quite well. Loved the fact that no stage seems too big for him and how nothing seems to affect him.

-I'm really staring to like LMJ. I have a feeling he's going to be really dangerous next season after he's had a year of NFL conditioning and experience. Seems like he's understanding more and more how to run in the NFL.

-Defense was flat out filthy much of the game aside from giving up 28 points in basically a quarter. But I will say I thought that was more due to our conservative play calling more then the lack of ability by our defense.

-Loved how we clutched up to finish the game. When the game was tied ST delivered with the 62 yard LMJ run, Offense put us up with that TD, and defense dug deep and shut down the Patriots offense after getting shredded for most of the quarter.

Didn't like:

-Second half coaching. Went way too conservative too early with a clock eating offense and a prevent defense which nearly cost us the game. No reason to stop doing what was working offensively and defensively at that point in the game.

-CK's INT. I'll give him the young player pass but he can't be making those kind of mistakes especially in the post season. Fortunately when he does make a mistake he typically answers in a big way.

-Ginn. At this point he has no usefulness on the team if he's going to continue to receive punts like he is. I'd rather take my chances with LMJ at this point to be honest.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
If Kaep keeps palying at this level, I don't think anyone can stop the 49ers.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaep keeps palying at this level, I don't think anyone can stop the 49ers.

The conservative coaching when leading worries me. Also the fg game and punt return game.