• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Morales On Mets Radar?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a post to Twitter, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney said, “A good team-friendly deal could develop for the Mets with 1B Kendrys Morales in February or March.”
Morales declined a one-year, $14.1 million qualifying offer from the Mariners, meaning he will cost his new team a top draft pick. As such, an MLB GMs recently predicted that Morales might have to wait to sign a deal until after the MLB draft in June (Gammons, Dec. 11).
The Orioles, Yankees, Rays, Brewers, Pirates and Rangers have all been connected in rumor to Morales, but there are no reports of any offer being made.
In October, Tim Dierkes predicted Morales would eventually ink a two-year, $28 million deal (MLBTR, Oct. 27).
Morales, 30, hit .277 with a .336 OBP and .785 OPS, 23 HR and 80 RBI in 156 games with the Mariners this past season.
Morales played 31 games at first base this season, but mostly served as Seattle’s designated hitter.

Metsblog | Latest News, Rumors and Opinion about the Mets

Wouldn't be against it, but he may be expensive. But certainly would give us a pretty solid 3-4-5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read if we don't move Ike he could still be bought out for $600K I believe in February, so his money is coming off the books somehow, some way. I have to think we'd need Murphy gone in order to afford this and this would make adding a major league ready SS almost impossible. Although a 3,4,5 of Wright, Grandy, Morales sounds pretty tempting, especially if D'Arnaud or Chris Young can step up and produce out of the 6 spot.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or should we just use the money to sign P Matt Garza and maybe another BP arm instead ?

And what happened to the Stephen Drew rumors....have they gone by the wayside??

No need for Garza with all the kids almost ready to come up. Garza will command 4-5 years at atleast 12M a season, we got our SP when we signed Colon..

Only thing that worries me with Morales is he doesn't play many games at 1B, he served as the DH many times last year. But the power may make it worth the struggle on the field.

Drew, still interested but think we prefer a two-year deal and he wants at least 3. Colon wanted two and we weren't interested but eventually caved in, hope we do the same for Drew.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want Drew, I have a feeling he'll be a bad signing. I don't want Garza either, he's looking for decent money and years, we don't need anymore SP. Currently we have Gee, Niese, Wheeler, Colon at the major league level with Mejia competeing for a spot in spring training. Then in the next year or 2 we have Montero, Syndergaard, deGrom and Harvey coming back. The money spent on Garza (a number 2 pitcher at best) I think could be better spent elsewhere.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll throw in Jeremy Hefner as well since he'll be ready to go.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the lineup stayed put it's already exponentially better in my opinion. I don't think Wright/Eric Young played in too many games together and he's the closest thing we've had to a leadoff guy of late. A lineup of Young Jr, Murphy, Wright, Granderson, Young, D'Arnaud, Duda, Tejada is pretty solid, certainly more so than the hacks we were trotting out last year. Throw in some major league experience for guys like Lagares, Flores and Den Dekker and we have an improved bench.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still prefer Ike over Duda. Hopefully Milwaukee gets really desperate and deals us Segura for Ike

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morales is a good bat but if I'm the Mets I'd be concerned about signing him.

The Mets are lucky that they won't have to give up a 1st round pick to sign Morales but it is worth noting that not only is Morales one of the worst runners in MLB but he is also terrible defensively. I would be massively concerned about Morales playing in the NL. His injury concerns are only going to be exuberated by being forced to play 1B every day.

Morales will give you a .280 avg 20-25 HR line but he is terrible defensively at 1st and forcing him to play defense 150 games a year could cause more injury concerns. I don't think the NL is a good fit for him.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it happening either, but I wouldn't be against it, even for one year. But I highly doubt he ends up here.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still prefer Ike over Duda. Hopefully Milwaukee gets really desperate and deals us Segura for Ike

I'd love to see it, but why in the world would they give us Segura for Ike?

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they get VERYYYY desperate for a 1B, especially now with Loney off the market

What sucks about the situation is that there are still guys like Smoak and Mitch Moreland available out there, among a few others. Personally, I'd love to see the Mets swing a deal for Brad Miller. Don't know what we'd give up for him, though. Can't see the Mariners having interest in either Ike or Duda. It just might be a good idea to hang onto Ike for another year and hope for a rebound.

And as much as it pains me to admit this, Duda should be moved. He's been one of my favorites, but he is a BUTCHER on defense no matter where they try to hide him. He really needs to go to the AL and DH.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What sucks about the situation is that there are still guys like Smoak and Mitch Moreland available out there, among a few others. Personally, I'd love to see the Mets swing a deal for Brad Miller. Don't know what we'd give up for him, though. Can't see the Mariners having interest in either Ike or Duda. It just might be a good idea to hang onto Ike for another year and hope for a rebound.

And as much as it pains me to admit this, Duda should be moved. He's been one of my favorites, but he is a BUTCHER on defense no matter where they try to hide him. He really needs to go to the AL and DH.

Would love Miller as well. They have a log-jam up the middle now.