• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kendrys Morales has turned down multiple contract offers from the Mariners

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners' need and the market for Morales - 710sports.com

Some highlights from the article:

Scott Boras tells ESPN's Jerry Crasnick that his remaining free-agent clients are prepared to wait until after the June draft to sign with teams. In light of this development it seems highly unlikely that there will be a reunion between Kendrys Morales and the Mariners. Doubly bad for the Mariners if Morales waits, as they then would not receive the draft pick they would get if he did sign before the draft. As a result, the pick they would forfeit for signing Robinson Cano would be their second-round pick rather than the pick they would gain for Morales signing elsewhere, which would fall between the first and second round.

Something to keep in mind here: The Mariners have made Morales two offers that I know of that he has turned down, the $14.1 million qualifying offer and a multi-year offer as well. There have been no reports that I have seen of offers from other teams. Interest perhaps, but actual offers? No. So the negotiation at this point most likely have Boras taking the stance that the Mariners need Morales and therefore they should pay X amount, with their stance being that there is no market for Morales so the team will set the amount.

Sounds to me like Boras is ready to hold out until June just to prove a point. I personally believe Morales would be better off simply signing a 1 year deal on opening day, then allowing Morales to hit the market without the draft compensation attached in a very slim free agent market.

Will be interesting to see how things play out. I would really like to see Morales back though, we could use him in the lineup.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what's kind of a sad thought? That at one time I'm sure Kendrys Morales was a kid and all he ever wanted to do was play baseball. Now Scott Boras is the devil on his shoulder, telling him that what's best for him is to not play at all for 1/2 the season to squeeze every last dollar out of someone.

At what point does a player tell Scott Boras to fuck off so he can go out and do what he loves doing and still make millions of dollars?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have little doubt that the M's will come out on the bottom of this situation.

It's Z's thing.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that it seems Hart will only be able to DH most of time pretty much eliminates us spending any money on Morales. If Hart could play outfield or if Smoak was traded there would be spot but it doesn't seem like there is. Unfortunately we failed at addressing the outfield this offseason and Almonte will back into a roster spot despite a terrible spring.

Although Z loves stock piling slow, defensive, DH type players so maybe he is a fit.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners' need and the market for Morales - 710sports.com

Some highlights from the article:

Sounds to me like Boras is ready to hold out until June just to prove a point. I personally believe Morales would be better off simply signing a 1 year deal on opening day, then allowing Morales to hit the market without the draft compensation attached in a very slim free agent market.

Will be interesting to see how things play out. I would really like to see Morales back though, we could use him in the lineup.

I don't get this at all. If Morales actually sits out he will barely make a fraction of the tender. No team is going to give a guy $10 million let alone a multi year contract when he hasn't played baseball for 6 months.

I think Boras played chicken, was made to look like a fool and has too big of a ego to do what is best for his client.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't like what Boras is doing but I do understand the gamble he is making even though I don't agree that it is best for his client. He is assuming more teams will be willing to sign him because he won't come with draft pick comp in June. Plus a need for him could arise on certain teams as the season plays out. But it seems like Boras believes there will be a bidding war for Morales in June which I don't believe will happen.

The Mariners should assume they will not get his comp pick either way therefore they should sign him!

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't like what Boras is doing but I do understand the gamble he is making even though I don't agree that it is best for his client. He is assuming more teams will be willing to sign him because he won't come with draft pick comp in June. Plus a need for him could arise on certain teams as the season plays out. But it seems like Boras believes there will be a bidding war for Morales in June which I don't believe will happen.

The Mariners should assume they will not get his comp pick either way therefore they should sign him!

Boras betting on a bidding war I think is exactly what he is thinking but completely unrealistic. There will not be a bidding war anywhere near $14 million for a guy who hasn't faced MLB pitching for 9 months. No team is going to pay a guy that much money that has to spend time at least a couple of weeks in rookie ball.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras betting on a bidding war I think is exactly what he is thinking but completely unrealistic. There will not be a bidding war anywhere near $14 million for a guy who hasn't faced MLB pitching for 9 months. No team is going to pay a guy that much money that has to spend time at least a couple of weeks in rookie ball.

Yeah I agree. I think the longer the season goes without him signing drops his value finacially.

The chances of a bidding war happening I think are slim especially with the money Boras expects. I really have a hard time understanding what his intentions are with Morales. If he expects a salary in the $14mil range for a full season of work, then what does he expect for a half season of work? Every month he doesn't play he is missing out on probably a couple million dollars.

Part of me wonders if he was hoping there would be some injuries in spring training that would open a spot for Morales on teams that otherwise wouldn't have been interested.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Morales or Boras realistically think a team will give him $14 mill this season. Even Boras can't be that delusional.

Their goal was most likely a 3-4 year deal, probably around $8-10 million/year. I wish them continued luck with that.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras thinks ALL of his clients are worth more than they are actually worth!

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For a guy who had to miss so much time due to a serious injury, you'd think he'd be chomping at the bit to get back out there and play, especially considering that, at only 30 years old he's still in his prime (albeit a diminished one thanks to his injury). I'm all for players trying to get as much as they can, especially when they don't know how much longer their careers are going to last, but it's gotta be eating at him that we're a few days away from Opening Day and he still doesn't have a team to play for and might not have a team to play for until he's almost 31.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Last edited by a moderator:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is word the Mariners offered Morales a 3 year $33m contract at one point.

Was that recently or you talking about the 3/$30M at the A.S. break last year?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what to make of this other than Boras overplayed his hand and the Twins, out of the teams that were still interested once the draft began, were willing to give the most money. Or maybe the Twins sealed it by telling Morales that they wouldn't stick him down in the minors for a couple of weeks to get used to live pitching again. Who knows.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get Boras is super agent, but this should be a lesson to all young players who think of signing with him. He isn't perfect and he puts his ego over his client's best interest. Morales lost time and money because his agent has too much of an ego. Had he signed his tender he would be in just as good of a position as he is with the Twins except he would've had a much better contract for him and still have the ability for another payday.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why would he want to come to this shit hole?

best of luck to the guy with the twinkies this year and wherever he ends up next year.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no doubt in my mind that him and boras were looking for a large contract in the offseason didnt get what they wanted so they sat out spring training and the beginning of the season realizing that teams were moving on he decided to jump at the first offer that came on the table after the draft which was the 12mill deal from the twins. The mariners among other teams were offering larger contracts with multiple years and they got greedy and said no. Now to save his value he took this deal in hopes of having a solid rest of the season to get a good contract in the 2015 free agency.....

in other words THATS WHAT YOU GET YOU GREEDY BASTARD

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is no doubt in my mind that him and boras were looking for a large contract in the offseason didnt get what they wanted so they sat out spring training and the beginning of the season realizing that teams were moving on he decided to jump at the first offer that came on the table after the draft which was the 12mill deal from the twins. The mariners among other teams were offering larger contracts with multiple years and they got greedy and said no. Now to save his value he took this deal in hopes of having a solid rest of the season to get a good contract in the 2015 free agency.....

in other words THATS WHAT YOU GET YOU GREEDY BASTARD

:agree: