• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mockery mock

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Trade away pick #16 (and #119) to Miami. Miami gives Dallas pick #19 & #81 & Fin's 2015 4th rounder.
2 With the 19th pick, Dallas selects Ryan Shazier, LB Ohio State.
3. With the 47th pick, Dallas selects Jimmie Ward, S Northern Illinois.
4. Trade up to pick #71 (Cleveland). Dallas gives Cleveland pick #78 & #158.
5. With the 71st pick, Dallas selects Dominique Easley, DT Florida.
6. Trade away pick #81 to Carolina. Carolina gives Dallas pick #92 & #128.
7. With the 92nd pick, Dallas selects Will Clarke, DE West Virginia.
8. With the 128th pick, Dallas selects Josh Huff, WR Oregon.
9. With the 229th pick, Dallas selects Cornelius Lucas, OT Kansas State.
10. With the 231st pick, Dallas selects Ben Gardner, DE Stanford.
11. With the 238th pick, Dallas selects John Urschel, OG Penn State.
12. With the 248th pick, Dallas selects Kerry Hyder, DT Texas Tech.
13. With the 251st pick, Dallas selects Ken Bishop, DT Northern Illinois.
14. With the 254th pick, Dallas selects Marquis Spruill, LB Syracuse.

Comentary (reasoning):

• With only Donald & Barr off the board, we still had four players we liked (Martin, Jernigan, Shazier & Pryor). Miami wanted Zack Martin and paid us to pass on him.
  • Miami took Martin & Baltimore took Jernigan, leaving us with Shazier & Prior. We felt good about our chances of getting a safety in the second round, so we took the LB.
  • Passing on Pryor worked in our favor, as we had our choice between Ward and Lamarcus Joiner. Ward was rated higher.
  • Since we lost out on Jernigan, we had to get aggressive and move up to get Easley. It cost us our 4th rounder to move up 7 spots. Easley had fallen due to his knee injuries.
  • If not for his injury history, we would have given Easley a first round grade. Has a great skillset and should be a great pick up for the future. Has proven to be a fast healer, so could be a PUP list candidate in 2014.
  • Carolina was in search of their second WR for this class. Our targets (Jackson Jeffcoat and Billy Turner) both got taken right before our pick so we were looking to move back also.
  • We felt Clarke might have been available for our original pick #119, but we are happy to take him here rather than press our luck until #128. Clarke was the last of our targeted DEs, having missed out earlier on Lawrence, Crichton, and Jeffcoat. See it as a slight reach for ensuring we get our safety net DE.
  • Huff can be a quality piece on special teams and should make the roster.

Last edited by a moderator:

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" It cost us our 4th rounder to move up 7 spots"

This should read 5th rounder (#158).

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be awesome if Ward is there at 47.
I am not real big on going LB in the 1st (wont cry though) did we not have any DE's graded for around the 19th pick? (like Ealy or whoever)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not real big on going LB in the 1st (wont cry though) did we not have any DE's graded for around the 19th pick? (like Ealy or whoever)[/QUOTE

I'd have no problem with Shazier, he's a stud and a nice fit for us. Ward is now being projected by a lot of mocks to go in the 1st, would be surprised if he made it to 47

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always had a LB in each draft I'd love to see with a star on his hat. This year is no exception.

Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State

"He's the total package as far as athletes go. He was timed at a hometown discount 4.36 at his pro day, but is easily a sub-4.5 runner, and he also had a crazy-good 42-inch vertical and 130-inch broad jump in Indy. Good thing for Shazier -- he looks fast in pads, too. If I'm drafting, Shazier's a first-round lock."

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not real big on going LB in the 1st (wont cry though) did we not have any DE's graded for around the 19th pick? (like Ealy or whoever)

Agree with you on all of the above. I don't think Ward makes it to 47. I Don't think Shazier is the best pick for us or likely to be the best player available and wouldn't take him if it were my call, but I won't be upset if the team takes him (especially if it is after a tradeback). If he is what many think he is he should upgrade both our run and pass defense and with that speed I'd imagine he could be a disruptive blitzer. I think taking him would be a concession that Carter won't ever be close to the player we envisioned and after last year I couldn't blame the team for thinking that. He was horrible. I still love teh prospect of Holloman being a key player on this team going forward. Any part we add to this defense is sure to help if the player works out.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with you on all of the above. I don't think Ward makes it to 47. I Don't think Shazier is the best pick for us or likely to be the best player available and wouldn't take him if it were my call, but I won't be upset if the team takes him (especially if it is after a tradeback). If he is what many think he is he should upgrade both our run and pass defense and with that speed I'd imagine he could be a disruptive blitzer. I think taking him would be a concession that Carter won't ever be close to the player we envisioned and after last year I couldn't blame the team for thinking that. He was horrible. I still love teh prospect of Holloman being a key player on this team going forward. Any part we add to this defense is sure to help if the player works out.

Agree Shazier wont be the BPA at 16
Agree if we trade down .... and he is our pick I wont be upset

Disagree on Carter. Last year was the first time he has really ever been asked to play pass coverage. He did some in college but not much. His biggest asset was always knowing where the ball was and chasing it ... run or passing game.

Now he has the speed and skills to do it.... IF he can learn to is the question.
Now if we take a weakside LBer in the draft to replace him .... I'm 100% sure( if healthy) he would be solid as fuck on the strong side.

Hell was just last offseason everyone had written Free off and he had a pretty solid year...... Takes time for most guys to learn a new scheme especially when they are askd to do things they have never been asked to do before.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Had Ealy and Crichton about the same grade with Lawrence a little lower. Ealy was least probable to be there for our pick at #47 and would have been in play had we traded down to the end of the first like we did last year. Would have been comfortable taking any of those three at that point. Had we taken Pryor at 19, we would have come away with Lawrence at 47.

The Shazier pick was more of a scheme fit for this team. He warranted a first round pick,and we've struggled with our LB depth and getting the right fit for the 4-3. Shazier offers flexablity to our lineup that could not be ignored.

Ward being there at 47 was a nice little suprise, but we were prepared to take Joyner. By us passing on Pryor in the first, Cleveland was able to move up to take him off the board, eliminating the threat of them taking Ward with their second rounder. The Bills took Dix in the first, leaving only the Rams as the most likely to take Ward. They passed and took WR Benjamin instead.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams go safety or QB in the 2nd round (assuming they pass on both in the first). So if they like Ward, I think you need to be in front of them to get him.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Rams go safety or QB in the 2nd round (assuming they pass on both in the first). So if they like Ward, I think you need to be in front of them to get him.

I had them taking Jake Mathews at #2 and Darqueze Dennard at #13. Safety is on their list, but a physical WR was also. In this mock, they chose to get their safety later.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had them taking Jake Mathews at #2 and Darqueze Dennard at #13. Safety is on their list, but a physical WR was also. In this mock, they chose to get their safety later.

If I'm the Rams, I would trade out of two if I could. Matthews is a good prospect, but if you traded down to even 7 or 8, Matthews or Robinson might still be there, and you could always pick up Martin or Lewan at 13 if they weren't, and pick up another pick at the top of the 2nd in the process, which in this deep draft is like another 1st rounder value wise

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm the Rams, I would trade out of two if I could. Matthews is a good prospect, but if you traded down to even 7 or 8, Matthews or Robinson might still be there, and you could always pick up Martin or Lewan at 13 if they weren't, and pick up another pick at the top of the 2nd in the process, which in this deep draft is like another 1st rounder value wise

Most likely they will. I did not take the time to try to figure out all the trades. Just the most likely scenarios. Houston took Clown, STL took Mathews, Jax took Watkins, Browns took Bortles. Those teams may get those players, they may swap picks to do so. I took what made sense for those teams without breaking up too much of the rest of the draft (example trading 2nds or 1sts). If it was a third or later, yeah, that didn't affect the order too much.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How hurt is Jake Long? If he is going to play at the start fo the year they have two good Tackles that they are paying a lot of money to. I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay put and take Watkins.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be a shock to see Jerrah not make a trade in the 1st round. I expect a trade but, lord only knows if it is up or down. I don't see him staying put. Draft day trades seem to be a marketing tool for Jerrah as it means more camera time for the war room