• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

minor league updates

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Cole finally settled down but I noticed his Walk rate is still high. I am yet to see him pitch at Indy so wasn't sure if it was real control issues or just working on certain items they want in the Majors?

Taillon looks pretty good in AA.
Does anyone think Allie will get moved up soon with the way he is hitting at WV?

Finally glad to see Tim Alderson look good again.
Looks like Liriano has dominated at AAA, 11 IP's, no walks and 17 k's. I hope he is healthy and can help the rotation.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would like to see Adalberto Santos move up to AAA, all the guy does is hit, and he's old enough he can be moved without worrying about development time in AA.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Would like to see Adalberto Santos move up to AAA, all the guy does is hit, and he's old enough he can be moved without worrying about development time in AA.

There really isn't a spot for him. He is more or less a corner OFer with no power. He is behind Lambo for promotions to Indy and currently in Indy they have Presley and Sands that need to be playing. He has played some 3B, but Harrison is playing there and Mercer is at short. He can't play second and Hague is at first. He really hasn't hit enough to force his way to Indy since there is no power in his game. I just don't see him as much more than an organizational depth guy, so qhere he plays isn't that big of a deal.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There really isn't a spot for him. He is more or less a corner OFer with no power. He is behind Lambo for promotions to Indy and currently in Indy they have Presley and Sands that need to be playing. He has played some 3B, but Harrison is playing there and Mercer is at short. He can't play second and Hague is at first. He really hasn't hit enough to force his way to Indy since there is no power in his game. I just don't see him as much more than an organizational depth guy, so qhere he plays isn't that big of a deal.

All those guys you mentioned aren't much more than org depth either at this point, I'm not saying he is gonna be a start, or even average. But he has always hit, at every level. Maybe the Pirates view him the same way, but I don't agree with it.

And there isn't any reason Presley can't plan center, and Santos slides into a corner spot.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
All those guys you mentioned aren't much more than org depth either at this point, I'm not saying he is gonna be a start, or even average. But he has always hit, at every level. Maybe the Pirates view him the same way, but I don't agree with it.

And there isn't any reason Presley can't plan center, and Santos slides into a corner spot.

To be fair, the only batters in AAA and AA that aren't org depth are possibly Mercer and Dickerson, everyone else doesn't have much of a future at the major league level. I agree with you in the fact that Santos deserves a shot, and that all he does is hit, but Harrison was the same way in the minors and look at him. Harrison even has some defensive value with all the positions he can play, but still will never be more than what he is.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the only batters in AAA and AA that aren't org depth are possibly Mercer and Dickerson, everyone else doesn't have much of a future at the major league level. I agree with you in the fact that Santos deserves a shot, and that all he does is hit, but Harrison was the same way in the minors and look at him. Harrison even has some defensive value with all the positions he can play, but still will never be more than what he is.

Yea, agreed, he could very easily be the next Harrison, it's probably likely. But I'm hoping he is the next Freddy Sanchez, with the bat at least.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Santos deserves a shot over every single one of those guys. Santos may only hit singles and take walks but he does it a lot. I don't care if he never hits a homerun if he's capable of getting on base 4 out of 10 trips to the plate,

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Santos deserves a shot over every single one of those guys. Santos may only hit singles and take walks but he does it a lot. I don't care if he never hits a homerun if he's capable of getting on base 4 out of 10 trips to the plate,

Agreed, but he is in the minor leagues, when major league pitchers have nothing to be scared of, like a batter having zero power, the batter usually does not fare as well as he did in the minors. Same goes for AAA, just ask Billy Hamilton. I am not saying that it impossible for a player like Santos, but it is extremely difficult.

Please don't take any of this the wrong way, I absolutely love what Santos can do, but I am also realistic about his chances. However, he is not and should not be ahead of Lambo or Dickerson or Curry for that matter, basically because they bring more value with their bats. That is not to say he won't be promoted first of the bunch, but he will also reveive the least amount of chances.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I get what you're trying to say by making that comparison but i don't feel that it's fair for a few reasons.

1. Santos is not hamilton. It's not fair to any prospect to suggest that one man's struggles indicate a similar fate for the other guy.
2. Santos' lack of power is not as pronounced as hamilton's, santos has had a 30+ doubles pace every year. Hamilton has been more like a 20 doubles kind of guy. Considering the difference in speed it's shocking that hamilton doesn't hit more doubles and triples, santos - a much slower runner - hits doubles at a rate that exceeds that of hamilton.

I don't watch minor league ball much - i'm almost purely a boxscore kind of guy - but i interpret these results as a sign that hamilton's batting average which was lower in the first place is a result of his speed stressing defenses that aren't ready to deal with it. He has one tool that is so advanced that it enables everything else he does. Santos doesnt have that crutch but he still has a higher batting average than hamilton. He also doesnt have the crutch of a power inflated babip. That's a completely different issue. That's the benefit a power hitter receives when all of his long fly balls land over the fence.
I can't see any way to account for santos numbers than that he must be controlling the strikezone and ripping line drives all over the place. I doubt he would struggle as much as hamilton has struggled.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at minor league guys is simply that they all have a shot to do something until they stop doing anything.

If someone's hitting, and there's no one hitting better than him at the next level to block him, I see no harm in calling him up.

If Santos becomes something positive for the Pirates, I would be very happy. If he doesn't, oh well. But there's no need to bury him if he's showing some production.

And having made that point, I give you Minor League Guy!

Minor-League-Guy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you're trying to say by making that comparison but i don't feel that it's fair for a few reasons.

1. Santos is not hamilton. It's not fair to any prospect to suggest that one man's struggles indicate a similar fate for the other guy.
2. Santos' lack of power is not as pronounced as hamilton's, santos has had a 30+ doubles pace every year. Hamilton has been more like a 20 doubles kind of guy. Considering the difference in speed it's shocking that hamilton doesn't hit more doubles and triples, santos - a much slower runner - hits doubles at a rate that exceeds that of hamilton.

I don't watch minor league ball much - i'm almost purely a boxscore kind of guy - but i interpret these results as a sign that hamilton's batting average which was lower in the first place is a result of his speed stressing defenses that aren't ready to deal with it. He has one tool that is so advanced that it enables everything else he does. Santos doesnt have that crutch but he still has a higher batting average than hamilton. He also doesnt have the crutch of a power inflated babip. That's a completely different issue. That's the benefit a power hitter receives when all of his long fly balls land over the fence.
I can't see any way to account for santos numbers than that he must be controlling the strikezone and ripping line drives all over the place. I doubt he would struggle as much as hamilton has struggled.

Also, Hamilton strikes out a lot for a guy with no power.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Polanco is really stepping up. That league is known as a pitcher friendly league and if you notice his peripherals are improving for the most part. His k rate is only 13%. I think he has to get a chance in altoona at some point if he keeps this up. In fact the pirates really need to start cutting bait on some of the lesser prospects. Lambo and curry and hague and sands. All of these guys need to force their way to the majors or else they're just taking up space. Then there are others too like presley and tabata who either earn a starting spot or get out of the way.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Polanco is really stepping up. That league is known as a pitcher friendly league and if you notice his peripherals are improving for the most part. His k rate is only 13%. I think he has to get a chance in altoona at some point if he keeps this up. In fact the pirates really need to start cutting bait on some of the lesser prospects. Lambo and curry and hague and sands. All of these guys need to force their way to the majors or else they're just taking up space. Then there are others too like presley and tabata who either earn a starting spot or get out of the way.

I'd rather they cut bait with Hague at this point if he is going to be blocking guys.

I don't agree about Tabata and Presley, the Pirates bench is terribly weak, as 4th OF's they can be valuable.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Now is about the time when Gerrit Cole should reallyvstart to turn it around. It has been that way at every level, 5-6 meh starts before he adjusts and starts to dominate.

This is also about the time Jamseon Taillon starts to struggle for 5-6 starts before he adjusts back to form.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Right on cue.....Cole 7IP 4 hits 1 run 2 BB 5K.

Castro also had another strong start as well.