• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At no point in the 2nd half was UCLA within striking distance.

Congrats on your garbage time points when you were getting blown out
UCLA was within 2 scores late in the 3rd. So, wrong again mjf...

Too bad the Ducks couldn't even manage to muster a garbage time field goal in the 2nd half of their loss vs a ranked team away from home.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Fleck will never be more than all talk cliches. What a bust of a season

He is an all time great.....cheerleader.

But he is not a good football coach.

The upside is that a bad football coach but a good cheerleader does get some halfway decent recruits.

But watching him try and coach a football game is often times painful. My favorite Fleck moment of this season was him pissing away not 1 but 2 timeouts in the 1st quarter of a game against Illinois in an attempt (failed at that) to make a team kick a FG on one side of the field on a day that really wasn't all that windy.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCLA was within 2 scores late in the 3rd. So, wrong again mjf...

Too bad the Ducks couldn't even manage to muster a garbage time field goal in the 2nd half of their loss vs a ranked team away from home.

2 scores is not striking distance.

I get that you view a 2 score deficit vs Oregon as a big accomplishment.

It's not.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, I was NEVER the one to focus only on Titles, that was Wamu. So your adding your 2 cents on the issue, only helps bolster my argument with Wamu. But you also can't discount that factor, either.

Also, I think you could tell that I was making that point, that titles are not the only thing to look at, and I DID acknowledge that other factors put Michigan ahead of Minnesota in general, and specifically in regards to football as well. I am sure you are right about Michigan having a significant edge in basketball, but "enormous"? I'll look into it, maybe you are right?

You are so clueless it's pathetic.

When I said national titles I was talking about the Minnesota Gophers. When's the last time they won a national title? You think they're elite. They aren't.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When I said national titles I was talking about the Minnesota Gophers. When's the last time they won a national title? You think they're elite. They aren't.

Forget national titles...when was the last time they won a Rose Bowl?

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Entire Pac conf is overrated.

USC got rated on nothing concrete, pure speculation.

Name me one single ranked team, hell, even a team getting votes, that a Pac team beat.

Go on, I'll wait.

BYU got overrated by beating #9 ranked, at the time, Baylor.
Baylor lost to WVU and is only 5-3 right now. Baylor sucks!!!

BYU then got beat by Oregon, making Oregon look better than they are.
BYU has lost to Notre Dame, who lost to frigging Stanford, and
BYU lost to Liberty and
BYU lost to ECU.
BYU is 4-5,
they suck!!!

WSU beat over rated Wisconsin, ranked #19 at the time,
UW is now 4-4.
UW got beat by MSU.
they suck!!!

Washington beat overrated MSU, ranked #11 at the time,
MSU is now 3-5,
they suck!!!

Utah lost to overrated Florida, though UF mostly got overrated because of beating Utah, they've since lost 4 of their last 7 games

USC hasn't beaten anyone of note really, Oregon St 17-14? That's the best win?

UCLA got overrated by beating overrated Washington and overrated Utah. //

Oreg St hasn't beaten anyone of note, really, as we all know now that WSU is not a team of note.

Ariz lost to Miss St and Cali

Cali lost to Notre Dame, WSU & COLORADO!!!

Stanford beat ASU by 1 and Colgate and NO ONE ELSE, cept Notre Dame.
Notre Dame SUCKS!!!

ASU lost to EMU & Stanford. They suck!!!

Outside of UCLA, who got overrated beating overrated Washington and overrated Utah, who has Oregon beaten that's any good?

Like I said, the ENTIRE PAC is overrated.
I think you (Especially you, if you wanted to) can do this with any P5 Conference, and it's why the College Football Rankings don't come out until early November.

And when you say UCLA was overrated when they beat overrated Washington, actually it was then they first were rated at all.

Anyway, winning on the road is no easy feat vs a talented team, and for Utah in the Swamp it was no exception. It was a game they should have won, but throwing a pick in the endzone, and losing by 3 is a hard loss to take.

And for Florida, sure 4 losses out of the last 7 weeks sounds terrible, but 3 of those losses were at No. 1 Tenn, at No. 3 Georgia & vs No 10 LSU. Not too many teams are going to fair well facing that gauntlet. So, a 2 road loss Utah at No. 14 sounds about right to me, and the College Football Committee agrees.

As far as Washington goes, we often see teams struggle in their next game after taking a big game loss, and the Dubbs did just that. We will find out a lot more about Washington, and the PAC North for that matter, come Friday when they host the Beavers.

I mean to my point, wasn't it your Gophers who were overrated at No. 21 after beating No. 14 Michigan State? Thank goodness for Rutgers, they came at the right time, but poor ole Sparty, now they are likely, 'thee' most overrated team of the year when y'all played 'em.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The upside is that a bad football coach but a good cheerleader does get some halfway decent recruits.

But watching him try and coach a football game is often times painful. My favorite Fleck moment of this season was him pissing away not 1 but 2 timeouts in the 1st quarter of a game against Illinois in an attempt (failed at that) to make a team kick a FG on one side of the field on a day that really wasn't all that windy.
He can work out as long as he has great coordinators and as long as he trusts them. He can stick to the cheerleading and helping to bring in the right kind of players for his style of program, but he's going to have to step it up a notch at least recruiting wise to keep up with the likes of Illinois and Wisconsin and Iowa, not to mention the even tougher task of catching up to the OSUs, PSUs & Michigans, and probably USC as well.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a damn good question. Had to look it up. But it was Jan. 1, 1962. They have played in two Rose Bowls, 1-1 record.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100%.

Its also why its hard to know how long you roll with a guy like Fleck. Can the gophers do better?? I really dont know when you consider both on and off field results.

Cause his brand attracts better talent then weve seen in many many years. But he is legit a complete moron with the headset on.

They have to somehow find a guy who can work behind the curtains. While fleck remains the face of the organization.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you'd love to forget national titles, your team hasn't EVER won any, EVER, in all of cfb history!!!!!!!!!

NOT ONE. ZERO, zilch, nada, nothing.

UMn's been declared Natl Champs NINE TIMES, seven of which they claim, and SIX of which are "recognized" Natl Titles.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WERE... What part of that word and it representing PAST tense do you not understand??? Holy sh1t dude, you are think in the skull.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean to my point, wasn't it your Gophers who were overrated at No. 21 after beating No. 14 Michigan State? Thank goodness for Rutgers, they came at the right time, but poor ole Sparty, now they are likely, 'thee' most overrated team of the year when y'all played 'em.

Michigan St was only receiving votes(91-26th) when we played them, as were the Gophers(48-33rd).

Minnesota got bumped up to #21 on the strength of HOW we beat MSU. The score was 34-0 late in the 4th quarter, MSU only scored a td with under 2 minutes left I believe, in total garbage time, UMn had it's 2nd and 3rd stringers in the game at that time.

Washington on the other hand moved up from not getting ANY votes at all, all the way up to #18.
Washington made the much larger jump, and MSU was ranked #11 at the time Washington played them, vs #26 when UMn played them.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you'd love to forget national titles, your team hasn't EVER won any, EVER, in all of cfb history!!!!!!!!!

NOT ONE. ZERO, zilch, nada, nothing.

UMn's been declared Natl Champs NINE TIMES, seven of which they claim, and SIX of which are "recognized" Natl Titles.

No one cares about your leather helmet "glory"

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when you say UCLA was overrated when they beat overrated Washington, actually it was then they first were rated at all.

If you go back and reread my post, you will see that I stated it was beating overrated Washington that got them ranked, not that they were overrated going into that game, and then beating the overrated Utah team helped move them up more. Hey, beating overrated teams is better than losing to them. It doesn't mean the team isn't good or might not actually be as good as their ranking, just that what they've done, who they've beaten up to that point hasn't earned them the ranking. That changes every week as weaknesses get exposed(Purdue & Illinois did that to Minnesota) and good teams finally play and beat someone good(OSU for example).
Anyway, winning on the road is no easy feat vs a talented team, and for Utah in the Swamp it was no exception. It was a game they should have won, but throwing a pick in the endzone, and losing by 3 is a hard loss to take.

Losing is never fun, and the better team sometimes loses. I could be wrong about the entire Pac conference being overrated, but I just haven't seen any evidence to prove otherwise yet. Best ooc wins being a Notre Dame team with a couple embarrassing losses, to a Marshall team barely over .500 and a crappy Stanford team, and several teams with losing records, BYU, Wisc & MSU doesn't tell me much. Combine that with the loss to a 4-4 Florida team and it's just a resume that looked far more impressive at the time of the wins and the loss, but now looks very unimpressive for an entire conference.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one cares about your leather helmet "glory"

No one cares about your child slave labor bought conf titles, either.

ALL 6 of UMn's recognized Natl Titles are more recent than all but 3 of Michigan's 11 titles.

Michigan's only won ONE Natl Title since 1950.

Notre Dame's only won TWO Natl Titles in the last 50 years of cfb history and ZERO in the last 35 years if you count this season.

Oh yeah, but you don't care about Natl Titles, only Conf Titles, because that's all Oregon is able to win it seems.

Thing is, a Natl Title is always worthy of praise, it means a team either was deemed as THE BEST IN THE ENTIRE NATION, or it means that they beat enough of the best teams in the entire nation at the right time of the year to win the Natl Championship Tournament.

With Conf titles, not all conf titles are equal, some are far more noteworthy than others. Hell, I remember the Gophers playing the PAC 12 Champs in the NIT BB tournament. They didn't even qualify for the NCAA tourney, LMMFGDAO!!!

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fleck has to be fired on the spot if they lose to Nebraska

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31 total yards in the first half to 3-5 Nebraska...

Does Minny even get bowl eligible at this point?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
31 total yards in the first half to 3-5 Nebraska...

Does Minny even get bowl eligible at this point?
Well, NW is giving it to #2 OSU, they are next on the schedule, Iowa is pummeling Purdue who already beat the Gophers, and Wisconsin is rolling over Maryland, so it's altogether possible that Minnesota could miss out.

But UMn's Academics are ranked so high that they'd have a good shot of being the first 5-7 team invited to a bowl game.