• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason I bring it up is to show how crazy it is. University of Minnesota is 40 years older than Eastern Ill and has had on average over 10 times (pre 1960 about 15 times) as many students. It is just an exercise in ego enhancement. "Me thinks thou doth protest too much". Today Minnesota is about 2.5 times as large as Miami of Ohio and probably was much bigger in the past.
You honestly think a school's size of enrollment has something to do with how good they are at sports or how many good high quality coaches they produce? Wow, you are pretty clueless, too.

Even if I granted you that point and we did it per capita, UMn would still pummel EIU, as well, giving EIU credit for being around for fewer years still wouldn't help them. EIU simply never had a Henry Williams or a Bernie Bierman, and it's located in a crappy state, lol.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand it as well, but when you have to bring up the invention of Spam to try and prove your teams worth, you're a fucking idiot
Not just SPAM, but K-Rations, too!!! And scotch tape and post it notes, can't forget them. Magnetic poetry and of course, the best of all...

CHEERLEADING!!!

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not just SPAM, but K-Rations, too!!! And scotch tape and post it notes, can't forget them. Magnetic poetry and of course, the best of all...

CHEERLEADING!!!
Is this the 12th or 13th time you have brought this up?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing you spend all that time typing all those words and make all those reaches for such an irrelevant program.

And he has to know that absolutely no one reads all that crap. Maybe it’s medicinal.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to back losses against mediocre conference opponents for the trash program Minnesota.
Illinois is ranked right along with Oregon in the Ranking Composite. So you are acknowledging that Oregon is also a trash program? And the Boilermakers are not far behind. Just 4 spots behind Illinois.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illinois is ranked right along with Oregon in the Ranking Composite. So you are acknowledging that Oregon is also a trash program? And the Boilermakers are not far behind. Just 4 spots behind Illinois.

I didn't call Illinois trash.

Minnesota is the trash program.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting on Minnesota to become a relevant football program in my lifetime. Or a dominant any sport program as I have been told they are.

TheLonestarDUCK

Sleep is only for the tired
Hoopla Cash
$ 36,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Oct 1st - 14th Fred posted 124 times. Since Saturday the 15th Fred has only posted 8 times —- wonder what happened?

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Oct 1st - 14th Fred posted 124 times. Since Saturday the 15th Fred has only posted 8 times —- wonder what happened?
The Corn Harvest happened genius. Very little to zero internet access from 8 am til 8 pm everyday. Oh and the Gopher's had a bye week, too.

Since Saturday the 15th, the Gophers have moved up to #1 in Men's Hockey with 2 of it's freshmen being named B1G Player of the Week in back to back weeks, and the Men's BB team got a commitment from a 5 star Top 30 national 7'1" recruit.

And I found my notes regarding how the world was saved from the Nazis and Japanese in WW2 more so because of the state of and the university of Minnesota than in comparison to any other school and state. And I found my notes comparing UMn's Cradle of Coaching to Miami of Ohio's, and many other notes as well and have been looking through them and organizing them.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I found my notes regarding how the world was saved from the Nazis and Japanese in WW2 more so because of the state of and the university of Minnesota than in comparison to any other school and state.
Please elaborate.

This should be fun.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting on Minnesota to become a relevant football program in my lifetime. Or a dominant any sport program as I have been told they are.
Ranked #1 in the nation in Men's Hockey at this point in the season. Can argue UMn's Men's Hockey is the GOAT college hockey program in the US.

Ranked #2 in the nation in Women's Hockey at this point in the season. Hands down UMn's Women's Hockey is the GOAT in women's Hockey.

Currently the #1 GOAT in Dance. 17 National Titles in just the last 2 decades.

Just won the 2022 American Solar Challenge Rayce.

Top Ten ranked Women's VB team comes in 6th best in the nation in the 21st Century.

UMn Wrestling program was the #1 wrestling program in the nation from 1999-2007 and ranks 6th best wrestling program AT.

UMn can easily be referred to as Heavyweight U. SEVEN Heavyweight Natl Titles in the 21st Century. No other school even comes close.

UMn Wrestling/state of Minnesota is arguably the #1 producer of pro wrestling talent. Although I've never known anyone to make a case for any other state or school, so they might not be #1. But with the likes of Verne Gagne, Ric Flair, Brock Lesnar and now Gable Steveson all having gone to the University of Minnesota, an argument can be made.
UMn Hockey is the #1 GOAT producer of both Olympic and NHL hockey in the country and it's not even close.

UMn Basketball is a TOP TEN producer AT of NBA talent in the country. UMn's produced SIX that are now in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

UMn Baseball STILL can be argued to rank Top Five in the nation, as only 4 programs have won more Natl Titles than Minnesota has, as far as I can tell. It's possible they've moved down a spot or two recently, but I thought I checked and they were still #5.

UMn Baseball ranks high in the nation at producing MLB talent, Top 10 possibly? Top 20 for sure. UMn once got 3 players onto the same AL All-Star team.

UMn football has risen back up either in or just outside of the Top 25 AT at producing NFL talent.

UMn football is Top Ten in producing Pro Football Hall of Famers.

UMn football is #1 AT in producing NFL annual high scorers.

UMn football is #1 AT in producing NFL All-Decade Team members.

UMn football is #1 AT in producing NFL Head Coaches.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please elaborate.

This should be fun.
Well, I have to start work soon, so I'll just start you off with a few nuggest.

#1 - SPAM. Our troops ate better than the enemies.
#2 - K-Rations. Developed by a Univ of Minnesota professor Ancel Keys.
#3 - Nurses. UMn had more of it's female students join the war effort as nurses than any other university in the nation.
#4 - Soldiers. UMn had the most WW2 vets use the GI Bill to go to school in 1946 than any other school in the nation.
#5 - Hawley's Helmets. Jesse Hawley, a former Gopher football player who won a Natl Title coaching Dartmouth in the middle of the 20s, started a company after college that ended up producing over 250,000 helmets for US/Allied soldiers during WW2.
#6 - Owen Wangensteen. He developed a surgical technique that saved the lives of thousands of soldiers who otherwise would have died from abdominal wounds from gunshots or bomb detonations.

That is part 1. Part 2 will come tonight after 9 pm.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I have to start work soon, so I'll just start you off with a few nuggest.

#1 - SPAM. Our troops ate better than the enemies.
#2 - K-Rations. Developed by a Univ of Minnesota professor Ancel Keys.
#3 - Nurses. UMn had more of it's female students join the war effort as nurses than any other university in the nation.
#4 - Soldiers. UMn had the most WW2 vets use the GI Bill to go to school in 1946 than any other school in the nation.
#5 - Hawley's Helmets. Jesse Hawley, a former Gopher football player who won a Natl Title coaching Dartmouth in the middle of the 20s, started a company after college that ended up producing over 250,000 helmets for US/Allied soldiers during WW2.
#6 - Owen Wangensteen. He developed a surgical technique that saved the lives of thousands of soldiers who otherwise would have died from abdominal wounds from gunshots or bomb detonations.

That is part 1. Part 2 will come tonight after 9 pm.
I can hardly wait.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranked #1 in the nation in Men's Hockey at this point in the season. Can argue UMn's Men's Hockey is the GOAT college hockey program in the US.

Ranked #2 in the nation in Women's Hockey at this point in the season. Hands down UMn's Women's Hockey is the GOAT in women's Hockey.

Currently the #1 GOAT in Dance. 17 National Titles in just the last 2 decades.

Just won the 2022 American Solar Challenge Rayce.

Top Ten ranked Women's VB team comes in 6th best in the nation in the 21st Century.

UMn Wrestling program was the #1 wrestling program in the nation from 1999-2007 and ranks 6th best wrestling program AT.

UMn can easily be referred to as Heavyweight U. SEVEN Heavyweight Natl Titles in the 21st Century. No other school even comes close.

UMn Wrestling/state of Minnesota is arguably the #1 producer of pro wrestling talent. Although I've never known anyone to make a case for any other state or school, so they might not be #1. But with the likes of Verne Gagne, Ric Flair, Brock Lesnar and now Gable Steveson all having gone to the University of Minnesota, an argument can be made.
UMn Hockey is the #1 GOAT producer of both Olympic and NHL hockey in the country and it's not even close.

UMn Basketball is a TOP TEN producer AT of NBA talent in the country. UMn's produced SIX that are now in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.

UMn Baseball STILL can be argued to rank Top Five in the nation, as only 4 programs have won more Natl Titles than Minnesota has, as far as I can tell. It's possible they've moved down a spot or two recently, but I thought I checked and they were still #5.

UMn Baseball ranks high in the nation at producing MLB talent, Top 10 possibly? Top 20 for sure. UMn once got 3 players onto the same AL All-Star team.

UMn football has risen back up either in or just outside of the Top 25 AT at producing NFL talent.

UMn football is Top Ten in producing Pro Football Hall of Famers.

UMn football is #1 AT in producing NFL annual high scorers.

UMn football is #1 AT in producing NFL All-Decade Team members.

UMn football is #1 AT in producing NFL Head

Was he on MASH?

Half of that has nothing to do with football, and the stuff that does doesn't change the fact they haven't won anything on the field since the 60s. Your rotator cuff must hate you for all the strain you put on it with the reaching you do

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting on Minnesota to become a relevant football program in my lifetime. -->Or a dominant any sport program as I have been told they are.<--

A quick breakdown of Minnesota sports.

football- they won 11 games in 2019. Only the second time in team history they won double digits games. The other season was 1900. Their last national title was 1960. Before that they won titles in the early 40's and mid/late 30's.

basketball- a total of 14 March Madness trips. 17 seasons with at least 20 wins. No national titles. One Final Four trip

hockey- last title was 2003. The last 43 years they have three national titles- 1979, '02 & '03

baseball- alotta conference titles, won national titles in 1964, '60 & '56

Football info from ncaa-.com (been told they have biased agenda so a certain someone might say they're invalid) and looking up the Gophers year by year record

Basketball info from sports-ref-.com (Minnesota Golden Gophers index)

Hockey info from ncaa-.com/history/icehockey-men/d1

Baseball info from ncaa-.com/history/baseball/d1