• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Minnesota rules the world of football

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as long as we are taking credit for after the fact accomplishments, lets include Eastern Illinois with: Mike Shanahan, Sean Payten, Brad Childress and now Dino Babers at Syracuse. There are at least 4 NFL current assistant coaches and a recently fired GM of the Bears.

See how crazy this can get.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well as long as we are taking credit for after the fact accomplishments, lets include Eastern Illinois with: Mike Shanahan, Sean Payten, Brad Childress and now Dino Babers at Syracuse. There are at least 4 NFL current assistant coaches and a recently fired GM of the Bears.

Dude, you come up with a tiny list, good for you and good for E Illinois, but usually people don't bring up such things unless their list is actually impressive. Almost every school has a list, especially since people don't have to be great athletes to become great coaches. And a school producing ONE great coach is rather meaningless, hence why no one gives a shit that Saban went to Kent St. He was either born a great coach or he learned his coaching skills from other sources than Kent St, most likely.

Miami of Ohio made a big deal about their list because, for one, it was truly impressive, if not always in the quality of the coaches Miami of Ohio produced or who got their start there, then for the length of their list. They didn't just produce ONE great coach, they produced DOZENS of coaches, many who were legendary. It was a pattern that showed that something else was going on other than dumb luck. And what ALL of the coaching trees people bring up out there intend to do, is show the "something else" that goes on, mainly that great coaches often times produce great coaches. Those great coaches players and assistants learn from them and then they move on in life and go off to their own coaching opportunities and take what they learned from that great coach into their own programs. Can you show a pattern at Kent St, or even at Eastern Illinois?

Most people either acknowledge Miami of Ohio as being "The Cradle of Coaches" and don't worry about whether their school can produce an equally long list of coaches or not, either because they know they can't or because they are more focused on what their program does on the field. So schools who have been good for a very long time, like Notre Dame or Michigan or Alabama probably can produce impressive lists, but don't focus on that. Minnesota is a school that has been declared Natl Champs almost 10 times, 7 of which they as a school claim, so like Notre Dame and Michigan and Alabama, Minnesota as a school never focused on their list of coaches and never made an effort to show that their list was longer and of better quality than Miami of Ohio's. I only checked into it and discovered that Minnesota's list WAS in fact longer and of better quality than Miami of Ohio's, when a Miami of Ohio fan felt the need to shove that school's list down my throat. Granted he was partially emboldened by Miami of Ohio's one good season as well, but I saw a challenge and I rose up to it and proved to anyone with a functioning brain that Minnesota's list was more impressive than Miami of Ohio's list.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No school in the country, that I know of, has produced as many Pro/NFL coaches as Minnesota has, their list is double digits in length. And few cfb programs have produced as many Hall of Fame coaches as Minnesota has.

Bud Grant,
Tony Dungy,
Bud Wilkinson,
Bernie Bierman,
Clark Shaughnessy,
Gil Dobie,
Biggie Munn,
Jim Malosky, winningest coach in Div 2 cfb history at the time of his retirement, most likely will end up in the cfb hall of fame, and
Ossie Solem, are all successful coaches now in at least one Hall of Fame. Grant is in both the NFL and CFL Halls of Fame, and Shaughnessy is a cfb hall of famer but was also nominated 3 separate times for the Pro Fb Hall of Fame as well despite only coaching in the pros for 2 or 3 seasons, because of the impact his innovations had on the game of football.

Verne Gagne and John Mariucci are also hall of famers in other sports who played football for the Gophers.

And the pattern is clear. UMn's first full time head coach, Henry L Williams, a college football Hall of Fame coach himself, and a coach who the Natl Title Trophy was named after until Notre Dame won it 3 times and retired it, was a great coach. The University of Minnesota football program had the best winning percentage in the nation when only looking at schools still competing in fbs fb while he was the coach at Minnesota and 4 of his teams were declared natl Champs by someone. And it was him who produced probably the longest list of winning coaches, if not one of his players, Bernie Bierman. Williams was an innovator who changed the way college football was played and some of his players went on to become innovators of the game as well.

Gil Dobie, Ossie Solem, Bernie Bierman and Clark Shaughnessy all played for Henry L Williams, among many others who also found success in coaching but did not make it into the cfb or pro fb Halls of Fame.

And Bud Grant & Bud Wilkinson both played for Bernie Bierman, as well as many others who also found success in coaching, but not enough to make it into the cfb or pro fb Halls of Fame.

Tony Dungy's college coach ALSO played for Bernie Bierman, as did Marc Trestman.

The winningest coach at the Division 2 level, at the time he retired, Jim Malosky, also played for Bernie Bierman.

See, there is a pattern. And not only did those future coaches play for other coaches on the list, but some of them also coached under other coaches on the list. Records weren't great way back then, but it's believed Gil Dobie was an asst coach under Henry L Williams and Bernie Bierman was an assistant coach under Clark Shaughnessy, and Biggie Munn was an assistant coach under Bernie Bierman and Bud Wilkinson I believe? And I've only given you the highlights.

Another aspect that Miami of Ohio pays attention to, is who they hired as head coaches and who got their start coaching at Miami of Ohio as either head coaches or assistant coaches.

UMn has a long and impressive list of such coaches as well. Fritz Crisler is one of them. His first head coaching job was at Minnesota. He's in the cfb Hall of Fame and Michigan's Stadium is named after him. Minnesota was one of Lou Holtz' jobs in his long hall of fame career. The already mentioned Shanahan was an assistant coach at Minnesota as was Mike Martz, and again, I am just giving you the highlights off the top of my head. Crisler had some former Gophers as his assistants.

Programs like Oklahoma, Washington, Michigan St and Tulane were put on the map by former Gophers, and in fact, Tulane's entire winning history can be attributed to former Gophers, first Clark Shaughnessy, then Bernie Bierman took over for Shaughnessy when he moved on to coach the first Heisman winner ever, and former Gopher Ted Cox took over for Bierman and a former player of Bierman's at Tulane Red Dawson, who also coached under Bierman at Minnesota, went on to take over for Cox, and when he left the job, that is when Tulane disappeared from the upper echelon of cfb programs.

So from 1900-1922 I think, Henry L Williams was arguably the best coach in the nation, and from shortly after he started until quite recently, but more specifically 1923-1957, the "Sons of Minnesota" went out into the world and dominated the cfb scene, being declared the Natl Champs so many times a person would need both feet to count them all.

Dobie at Cornell in the 20s,
Hawley at Dartmouth in the 20s,
Bierman at Tulane in the 20s and early 30s,
Bierman at Minnesota in the 30s and early 40s,

Shaughnessy at Stanford in 1940, he and Bierman BOTH got their teams named Natl Champs, probably a first and only time in history two alums of the same school got their teams named Natl Champs in the same year.

Wilkinson at Oklahoma in the late 40s and through the 50s,
Munn at Michigan State in the late 40s and early 50s,

And those are just the former Gophers who won Natl Titles as coaches. I could list the seasons former Gophers had unbeaten seasons and it would be OVER THIRTY SEASONS!!!

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In before Freddy sayz the reason Minny lost was their QB got knocked outta the game. It was with about 10 minutes left and Illinois was up by nine at the time.

Illinois just gotta int. with three minutes remaining. Game over.
No, it seems the Illini are the better team. Even if Morgan had not gotten hurt and helped them come back and win the game, I'd still consider Illinois the better team. The better team doesn't always win, but they did yesterday.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you come up with a tiny list, good for you and good for E Illinois, but usually people don't bring up such things unless their list is actually impressive. Almost every school has a list, especially since people don't have to be great athletes to become great coaches. And a school producing ONE great coach is rather meaningless, hence why no one gives a shit that Saban went to Kent St. He was either born a great coach or he learned his coaching skills from other sources than Kent St, most likely.

Miami of Ohio made a big deal about their list because, for one, it was truly impressive, if not always in the quality of the coaches Miami of Ohio produced or who got their start there, then for the length of their list. They didn't just produce ONE great coach, they produced DOZENS of coaches, many who were legendary. It was a pattern that showed that something else was going on other than dumb luck. And what ALL of the coaching trees people bring up out there intend to do, is show the "something else" that goes on, mainly that great coaches often times produce great coaches. Those great coaches players and assistants learn from them and then they move on in life and go off to their own coaching opportunities and take what they learned from that great coach into their own programs. Can you show a pattern at Kent St, or even at Eastern Illinois?

Most people either acknowledge Miami of Ohio as being "The Cradle of Coaches" and don't worry about whether their school can produce an equally long list of coaches or not, either because they know they can't or because they are more focused on what their program does on the field. So schools who have been good for a very long time, like Notre Dame or Michigan or Alabama probably can produce impressive lists, but don't focus on that. Minnesota is a school that has been declared Natl Champs almost 10 times, 7 of which they as a school claim, so like Notre Dame and Michigan and Alabama, Minnesota as a school never focused on their list of coaches and never made an effort to show that their list was longer and of better quality than Miami of Ohio's. I only checked into it and discovered that Minnesota's list WAS in fact longer and of better quality than Miami of Ohio's, when a Miami of Ohio fan felt the need to shove that school's list down my throat. Granted he was partially emboldened by Miami of Ohio's one good season as well, but I saw a challenge and I rose up to it and proved to anyone with a functioning brain that Minnesota's list was more impressive than Miami of Ohio's list.
The reason I bring it up is to show how crazy it is. University of Minnesota is 40 years older than Eastern Ill and has had on average over 10 times (pre 1960 about 15 times) as many students. It is just an exercise in ego enhancement. "Me thinks thou doth protest too much". Today Minnesota is about 2.5 times as large as Miami of Ohio and probably was much bigger in the past.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it seems the Illini are the better team. Even if Morgan had not gotten hurt and helped them come back and win the game, I'd still consider Illinois the better team. The better team doesn't always win, but they did yesterday.

It seems? Even when you seem somewhat normal you find a way to still be a super-homer.

There was no "it seems" about it at all. Illinois dominated. Outgaining your team 472 to 180. Minnesota only had 38 yards passing. The Illini had 200+ yards passing and rushing. Also 44 of the Gophers 142 yards rushing was on one play.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems? Even when you seem somewhat normal you find a way to still be a super-homer.

There was no "it seems" about it at all. Illinois dominated. Outgaining your team 472 to 180. Minnesota only had 38 yards passing. The Illini had 200+ yards passing and rushing. Also 44 of the Gophers 142 yards rushing was on one play.

It's pretty clear from the last 2 weeks that the Goofers remain a garbage program.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iowa has one of the worst offenses in the country, and was still able to put up 220 yards of offense against Ill last week.

Gophers are a fraud

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa has one of the worst offenses in the country, and was still able to put up 220 yards of offense against Ill last week.

Gophers are a fraud

I understand backing the teams you root for. But he takes it to a level never seen on this site before.

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand backing the teams you root for. But he takes it to a level never seen on this site before.
I understand it as well, but when you have to bring up the invention of Spam to try and prove your teams worth, you're a fucking idiot

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listing a bunch of coaches who were successful at other schools who happened to coach at your school once and using that to claim your school is great makes as much sense as using sandpaper to wipe your a$$

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listing a bunch of coaches who were successful at other schools who happened to coach at your school once and using that to claim your school is great makes as much sense as using sandpaper to wipe your a$$
Minnesota is responsible for the successes at Alabama.
Alabama has an "m," Minnesota starts with "M."
Saban has an S, A & N, Minnesota has an S, A & N.
It's right there for all the world to see!

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2006 Kirby Smart was an assistant coach for the Miami Dolphins when they played the Minnesota Vikings. I think you can connect the rest of those dots as to why Georgia won the natty last year

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since the Gophers can apparently take credit for Bud Wilkinson's titles at OU (yeah that makes no sense, but that's freddy) because he played at Minnesota does that mean Kent St. gets credit for Saban's titles because he played football there?

HawkFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the Gophers can apparently take credit for Bud Wilkinson's titles at OU (yeah that makes no sense, but that's freddy) because he played at Minnesota does that mean Kent St. gets credit for Saban's titles because he played football there?
Wesleyan is CFB royalty for producing Bill Belichick