• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Miami Situation

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been a lot of talk in the media about the problems with Jonathan Martin, the Miami Dolphins and Richie Incognito. It's been rather interesting to see people's reaction to this situation, as there are a lot of current and former players who are sympathetic to Martin, but there are quite a few (especially from the Dolphins themselves) who are angry at Martin for the situation.

So what are everyone's thoughts about this situation in particular and what if this situation was actually happening to the Seahawks would your thoughts be the same?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've shared my thoughts on this situation on the main forum and I still stand by what I said there. However, with new information now coming out, I think the Dolphins leadership from their "player council" to the coaching staff to the front office is to blame for this. They asked Incognito to toughen Martin up and it looked like he took it a bit too far.

I think over time, we're gonna see less blame on Incognito and more blame on the Dolphins coaching staff. Needless to say, Philbin is done.

As far as what happened if it's the Seahawks? I think as fans, we were fortunate enough to watch a show like "The Real Rob Report." It showed the dynamic of what that locker room is like. It's tough.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts are Richie is a scumbag thug who should have charges brought up against him and I don't know enough about what other avenues Martin attempted to go down to deal with what has been an ongoing issue for some time. I don't know if going to the HC/front office first happened and what came of it. I still can't blame a guy for doing something about a supposed teammate who was that far out of line.

People think Martin should have just decked him, but he is lucky he didn't get a bullet in him for making threats to someone's family. You just don't do that.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't understand what goes through someone's mind when they defend actions like these (Pouncey) and I also don't understand the "it's an NFL lockerroom and no one outside that lockerroom can understand what's happening" attitude that some are taking with this. I have faced similar things in my own life (albeit not in a professional sport, but in the private sector). I actually empathize with Martin a great deal in this situation.

I had co-workers who made threats against my family and I had to face racial discrimination at the workplace from co-workers and no matter what avenues I took to alleviate the problems, it just didn't seem like those who should have been working to make it stop would/could make it stop.

In the end, it triggered a hereditary defect and my life hasn't been the same since. I cannot even leave my house some days, and there really isn't much I can do about it as it's hard to live the "mind over matter" mantra when it's the mind that's broken. All in all, near as I can figure, the stress and pressure in that workplace triggered this issue about 20 to 30 years earlier than anyone else in my family who has suffered from the same condition. So, I wholeheartedly hope that Jonathan Martin will get healthy soon, and wether or not he plays in the NFL again, I hope he leads a happy life.

ps, I have thought very lowly of Richie Incognito for a very long time, so I was not all that shocked that he was the one the Dolphins threw under the bus when Martin filed his complaint against the team (as I do understand he filed it against the Dolphins and the Dolphins suspended Incognito in reaction).

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has been a lot of talk in the media about the problems with Jonathan Martin, the Miami Dolphins and Richie Incognito. It's been rather interesting to see people's reaction to this situation, as there are a lot of current and former players who are sympathetic to Martin, but there are quite a few (especially from the Dolphins themselves) who are angry at Martin for the situation.

So what are everyone's thoughts about this situation in particular and what if this situation was actually happening to the Seahawks would your thoughts be the same?

This thread should probably be taken up on the Fish or general forum. PC/JS wouldn't condone
this behavior or sign a lunatic like Incognito. :evil:

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well when the reports first surfaced about Martin getting up and leaving because his teammates played a "joke" I thought he was being really thin skinned but I wanted to hold off until I learned more about what was going on, and now I'm just shocked. I don't think I would have handle the situation the way Martin had because I wouldn't have been able to just walk away. The fact he's being mentally attacked for almost two years and we (general public) didn't hear about a fight breaking out or harm to himself is crazy.

So mad respect for Martin but unforntally I feel he's going to get the same treatment as Mcnabb got after TO. Everyone thought Mcnabb was soft for not publicly fighting back against TO when TO attacked his character (soft leader/throwing up in the huddle) and it really spelled the end for his career. As players felt they could walk over him and his leadership never seemed to recover. Now Martin will most likely never play for Fins again and have this follow him forever which might prevent him from ever playing in the league again. All because he said enough and walk away instead of "being a man" thus be violent. How many times have we seen some one get picked on turn to violence and instead of physically attacking them they bring a gun and harm others or themselves.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man stoker, sorry to hear you have had such a hard time dealing with those issues. All the best to you.

At least this situation will bring new light to this type of problem and maybe help put things in place to help minimize it from the NFL locker rooms in the future.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all industries there will be those that underperform. As a supervisor in a high ticket sales environment, I have been entrusted to motivate our staff to meet or exceed expectations.
If I am dealing with a person who has a high probability of not surviving the cut, I often pretend that when I am counseling these folks there is a recording device pointed at me so I better be on my most accurate assessment of this person's performance.
I have not yet heard enough to convince me who is truly wrong in this case.
Using just the cold hard facts, it looks like RI is the bad guy. Now there is speculation that he was persuaded by some of his coaches to lean on Martin. Some of RI's team mates are now backing him up.
Not yet sure who is in the right or wrong on this matter, I will reserve judgement until I have a clearer understanding of this situation.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it brings to light all the hazing of rookie or noob mentalities in everything. This is how the environment of bullying survives. I understand earning your spot and if there are clear and specific team related things like carrying equipment or whatever, I can see that a bit, but trying to toughen up a player through mistreatment is rediculous and then those mistreated players then jsut think they can do the same thing to future rookies or "soft" players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're still not getting the whole picture of what's been happening, but ever since that first part of the story came out, a lot of people have questioned Martin's manhood. I've read from random people that, as a football player, Martin should be used to that kind of behavior and if he didn't like it, he should have confronted Incognito a long time ago instead of getting up and "abandoning his team". It's been a "blame the victim" mentality everywhere I've seen this story written about.

People talk about Martin finally getting up and walking away from it as being "the latest example of the pussification of America", where apparently fighting back makes you a real man and walking away makes you a wuss. Now imagine if Martin had fought back instead of walking away. We'd probably be sitting here talking about his suspension from the team, or worse. The bottom line is that Incognito abused his position of power as a veteran player on the team's leadership council (who the hell let that jackass onto a leadership council?) and took it upon himself to not only attempt to "toughen up" Martin, but take advantage of the fact that Martin wasn't fighting back. Incognito is the one that deserves to be vilified here, yet a disturbing number of people I've seen talk about it are putting some, most or all of the blame for it on Martin. I will never understand that.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Is "Incognito" actually his legal name?

It's either Latin or Italian for "unknown" or "in disguise," FYI.

SeattleOspreys

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't understand what goes through someone's mind when they defend actions like these (Pouncey) and I also don't understand the "it's an NFL lockerroom and no one outside that lockerroom can understand what's happening" attitude that some are taking with this. I have faced similar things in my own life (albeit not in a professional sport, but in the private sector). I actually empathize with Martin a great deal in this situation.

I had co-workers who made threats against my family and I had to face racial discrimination at the workplace from co-workers and no matter what avenues I took to alleviate the problems, it just didn't seem like those who should have been working to make it stop would/could make it stop.

In the end, it triggered a hereditary defect and my life hasn't been the same since. I cannot even leave my house some days, and there really isn't much I can do about it as it's hard to live the "mind over matter" mantra when it's the mind that's broken. All in all, near as I can figure, the stress and pressure in that workplace triggered this issue about 20 to 30 years earlier than anyone else in my family who has suffered from the same condition. So, I wholeheartedly hope that Jonathan Martin will get healthy soon, and wether or not he plays in the NFL again, I hope he leads a happy life.

ps, I have thought very lowly of Richie Incognito for a very long time, so I was not all that shocked that he was the one the Dolphins threw under the bus when Martin filed his complaint against the team (as I do understand he filed it against the Dolphins and the Dolphins suspended Incognito in reaction).

Sorry about that blokes. I was just bustin' your ballz and didn't realize you've had a negative experience in your life. :doh:

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Incognito to me come off as a jock and a guy who would walk down the hall in Jr. high or high school pushing other people aside. It's not say that he didn't have problems growing up, because he admitted that he did, it's just the fact that he has a history of being a dirty player made me sympathize for Martin.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donte Stallworth was driving drunk and killed a pedestrian and got a mind boggling 30 days in jail.

That received 1/10th of the attention that this is getting.

This is what we call an agenda driven story.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry about that blokes. I was just bustin' your ballz and didn't realize you've had a negative experience in your life. :doh:

No big deal, I don't normally broadcast it on message boards. I wanted to know what other on this board thought of the situation, cause I was getting really teed off with guys like Mike Wallace and Mike Pouncey, and was really just wanting to know if I was letting my own experience cloud my judgement about this situation.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No big deal, I don't normally broadcast it on message boards. I wanted to know what other on this board thought of the situation, cause I was getting really teed off with guys like Mike Wallace and Mike Pouncey, and was really just wanting to know if I was letting my own experience cloud my judgement about this situation.

You can add Antrel Rolle to that list who isn't even playing for the Dolphins. Then you also have the former Dolphin Ricky Williams who had a lot to say in defense to Incognito and ripped Martin. If guys like these are saying this is acceptable as part of the locker room culture for the Dolphins, then to me, they've really gone beyond the "rookie hazing." in Miami.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with rookie hazing because it's called paying your dues, but what Incognito did was unthinkable. This guy has been a problem from day 1 he stepped onto a college football field up to now and i'm shocked no one has popped him in the jaw for his out of control behavior. Seeking help has already past by Incognito and thankfully his NFL career has come to an end, and I bet he's broke in 5 years. I wish Martin stepped up to the plate and confronted him, but I understand that people aren't confrontational and hopefully he can get it together and continue his NFL career.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with rookie hazing because it's called paying your dues, but what Incognito did was unthinkable. This guy has been a problem from day 1 he stepped onto a college football field up to now and i'm shocked no one has popped him in the jaw for his out of control behavior. Seeking help has already past by Incognito and thankfully his NFL career has come to an end, and I bet he's broke in 5 years. I wish Martin stepped up to the plate and confronted him, but I understand that people aren't confrontational and hopefully he can get it together and continue his NFL career.

I don't condone Incognito's behavior (whatever that is) but Steve Smith has physically assaulted 3 of his own teammates ...and he is still playing today.

So tell me why is Incognito being made out like he is a murderer?