• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mets @ Pirates

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty strong outing for Morton, 7 solid innings. Pity about that home run in the 7th, but he got the next two outs, and that means we're going to the 'pens with the score at worst tied, and that always bodes well for the Pirates.

The offense hasn't really shown up yet today, though. We need to string some hits together.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
besides soriano and bruce, it seems we have given up so many HRs this year to hitters batting less than 220 and people that are hitting their 2nd or 3rd of the year and in the 90th game.

we seem to do great against the good hitters(2nd in NL in HR allowed) and our staff is keeping the ball in the park, but we are bitten by these crappy hitters.
is it martin lapsing in his management or pitchers letting up to not walk crappy hitters or ?????
has anyone else noticed this.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
besides soriano and bruce, it seems we have given up so many HRs this year to hitters batting less than 220 and people that are hitting their 2nd or 3rd of the year and in the 90th game.

we seem to do great against the good hitters(2nd in NL in HR allowed) and our staff is keeping the ball in the park, but we are bitten by these crappy hitters.
is it martin lapsing in his management or pitchers letting up to not walk crappy hitters or ?????
has anyone else noticed this.

Usually that's just a case of giving a guy who can't hit a good pitch to hit because he probably won't hit it.

Sometimes they run into one.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yea, i agree, but it seems like we give up more homers on those pitches than other teams do. especially this year with as dominant as our pitching has been.

to bad pedro didnt bring the house down with a walkoff.

with ike davis hitting 170, why would we ever give wright a pitch to hit.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2-0 thought he would be taking to put pressure on the pitcher with bases loaded.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walking him. I guess he won't get the chance.

Okay, Jose!

stillmatic32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to win even with no offense after the first inning. I like Martin, but he's just not a #5 hitter. I would say if I was going to say there is a big-time need on this team, it's a right hander to bat 5th. Who could that be?

RAISE IT!

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to win even with no offense after the first inning. I like Martin, but he's just not a #5 hitter. I would say if I was going to say there is a big-time need on this team, it's a right hander to bat 5th. Who could that be?

RAISE IT!

At this point no clue but yeah they need that hitter.

Anyway it was a good win.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
RH to bat 5th,
of our current players, do you swap tabata(look at slugging as he is much more authority this year and hopefully continues as he is still just 24) and martin. i know jose is a good 2, but that is the only other place martin is reasonably placed other than 8th to get the lineup going before marte with his OBP.

other option when walker back is walker at 2, tabata at 5, martin at 8.
marte, walker, cutch, alvarez, tabata, jones/gabby, mercer, martin, P

another option is trying T sanchez as he wasntoverwhelmed when he was up and has continued to perform well at AAA with some nice SLG there this year surprisingly.
it is a leap and i am skeptical, but i never thought he would hit this well at AAA this year, so maybe he is back to his pre broken jaw hitting skills. he could be our 5th, at least 3 days per week if his defense/game calling isnt a handicap.

lastly, while on this subject, i want to discuss marte. he is an extra base machine with power. he loses a bunch of HR with the deep LC at PNC and already 2nd on the team in SLG. thats with swinging at crap half of his AB. when he gets better pitch selection with time and maturity and adjusts to the pitchers, i see him actually being our 3 hitter, moving cutch to our 2nd and tabata as leadoff. can make arguments either way for tabata and cutch.
either way, our ideal lineup is those 3 at the top, but i wouldnt glue marte into leadoff as his power is impressive and with a alvarez behind him, and people on base in front of him, i think he would get better pitches to hit and we would see his numbers even improve.

so far he comes to the plate with the worst 9 place in MLB preceding him, and then barmes 200 batting 8 most of the time, so pitchers can give him junk and exploit his immature eye.
just some thoughts moving forward.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
aj, too much nibbling, not efficient and too many leadoff walks again. seems to walk the leadoff hitter and terrible hitters at a high rate.
he battles, but when other teams are 16 for 16 in SB, a walk is a double.
with the depth we have, i am second guessing whether we need him and his aging body next year.
liriano, locke, cole, morton, wandy, gomez, then taillon, mcP, wilson, pimental, irwin, oliver, etc.
that gives us a butt load of money to go after a big hitter or a trade for someone who costs money.