• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayweather vs Alvarez

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all set guys.

September 14th it will be Money Mayweather against the best young boxer in the sport.

They'll meet at a catch weight of 152 but according to Dan Rafeal of ESPN, Alvarez can move up to whatever weight he feels to once he makes weight.

Alvarez can punch hard but the question is are his hands fast enough to catch Floyd?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming to an agreement on the specific weight was a major issue in making the deal. Mayweather often mocked Pacquiao for insisting on catchweights for some of his fights, and in the two previous junior middleweight fights Mayweather has had, against Cotto and Oscar De La Hoya, the contract weight was 154. But this time, Mayweather sought the catchweight.

"It's 152, and that is fine," Alvarez said. "I will have to work a little harder, but I feel I can make the weight and that I will be strong. To make the fight I had to give a little, he had to give a little, too. I feel it was fair, and both sides are happy. He fought (with a contract weight of) 154 before, but he wanted the (catchweight) and I accepted it. He gave a little, I gave a little, and we got the fight done.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. to fight Canelo Alvarez on Sept. 14 - ESPN

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mayweather makes excuses and stipulations for most of his fights.. what ever gives him an advantage.. i hope alvarez stops him cold..

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Mayweather's success bring the hatred out of you people? Just face the fact that he is arguably the greatest boxer pound for pound of all time. Word.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he was as good as he thinks he is he would have fought Pacman when he had the chance .. he ducks and dodges any real challenge.. thats why has nothing to do with his ability to box.. its his mentality as an athlete that drives me buggy.. step in the ring and face any challenges and stop making excuses..

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacman should of signed the contract then, and not use the excuse of being scared of needles.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayweather is a great fighter but IMO he did not fight enough great fighters when they were still in their prime

JeremyLambert88

Real Name, No Gimmicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pumped for this fight. I'm a big Floyd fan just because of how technically brilliant he is. You can say he ducked guys and that he's boring, but he wasn't the only person at fault for the PacMan negotiations falling through and he's only boring to those who prefer wild slugfests over fundamental boxing.

In fighting Alvarez, you can't say he's ducking the best. Alvarez is considered to be the best guy in his division and he's not "over the hill," which is another knock against Mayweather opponents. I still think the PacMan fight is bigger, but with some steam being off that and it likely to never happen, Alvarez is the biggest and toughest fight Floyd can take.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pumped for this fight. I'm a big Floyd fan just because of how technically brilliant he is. You can say he ducked guys and that he's boring, but he wasn't the only person at fault for the PacMan negotiations falling through and he's only boring to those who prefer wild slugfests over fundamental boxing.

In fighting Alvarez, you can't say he's ducking the best. Alvarez is considered to be the best guy in his division and he's not "over the hill," which is another knock against Mayweather opponents. I still think the PacMan fight is bigger, but with some steam being off that and it likely to never happen, Alvarez is the biggest and toughest fight Floyd can take.

I can't wait for this fight! I'm a huge fan of PBF as well. I love his cockiness, and the fact that he backs it up by putting up the W. He may not be the most flashy fighter when it comes to just all out brawling, but the technical side has kept him fresh. I know he gets shit all the time for ducking pacman, but as you said he wasn't the only one at fault.

On the Alvarez thing, everyone wanted him to fight Alvarez, but some already had an excuse for if Alvarez loses. They were saying "he's too young" "hasn't proved himself" "doesn't have the experience" So now if PBF wins everyone will just start uses these excuses again. With Floyd he can never win, everyone is always trying to knock him down for ducking this guy and fighting this guy too late into his career. Floyd can never win when it comes to trying to convince people he's one of the greatest fights of this time.

I grew up with boxing in the 90's watching it with my parents. However, I can admire what PBF has done in this day and age of boxing. It's a different style and sport now. Even the heavyweights are dominated by guys that are more technical fighters with the Klitschko's and their current reign, and they too are considered to be boring fighters by many.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't wait for this fight! I'm a huge fan of PBF as well. I love his cockiness, and the fact that he backs it up by putting up the W. He may not be the most flashy fighter when it comes to just all out brawling, but the technical side has kept him fresh. I know he gets shit all the time for ducking pacman, but as you said he wasn't the only one at fault.

On the Alvarez thing, everyone wanted him to fight Alvarez, but some already had an excuse for if Alvarez loses. They were saying "he's too young" "hasn't proved himself" "doesn't have the experience" So now if PBF wins everyone will just start uses these excuses again. With Floyd he can never win, everyone is always trying to knock him down for ducking this guy and fighting this guy too late into his career. Floyd can never win when it comes to trying to convince people he's one of the greatest fights of this time.

I grew up with boxing in the 90's watching it with my parents. However, I can admire what PBF has done in this day and age of boxing. It's a different style and sport now. Even the heavyweights are dominated by guys that are more technical fighters with the Klitschko's and their current reign, and they too are considered to be boring fighters by many.
Not really a PBF fan but he is a great fighter. It just kills me how people continue to blame him for the Manny fight when it's CLEARLY Arum that stopped that from fighting. His last excuse for the fight to not happen was just stupid. Anyway, looking forward to this fight. I honestly think it could go either way. People don't realize how much bigger Canelo is than Floyd and I do think it will play a part. I hope PBF can pull it out though.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping this is a great fight and maybe we will finally want to see a great rematch and get Floyd v. Alvarez II. I think it'll be a GREAT fight and won't be boring like PBF's last fight. I'd like to see Floyd go out undefeated, but if Alvarez proves to be the great opponent that we're hoping I wouldn't mind seeing him win this time, or if there is a rematch winning then. I just like watching a great fight, and if the winner isn't the guy I'm cheering for as long as it's good and exciting i'll be happy.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will get a rematch regardless and I think they both will sell well. I plan on getting the fight in September but again, I think Canelo's size will play a part. It amazes me how people want Floyd to fight guys way bigger than him and when he does in Canelo, people want him to still fight guys bigger than him, ie, Ward, GGG. And before anyone says he should fight GGG, Ward called out GGG and he was saying it will be a few years before they fight. When have you ever seen the champion call out a challenger? PS, GGG is 31, he's not exactly a newbie. Sorry for the rant but had to vent. There has got to be more fight fans than this here.

depraved

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,130.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will get a rematch regardless and I think they both will sell well. I plan on getting the fight in September but again, I think Canelo's size will play a part. It amazes me how people want Floyd to fight guys way bigger than him and when he does in Canelo, people want him to still fight guys bigger than him, ie, Ward, GGG. And before anyone says he should fight GGG, Ward called out GGG and he was saying it will be a few years before they fight. When have you ever seen the champion call out a challenger? PS, GGG is 31, he's not exactly a newbie. Sorry for the rant but had to vent. There has got to be more fight fans than this here.

I agree with the statement on people wanting to see PBF fight people larger than him. At this point the PBF doubters won't be happy until he fights the Klitschko brothers back to back nights. Even if he somehow won or did the fight they'd still bitch. We should just be thankful we still have some boxing left and they haven't all migrated over to MMA.

Sadly, it seems in the US that most have moved over to MMA. This is probably about the only boxing fans who care enough to discuss the fight before it happens. Maybe I'm wrong and they don't know about this forum, we can hope!

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does Mayweather's success bring the hatred out of you people? Just face the fact that he is arguably the greatest boxer pound for pound of all time. Word.

It's pretty obvious why he is hated. All you have to do is open you eyes and ears. I hate loudmouths for on. I also hate fighters who hit and then run. I guess if you like loudmouthed boxers with no power and one who is always on the retreat, Floyd is your guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's pretty obvious why he is hated. All you have to do is open you eyes and ears. I hate loudmouths for on. I also hate fighters who hit and then run. I guess if you like loudmouthed boxers with no power and one who is always on the retreat, Floyd is your guy.

Sad thing is Broner is following in his footsteps.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broner goes way overboard. I'm a Mayweather fan but Broner just crosses the line.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lay off the crack, dude. He isn't arguably the best pound for pound fighter of all time. He's a little bitch that runs from the best fighters on a continual basis.

Ali never ducked anyone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Mayweather labeled a ducker when Paq has fought the same guys he fought and hasn't really fought anyone of any value? Now Mayweather is fighting arguably the best young prospect who's bigger than him but yet he's a ducker? Some people kill me. He didn't fight Paq because of Arum, and that's clearly the case. He offered him $40M up front, something he has never made from a fight. Arum's response? We have to build a stadium. What the freak kind of answer is that?!

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Mayweather labeled a ducker when Paq has fought the same guys he fought and hasn't really fought anyone of any value? Now Mayweather is fighting arguably the best young prospect who's bigger than him but yet he's a ducker? Some people kill me. He didn't fight Paq because of Arum, and that's clearly the case. He offered him $40M up front, something he has never made from a fight. Arum's response? We have to build a stadium. What the freak kind of answer is that?!

It's always someone else's fault when he doesn't fight the best challenger. He makes stipulations that are embarrassing to the said opponent and then acts like they are afraid to fight HIM.

What's with the catch weight of 152?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because Canelo is known to come in on fight night as much as 170, possibly 180. Can yoi honestly say that Canelo isn't the best prospect in boxing right now? This is probably the best fight Mayweather could have possibly made. People are hyped for this card, more than any I've seen in boxing for awhile. Top Rank fighters tend to fight only in house fighters, so that Arum could keep all the money to himself.