• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mayhew may franchise Suh

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd count less against the cap the second time he's tagged than the first time this year. Im not saying its likely to happen or anything. Just that it wouldn't be as big of a splurge as this year would.

Wouldn't they still be paying him 57 million for 2 years, if they tagged him next year too? 26 for this year -- 31 for the year after that. Plus the 9 million in dead money this year -- so he'd actually count for 66 million against the cap for 2 years.

Those numbers are astronomical to even think about. Suh can basically name his price to the Lions if they want to keep him, based on how they restructured his deal. They could offer him 3 years for 60 million and actually save money on the deal, as they'd basically get the last year for 3 million.

UGH. I wish he didn't have the Lions bent over in the negotiations. We'd have a much better chance to keep him.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as far to go as once thought

I found something interesting last night in playing around with our cap numbers and in reviewing the past posts from other guys as well.

Everything that has been said thus far has been correct in saying that we have roughly $120m committed. But the number of players under contract has been said to be about 40. Over the Cap is the best website to get info from, those numbers come directly from the NFLPA, and they list 41 players with Suh on that list (so really on 40).

I broke out a calculator last night and added each of those contracts together. Oddly enough that number came a little more than $4m less than the $120m reported amount. Why? Because they have factored in the remaining contracts at the minimum levels to reach the 51 contracts that count in the offseason.

How does that help? Because probably those additional contracts that are being counted won't be on the team, they will be replaced by vets like Mathis, Mulbach, etc, who are signed to one year deals with the minimum salary benefit. Other draft picks from even the 2nd round on this year based on where we pick will have cap hits that are only slightly above those amounts already being counted.

This is great both for FA and even trying to tag Suh if it comes to that. The camp battles that will make the bottom of the roster but still be relevant guys wont even add $2m to the cap. We pick late so our first round pick also doesn't cost much. My estimate is that at 51 PUC, including our rookies we would have $124m committed.

Now do the cuts of Tulloch and Bush using the post June 1 designations and you have 49 PUC with $116m committed. While that still doesn't fit in Suh just yet, or our own key FA's (or other ones we might want to add) we are certainly getting quite a bit closer before anyone has to be restructured.

Come on Millenhew you stupid fuck, get a deal done with Suh and not only will we not have to restructure anything but we would have solid $ to play with in FA.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impending free agent Ndamukong Suh is expected to get upwards of $50 million guaranteed on his next contract.

Suh's said to be looking for a Mario Williams or J.J. Watt-type contract. Watt just inked a six-year, $100 million extension with the Texans back in September that included $51.8 million guaranteed. ESPN's Field Yates mentions the Raiders, Browns, Bengals, Bears, and Lions as potential landing spots for Suh.

- Roto

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They wont lose him, I believe they will use the franchise tag as leverage on suh in order to retain him.

I don't know. That is soooo much money. MAAAYBE if they jump the cap up another 10-12 million like last year.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now do the cuts of Tulloch and Bush using the post June 1 designations and you have 49 PUC with $116m committed.

Why are we going to cut Tulloch? Dude's a baller

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. That is soooo much money. MAAAYBE if they jump the cap up another 10-12 million like last year.

The cap is expected to go up at least $10 million this year...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading 143 as an expected number.

Id be cool with Tully returning. But Id still cut him. Then resign him if he can't get a better deal anywhere else. (Without Schwartz having a job, Id think that's likely.)

He'd be our highest paid guy if he's back and Suh were to leave. That isn't necessary IMO.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impending free agent Ndamukong Suh is expected to get upwards of $50 million guaranteed on his next contract.

Suh's said to be looking for a Mario Williams or J.J. Watt-type contract. Watt just inked a six-year, $100 million extension with the Texans back in September that included $51.8 million guaranteed. ESPN's Field Yates mentions the Raiders, Browns, Bengals, Bears, and Lions as potential landing spots for Suh.

- Roto

THAT'S IT???? Are you shitting me?? That should take about 5 minutes to put together. I would gladly guarantee $63m without so much as a fucking thought and have that covered in 3 years.

$25m SB, Option bonus in Yr 3 of $12m, Salaries of 4, 13, and 10. Those are cap hits of $17.75m, $18m, and $18m. That's it. I know that's an incredibly simplified analysis but the first few years of any deal are the easy ones. That amount paid to him in those first few years absolutely crushes the Watt contract. Use 5yr amortization on the SB, and 4 years on the Option bonus. Entering the 5th year you would only have $8m dead and $3m after that year. How long did that take?

If that's all he's looking for and Mayhew and Lewand fuck this up then Swarm better start brewing that diarrhea shit for their gas tanks he mentioned a couple weeks ago but those fuckheads deserve it.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep reading 143 as an expected number.

Id be cool with Tully returning. But Id still cut him. Then resign him if he can't get a better deal anywhere else. (Without Schwartz having a job, Id think that's likely.)

He'd be our highest paid guy if he's back and Suh were to leave. That isn't necessary IMO.

In a 4-3, the middle linebacker is the most important position on the defense. Remember all those years of facing the Bears and Urlacher? That shit sucked.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a 4-3, the middle linebacker is the most important position on the defense. Remember all those years of facing the Bears and Urlacher? That shit sucked.

The guy is coming off a serious injury, the cause of which was stupid beyond belief, and he is too expensive and we need the cap space. He is a casualty of the business side of the league. He's an easy cut IMO. Sorry

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It did suck. But Tully isn't a gamechanger like BUrlacher. He was real damn good though. Solid as it got against the run, but not so much in coverage.

Whitehead was second on the team in tackles. If Tully is gone, like I assume, we'll have to address MLB somewhat. Not completely replacing him. But bolstering the options. Especially is Suh is gone. And Bynes. If Suhs gone we'll get tested up the middle quite a bit. And I don't like to think about the test scores.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the worst part of all the talk about the OL, Tulloch, possibly trading Calvin or losing Suh. 4 guys were drafted after the Lions drafted last year that could fill any of those spots.

CJ Moseley was a pro bowl LB for the Ravens

Aaron Donald was a pro bowl DT for the Rams

The ND guy on the Cowboys that play OG was a 1st team All-Pro

WR -- take your pick, but OBJ was absolutely amazing after returning from his injury

I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that Ebron develops and turns into a difference maker on the offensive side of the ball. Last year's draft was stacked and we got no help at all from it this past year. Hopefully 2015 is a different story.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the love of god, will you please stop bitching about the Ebron pick? We get it. Anyone who has read a single post of yours on this board since last May gets it. It's over, done, and finished. You can complain till you're 90 years old about that pick, and it will still never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever change. Ever. You can't bitch this situation into being what you wanted. It's out of your control and the Lions made a move that you (well, pretty much all of us) didn't like. You've got to accept that and move on and stop hijacking threads.

We get it, you're a goddamn genius because you would have taken someone besides Ebron. Hooray for you, we'll get you a cookie, a medal, and a trophy to signify and commemorate your football genius if you will promise not to talk about Ebron again between now and the start of next season. Deal?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ebron is a total beast on Madden.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish he was a total beast for us on the field.

I think he'll be a whole lot better last season. He looked like he was over-thinking everything all season, which he probably was. If you look at clips of what he was asked to do in college, vs. what he has to do in our offense and it's night and day different. He really was just a big WR at NC...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. What's done is done, no use crying over spilled milk. He's our guy now may as well support him. He's got all the athleticism and size in the world, just needs to wrap his head around the playbook and maybe toughen up just a little in order to make those catches in traffic.

If nothing else he should be a serious red zone threat every time were inside the 20.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get it, you're a goddamn genius because you would have taken someone besides Ebron. Hooray for you, we'll get you a cookie, a medal, and a trophy to signify and commemorate your football genius if you will promise not to talk about Ebron again between now and the start of next season. Deal?

No reason to state the obvious, so calling me a genius is unnecessary. As far as the deal -- I will pass on the cookie (I'm not much into sweets of any kind), but I will gladly accept the medal and trophy.

And the post I made wasn't taking a shot at Ebron -- it was made to take a shot at our GM, as one of the best drafts in recent memory, where pro bowl caliber players at multiple positions were drafted and huge contributors in multiple rounds were drafted and the Lions received basically no help from our draft picks.

Our "rookie of the year" for the Lions would probably be Travis Swanson, as he played pretty good in the little time he was in the lineup because of injuries. That is pretty sad when that is the best rookie we had on our squad after the draft class that was available.

With Detroit handing out some monster contracts for their stars -- we HAVE to hit on our draft picks to sustain any type of momentum at becoming a consistent winning franchise.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If your talking draft picks,no way you can bash Mayhew. IMO he's done better than average, if not pretty good, in that area. Last years draft was pretty damn good.