• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Matt Kemp's agent thinks trade could come

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I think something's going to happen at some point

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to see Matt Kemp remain a Dodger and see if he can stay healthy and return to form. Yet, I can see where Dodger brass might consider the prospect of moving Kemp to save some money and stock the Farm System with some top prospects; players who are near major league ready or players who can start right out with the big club.

I'm not really expecting Kemp to be traded and I don't think you can necessarily expect a trade just because Dave Stewart (isn't that Kemp's agent?) has a feeling it could happen.

I'm sure the Dodgers are far from through making moves, but I'm not expecting Kemp to be moved. Plus, teams who might be interested in Kemp have to think about his recent injury history and the fact he's coming off ankle and shoulder surgery yet again.

I'd like to see the Dodgers make a move during the Winter Meetings that will net a starting infielder, no matter what position that may be (other than 1B). And, Kershaw and Ramirez are still out there waiting for a possible extension. Perhaps signing those two guys is as important as any other moves the Dodgers make.

Any way, unless a team is willing to blow the Dodgers' socks off, I see no pressing reason to trade Kemp. Ethier would make a lot more sense, but even that might be difficult to do with an expectation that the Dodgers will markedly improve as a result of such a move.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Dodgers can pry Xavier Bogearts from Boston or Dustin Ackley from Seattle, plus some other players of course, I would be on board.
I think after the Mariners making such a HUGE splash on Cano that they may go harder after Kemp if we are willing to eat a good portion of Kemp's contract. Ackley and maybe Jesus Montero??

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the Dodgers consider trades for Kemp? Absolutely. It's always smart to listen.

I just really doubt a suitable offer is out there. Ackley has kinda fallen off a bit, IMO. I know everyone thinks that Nick Franklin is the perfect trade candidate from the Mariners now that Cano is signed for the next decade, so getting him and Ackley would be a half decent return. I just wonder about those two young players. They sound nice as "young guys" with "promise" and "potential," but we already know that a healthy Matt Kemp is easily one of the best players in the game.

There's no urgency to move him, Ethier, or even Crawford for that matter. If the Mariners want to be hasty and give the Dodgers Franklin for Ethier and cash, then I jump on that in a heartbeat. Kemp would be more difficult to replace.

Plus, you need a 4th outfielder. Pederson? If you trade Kemp, you no longer have a starting center fielder. So you not only need a 4th outfielder, you need one that can play CF (Ackley can do that, to be fair).

Another negative about the idea of Kemp for Franklin/Ackley is that Ackley hits lefty. So now you have 3 lefty outfielders on your roster. That doesn't sound fun. Also - Ackley isn't a good hitter (almost zero power and he doesn't even get on base well).

I vote for KEEP KEMP!

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see Kemp go to Boston or the Yankees and stay hurt and eat payroll.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should the Dodgers consider trades for Kemp? Absolutely. It's always smart to listen.

I just really doubt a suitable offer is out there. Ackley has kinda fallen off a bit, IMO. I know everyone thinks that Nick Franklin is the perfect trade candidate from the Mariners now that Cano is signed for the next decade, so getting him and Ackley would be a half decent return. I just wonder about those two young players. They sound nice as "young guys" with "promise" and "potential," but we already know that a healthy Matt Kemp is easily one of the best players in the game.

There's no urgency to move him, Ethier, or even Crawford for that matter. If the Mariners want to be hasty and give the Dodgers Franklin for Ethier and cash, then I jump on that in a heartbeat. Kemp would be more difficult to replace.

Plus, you need a 4th outfielder. Pederson? If you trade Kemp, you no longer have a starting center fielder. So you not only need a 4th outfielder, you need one that can play CF (Ackley can do that, to be fair).

Another negative about the idea of Kemp for Franklin/Ackley is that Ackley hits lefty. So now you have 3 lefty outfielders on your roster. That doesn't sound fun. Also - Ackley isn't a good hitter (almost zero power and he doesn't even get on base well).

I vote for KEEP KEMP!

I am not saying he is going to get traded, but do we really have any earthly idea what the BoSox and Seattle are willing to offer? I know that this is the time of year that rumors are flying, however, with Stewart and Colletti's comments, something is going on. If we are set on moving Kemp, we had better get an amazing return.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying he is going to get traded, but do we really have any earthly idea what the BoSox and Seattle are willing to offer? I know that this is the time of year that rumors are flying, however, with Stewart and Colletti's comments, something is going on. If we are set on moving Kemp, we had better get an amazing return.

I agree with you.

I never like to be in the position when you're "set on moving PLAYER X." It just seems like you're setting yourself up for a lesser return. That being said, of course it's smart to listen. Sometimes, the best move is the one you didn't make.

Kemp for Franklin/Ackley sounds like a terrible deal for the Dodgers. Ethier for Franklin/Ackley... That sounds muuuuch better!

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you.

I never like to be in the position when you're "set on moving PLAYER X." It just seems like you're setting yourself up for a lesser return. That being said, of course it's smart to listen. Sometimes, the best move is the one you didn't make.

Kemp for Franklin/Ackley sounds like a terrible deal for the Dodgers. Ethier for Franklin/Ackley... That sounds muuuuch better!

According to rotoworld, the O's are going after Either.

Andre Ethier - Los Angeles Dodgers - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

I don't want to fill a hole and create another one. For a Kemp trade to happen we need a combo of MLB starters and prospects.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to rotoworld, the O's are going after Either.

Andre Ethier - Los Angeles Dodgers - 2013 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

I don't want to fill a hole and create another one. For a Kemp trade to happen we need a combo of MLB starters and prospects.

The Ethier "report" is based on a satellite radio interview Duquette did where he didn't outright say "No, we're not trying to trade for Ethier" when they asked him. He did, however, make it clear he's not interested in K-Mo and Tanaka. Of course, saying yes to that question would be tampering and therefore, a huge no-no in MLB. For the record, he also did say (in so many words) "No, we're not trying to sign Ibanez," which I would guess to be more likely for them to do instead of trading for Ethier (cheaper in money and zero prospects lost).

Long story short: I'm sure the Orioles are considering a trade for Ethier. That doesn't mean that they are "going after" him. That might be a small difference, but it's an important distinction nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's interesting that Stewart is running around saying he expects Kemp to be traded. Could he be carrying on this way because he wants Kemp to be traded?

Reporters will say pretty much anything this time of year. You have to believe Ned is talking to teams about a few scenarios, including ones concerning Ethier. That doesn't mean a trade is going to happen.

Ned needs to get back to work on extending Ramirez and had better show Kershaw the Dodgers want him for a long, long time. If Kershaw becomes a FA, which is entirely possible, I think the Rangers will have the best shot of signing him.

I hope the Dodgers don't give away the Farm for Price.

Dodgers also need to get an answer from Uribe and see if he's coming back.

Could Jamie Wright be a Dodger again?

Please re-sign J.P. Howell.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if the Dodgers can pry Xavier Bogearts from Boston or Dustin Ackley from Seattle, plus some other players of course, I would be on board.
I think after the Mariners making such a HUGE splash on Cano that they may go harder after Kemp if we are willing to eat a good portion of Kemp's contract. Ackley and maybe Jesus Montero??

works for me

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustin Ackley and Jesus Montero don't fit on the Dodgers at all. Why would you want those guys?

Reporters will say pretty much anything this time of year. You have to believe Ned is talking to teams about a few scenarios, including ones concerning Ethier. That doesn't mean a trade is going to happen.

Amen to that.

Could Jamie Wright be a Dodger again?

Please re-sign J.P. Howell.

I'm happy for Howell to come back, but I think he might be asking for too much. I think I read that he wants a 3-year contract. No thanks. I'd rather just overpay him for one season that guarantee a roster spot for three.

Jamie Wright - yes! I really liked him when he was on the Dodgers. He was solid as a long-man. I would be happy to see him back in Dodger blue.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest word is Kemp will not be traded, which is good. Given Kemp's physical woes he wouldn't bring as much and if he comes back strong the Dodgers get the benefit of that production.

If the Dodgers are interested in trading him after a strong bounce back season they would presumably get more in return.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest word is Kemp will not be traded, which is good. Given Kemp's physical woes he wouldn't bring as much and if he comes back strong the Dodgers get the benefit of that production.

If the Dodgers are interested in trading him after a strong bounce back season they would presumably get more in return.

Kemp ain't going anywhere, Kemp's agent is an idiot for opening his big mouth in the 1st place (what a dumb ass):lol:

Matt Kemp will remain with Los Angeles Dodgers, agent says - ESPN Los Angeles

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprised he's trade bait but Dodgers would be crazy to take anything less then what Kemp is worth.
We aren't the ones desperate.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guarantee that the Dodgers heard a ton of trade offers for Kemp this week. I'm sure they'll hear some more. But, like I suspected, no one is offering anything that should interest the Dodgers. So Colletti told Kemp's agent that they're not going to move him.

Trading Kemp would leave a huge hole in the Dodgers' lineup and outfield, so the return would have to be outrageous for it to be worth it. No one is going to give up a ton of players for that, not after two injury-plagued seasons in a row.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any team is willing to do it, but like I said if one of them is willing to sell the farm for Kemp then so be it, but I still want Kemp. He's more impatient than any of his haters are about getting on the field, he's going to get back out there.