• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Mariners vs Angels (Final Game - King on the Mound - Season on the Line)

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Lloyd pulled him after the A's won. He let Felix get the standing ovation he deserves from the home crowd in a very touching moment. Felix pitched great and got the W. I don't understand your frustration here? Why leave him in to risk injury at that point?

Because that's not how baseball should be played. The fans had plenty of opportunities to give him a standing ovation further in the game. Why risk injury IMO is a cowardly way to approach it. It's no more pathetic IMO than letting a guy get one hit which puts his percentage points ahead in the batting title race then pulling him to prevent him losing it.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bull shit and complete bush league move by Lloyd, I've lost some respect for him for pulling Felix. Thought old school guys had respect for the game?

Two reasons for pulling him, both of which I approve of:
1. So he could have his own personal moment with the fans. He deserved it. The fans deserved it too.
2. So he could preserve his ERA title. If Felix had stayed in, knowing the Rngers had lost, his focus could have been compromised. With the game (and the ERA title) on the line, it was not worth the risk.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because that's not how baseball should be played. The fans had plenty of opportunities to give him a standing ovation further in the game. Why risk injury IMO is a cowardly way to approach it. It's no more pathetic IMO than letting a guy get one hit which puts his percentage points ahead in the batting title race then pulling him to prevent him losing it.

In 1997, Lou Piniella put Randy Johnson in, in a bullshit relief role, so he could win his 20th game. This type of stuff happens alot more offten than you think. How many fat fastballs do you think Jeter saw in the last month of the season? Probably more than any other player in either league. The homerun Cal Ripken hit in the 2001 All Star game was a grooved fastball also.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two reasons for pulling him, both of which I approve of:
1. So he could have his own personal moment with the fans. He deserved it. The fans deserved it too.
2. So he could preserve his ERA title. If Felix had stayed in, knowing the Rngers had lost, his focus could have been compromised. With the game (and the ERA title) on the line, it was not worth the risk.

1. Felix deserved an ovation, but it should have waiting until he actually needed to be pulled or even if he did his job and threw a complete game. I think it is a bush move by Lloyd and if Felix wanted it that way then I lost all respect for Felix
2. Them preserving the ERA title is a huge pussy move and see to my 1. Baseball isn't football, it's not an extra risk by giving him an extra 3 or 4 innings.

And to your other point with Randy Johnson, bringing him in to try and get an extra or bringing someone for an extra inning to trying to get a title isn't bush. They are coming into try and get it not playing scared. Pulling someone how shows cowardice. Felix needed to earn the ERA title and Lloyd pulling keeps Felix from actually going out there and earning it.

Grooving fastball for all star games for guys like CRJ and pitchers tipping their cap to Jeter this season with pitches isn't even in the realm of comparison.

BSUSeahawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh, I was at the game and I thought it was a nice gesture by Lloyd. It didn't really matter either way -- season was over at that point.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Felix needed to earn the ERA title and Lloyd pulling keeps Felix from actually going out there and earning it.

He needed what, 2 more innings out of an entire season to EARN the title in your opinion? Thats crazy Wazzu31, step away from the ledge. Apparently he only needed 5+ innings to technically EARN the title because in the end......it is his after all. Of all things to bitch and moan about at the end of a season where it was edge of your seat action all the way until very last game, really? Shits crazy bro.....

:lol: