• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Mariners at Rays: Fri, Jun 6 - Mon, June 9

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You left out the two stat's that matter the most:

5.5 out of the division
tied for 1st in the wildcard...

It might be a pile of dog shit, and Cano isn't hitting dingers, but these are the M's and there still in the mix in June, it's been a while since this team has had that going for them...
And 2 outs from a 6-1 road trip and 5 games over .500.

The bottom line is they keep winning and that is the point of the game. Lots of credit has to go to Lloyd. He's getting a lot out of a pretty tattered lineup.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow we actually won with Erasmo going against Price. This may be a sign for even the glass half empty guys to start buying in.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You left out the two stat's that matter the most:

5.5 out of the division
tied for 1st in the wildcard...
keep talking like that

we'll definitely revisit this in a month or two

lol

i love it when people start talking about the m's like they're relevant

a week or two of fluke success is all it takes, i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 games over .500 after a 6-1 road trip and still everything is shit. Some people just have to be negative at all times. I don't get it. Try enjoying something from time to time.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't blame people for enjoying the ephemeral success. it's very rare, and will continue to be that way until the team gets a front office that has any clue what it's doing.

baseball fans understand it can't possibly last long with literally only good pitching. even if the offense were "only" bottom 5-6 in the AL, it wouldn't look so bleak. we've seen teams contend with great pitching and an offense in the top 50% of the league (the m's aren't even close) on occasion, but it's very rare.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5 games over .500 after a 6-1 road trip and still everything is shit. Some people just have to be negative at all times. I don't get it. Try enjoying something from time to time.

I don't think that's possible for cezero. Guys like him are always looking for signs that the other shoe is gonna drop. There doesn't need to be nothing but candy and sunshine from everybody all the time, especially when the team is going bad like it was during the 8-game losing streak, but when they put good stretches together, even if there's a good chance that it's not going to last, it's good to recognize it. The offense is what it is and isn't likely to get much better unless trades are made to make it better, but the team is winning despite that and the longer they can keep doing that, the better they have a chance to be if and when they do make those deals for bats. They're 8-2 in their last 10 games and are one of only 5 teams in the American League with a positive run differential. Most of that is thanks to the pitching, but still...

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all for enjoying the run. If you enjoy it and they tank I still think its worth feeling good about, even if its just for a few weeks.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not going to enjoy the good points of the season you might as well not watch, comment on, or even think about the team for the entire season and just look at the record at the end of the year.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're not going to enjoy the good points of the season you might as well not watch, comment on, or even think about the team for the entire season and just look at the record at the end of the year.

Taking 3 of 4 is great in most cases. But even going 2-2 against the worst team in baseball (which the Rays are) would have been a spectacular failure.

28th out of 30 in OBP
25th out of 30 in AVG
23rd out of 30 in SLG

Find me a team ever that was able to sustain a .500 record for more than a few weeks at a time with offensive numbers like that.

Instead of attacking me for not reacting to the team the way you want, discuss what I'm saying about the game reasonably, and set me straight using logic and facts. Or simply ignore it.

I like you, and I hope to be able to continue communicating with you. There's no reason to basically just tell me to shut up, though.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway... I'm looking forward to this coming homestand because it's about time this team got over .500 at home for more than a day or two. Hopefully they can get that done starting tomorrow, even though Tanaka isn't going to be easy to beat.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners just announced that Husky football coach Chris Petersen will be throwing out the 1st pitch at SafeCo tomorrow night.

Iwakuma vs Tanaka. Gonna be a great night of baseball in the PACNW.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tanaka was moved back to Wednesday.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stunned to see the Mariners actually win a game that Erasmo pitched in, against David Price nonetheless.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking 3 of 4 is great in most cases. But even going 2-2 against the worst team in baseball (which the Rays are) would have been a spectacular failure.

28th out of 30 in OBP
25th out of 30 in AVG
23rd out of 30 in SLG

Find me a team ever that was able to sustain a .500 record for more than a few weeks at a time with offensive numbers like that.

Instead of attacking me for not reacting to the team the way you want, discuss what I'm saying about the game reasonably, and set me straight using logic and facts. Or simply ignore it.

I like you, and I hope to be able to continue communicating with you. There's no reason to basically just tell me to shut up, though.

Well is it worth noting that despite having abysmal OBP, AVG and SLG numbers, the team has somehow managed to produce runs at a semi-competent level (16 out of 30). That being said, run production with such pathetic AVG/OBP/SLG is likely unsustainable, but the team's offense sure has looked a lot better with James Jones and Michael Saunders at the top of the lineup. It is also worth noting that the Mariners currently possess the AL's second lowest ERA, despite having some of the worst production in MLB from the #5 spot in our rotation.

Is this team on a clear path to dominance? I don't think anyone is stating that.

But it is worth noting that the Mariners are currently 5 games above .500 and if the Mariners play .500 ball during the 8 game losing streak, we would be 38-25.

In the end you may be right, but to me this appears to be the best Mariners team we have seen since 2009. Although this may be in comparison to the dog shit of 2010-2013, this is still one of the better Mariners teams that we have seen over the past 10 years.

Doing my best to convert you to the semi-optimistic train buddy :suds:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well is it worth noting that despite having abysmal OBP, AVG and SLG numbers, the team has somehow managed to produce runs at a semi-competent level (16 out of 30). That being said, run production with such pathetic AVG/OBP/SLG is likely unsustainable.....:

yep

as evidence, i give you the history of baseball

if the m's can defy the overwhelming odds with this lineup for another 100 games, it will be historical.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keep talking like that

we'll definitely revisit this in a month or two

lol

i love it when people start talking about the m's like they're relevant

a week or two of fluke success is all it takes, i guess.

you can "pin it" man and we can look back in a month...lol:suds:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The M's had one 8-game losing streak in April and one 4-game losing streak that ended with a win on May 17th. They have the second best record in baseball since the end of the 8-gamer and the 4-game losing streak was the only time before or since the 8-gamer that the Mariners have lost more than two games in a row. When the 8-game losing streak ended, they promptly won 10 of their next 12 games. They fared worse coming out of the 4-game losing streak, going 6-6 in their next 12, but they followed that with an 8-2 stretch that leads us to tonight's game.

The lineups that McClendon is putting out there everyday might not be inspiring to look at and this winning pace may not be sustainable for a full season if the offensive production doesn't pick up and become more consistent one way or another, but if you can't enjoy what they're doing now as a team because you're waiting for the other shoe to drop or, more specifically, for the numbers you're seeing in the stat sheet to start producing the results in the standings that you expect them to, I don't know what to tell you. It seems some people like to focus on the negative so that if (or when) the other shoe happens to drop, they can start handing out "I told you so's" like candy on Halloween.