• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Los Angeles Angels at our Texas Rangers Series Thread

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The type of steroids that would be administered in that type of situation would not show up on the test and are not what they are looking for. Hydrocortisone, Methylprednisolone, Prednisone, these are not PED and players receive them routinely in the joints to decrease inflammation. That would not make you fail a PED test.

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Steroids would not help you get over a stomach virus, if anything they would upset your stomach further.

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can tell EXACTLY what drug was used, and are not looking for the drugs I mentioned.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The type of steroids that would be administered in that type of situation would not show up on the test and are not what they are looking for. Hydrocortisone, Methylprednisolone, Prednisone, these are not PED and players receive them routinely in the joints to decrease inflammation. That would not make you fail a PED test.

Kinda what I figured, but I didn't have the technical terms, thanks for the input

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, Steroids would not help you get over a stomach virus, if anything they would upset your stomach further.

Really? I have been given a steroid shot when I had a stomach virus... also, some things I read before posting my original post suggested that steriods are a common but sort of last resort treatment for Gastroenteritis.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't know this either.. learning a lot tonight and thanks for the input. I guess the only weight my theory would still hold is if Cruz was a ignorant about the MLBs policies as I am.

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I have been given a steroid shot when I had a stomach virus... also, some things I read before posting my original post suggested that steriods are a common but sort of last resort treatment for Gastroenteritis.
Gastroenteritis is a pretty lose term which doctors use when they dont know why you are vomiting with diarrhea. Steroids, at least oral steroids will upset the stomach and should be taken with food. IV steroids such as solumedrol and solucortef could theoretically decrease inflammation in the bowels, but I have never seen them given in this situation.

BTW, I am a Doctor of Pharmacy and work in a hospital. For what its worth.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't know this either.. learning a lot tonight and thanks for the input. I guess the only weight my theory would still hold is if Cruz was a ignorant about the MLBs policies as I am.

Like I said before, since they seem to make up policy as they go and apply it as they see fit, its a total crapshoot at this point

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be honest, I don't know anything about MLB policies, I just know that players routinely receive shots of hydrocortisone etc. in the joints as well as nerves. Also, theoretically, I would assume that at least a few players have asthma and probably receive various steroids for that as well.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gastroenteritis is a pretty lose term which doctors use when they dont know why you are vomiting with diarrhea. Steroids, at least oral steroids will upset the stomach and should be taken with food. IV steroids such as solumedrol and solucortef could theoretically decrease inflammation in the bowels, but I have never seen them given in this situation.

Thats cool, thanks for all your help. I could be wrong about the shot I got.. It was about 10-15 years ago but I thought it was a steroid shot and I wasn't exactly looking in medical journals where I saw it was a last resort type of treatment.

dammittman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Places like Biogenesis produce designer steroids, which is to say that they take a drug with the basic functionality as testosterone and then add some chemical group onto it in a way that doesn't change its functionality, but disguises it for testing purposes. Drug tests are very specific and quite easy to fool in this manner. That is until, they start testing for the derivative that you are taking, and then you are busted.

Nathan Ahle/Triple 7

Autobots, roll out!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I was under the impression that they couldn't even use them as a legitimate medical treatment. Well, if this is the case, either throw my theory out the window or maybe Cruz was as ignorant about the PED rules as I am.

There is a difference between PED and medical steroids. Medical steroids are given to boost immune system when you have a bad infection or for anti-inflammatory. For example, I have had to use a medical steroid called prednisone to fight off some bad allergy attacks I had about 5 years ago and i'm actually using it right now as an anti-inflammatory for a big gash that I got stitched up yesterday. If filed correctly, i'm pretty sure these steroids are not a PED. What I have is taken by pill, but PED's are injected into the blood stream/muscles (either to energize the blood (like what Lance Armstrong did) or stimulate the muscles growth). I may be wrong about this, but medical steroids and PED's (as far as I know) are two completely different things. Based on Ranger Dude's theory, I think Cruz may have purchased medical steroids from Biogenesis and that is why his name is on their list. It hasn't been proven that he did indeed use PED's, but this may be just case of misunderstanding. I sure hope it is, but we will have to wait until tomorrow or Friday to see if the suspension comes or not and see what details follow

Last edited by a moderator:

pegasusredleg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I believe that is why they give steroids to chemo patients as well.