• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

looking ahead......

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm kind of skeptical about the Japanese guy. He looked awesome in that youtube vid scotsman posted, but you just never know how it will translate. Dice-K was supposed to awesome - thank God Boston got him instead of us.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TEX slotted Feliz to start in 2011 ... and it went back and forth several times until Feliz opted out and went back to the bullpen. IF Feliz comes kicking down Wash's door and wants another shot at starting ... then TEX slots him back toward that role. Until then ... no way should TEX consider Feliz for anything other than a late inning job.

Never saw it or read it as he opted to go back, I always read it as the Rangers moved him back b/c they lacked confidence in anyone else to handle the closers role

Feliz was originally against the idea but once he showed great success in a starters role, he did a flip flop and wanted to be a starter

It wasnt until he got hurt at the beginning of the regular season that he once again flip flopped back to wanting to be a closer

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Never saw it or read it as he opted to go back, I always read it as the Rangers moved him back b/c they lacked confidence in anyone else to handle the closers role

Feliz was originally against the idea but once he showed great success in a starters role, he did a flip flop and wanted to be a starter

It wasnt until he got hurt at the beginning of the regular season that he once again flip flopped back to wanting to be a closer

Up top you said you didn't see where he opted to go back to the bullpen ... then at the end of your post you answered yourself ... "once again flip flopped back to wanting to be a closer".

If a guy isn't committed to being a starter ... then he's not going to be very good at it either.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm kind of skeptical about the Japanese guy. He looked awesome in that youtube vid scotsman posted, but you just never know how it will translate. Dice-K was supposed to awesome - thank God Boston got him instead of us.

Agree ... he's a AAAA pitcher. No way is he worth more than MLB minimum in a one year deal. If he's any good ... he'll get all sorts of interest.

If you are willing to pay that much for some guy with no assurance he can dominate at the MLB level ... then your team is destined to have $168mil in player contracts to guys like Lackey and Daisuke ... and miss the playoffs altogether.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up top you said you didn't see where he opted to go back to the bullpen ... then at the end of your post you answered yourself ... "once again flip flopped back to wanting to be a closer".

If a guy isn't committed to being a starter ... then he's not going to be very good at it either.

He made his final decision after the Rangers themselves had decided to put him back at closer, and then only after he got hurt and decided to blame it on starting in ST

He never opted to go to the bullpen, the Rangers put him there

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it appears that Darvish may have 2nd thoughts about coming over here mlbrumors still says that Texas is the favorite to get him but i now think that the Yankees will go after him hard.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made his final decision after the Rangers themselves had decided to put him back at closer, and then only after he got hurt and decided to blame it on starting in ST

He never opted to go to the bullpen, the Rangers put him there

because he was behind in the development of additional pitches and they realized that he would get eaten alive the 2nd time thru the batting order.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
because he was behind in the development of additional pitches and they realized that he would get eaten alive the 2nd time thru the batting order.

They raved about his secondary pitches in ST actually, the decision to move him back to closer was based almost solely on a lack of confidence in another candidate to close games out

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree ... he's a AAAA pitcher. No way is he worth more than MLB minimum in a one year deal. If he's any good ... he'll get all sorts of interest.

If you are willing to pay that much for some guy with no assurance he can dominate at the MLB level ... then your team is destined to have $168mil in player contracts to guys like Lackey and Daisuke ... and miss the playoffs altogether.

a half a dozen teams including the Rangers, Yankees, Nationals don't agree with you. they are all expected to bid between 40-50M just have the opportunity to sign him so i don't think they spend that kind of money to sign him to a 1 year minimum contract

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it appears that Darvish may have 2nd thoughts about coming over here mlbrumors still says that Texas is the favorite to get him but i now think that the Yankees will go after him hard.

After failures with CHOP and three Japanese relievers, two of which were left off the WS roster, it may pay to not look much further than Frisco or Round Rock.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never assumed that Feliz would be just as effective as a starter, I said I'd like to see him be given the chance to be a starter before making him a career reliever, once again putting words in my mouth... if he fails as a ML starter then sure make him the closer for the next 15 years

so gamble on him by giving him a starter role and pray he doesn't get eaten alive. he has 1 very good pitch (fastball) and i average pitch. after the first time thru they'll be sitting on everything waiting for the fastball

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so gamble on him by giving him a starter role and pray he doesn't get eaten alive. he has 1 very good pitch (fastball) and i average pitch. after the first time thru they'll be sitting on everything waiting for the fastball

Yet throw 100 million at Darvish?

Obviously Feliz needs to learn to mix his pitches better but he was doing that in ST and stopped when thrown back into the bullpen,

He was working with a cutter (which was said to be outstanding), and curveball to go along with his 4 seam

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that I've been thinking about now in the signing of a big time free agent is I actually believe in our farm system. Mike Olt could be our starting first baseman in 2012 if we don't sign a big time 1st baseman. The same can be said about certain pitchers in the minors, there is a lot of potential for Top of the Rotation Starters. Saying that, if we sign a guy like Albert we could possibly move Olt as part of a deal for a Starting Pitchers.

I just don't to forget how we got here, and it's though player development. I don't want to turn into the Yankees thinking we can sign every big name free agent. Although I do want to have a 120-140mil payroll to go along with our great farm system.

i wasnt thinking about him,,,but i was thinking about all of arms we have thats why i think we could get oswalt(cheaply)/iwakuma if we lose cj and let the young guys get some time or we could sign a bullpen arm and try feliz if it doesnt work move feliz back to closer and we will still have a great pen and rotation

Last edited by a moderator:

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a half a dozen teams including the Rangers, Yankees, Nationals don't agree with you. they are all expected to bid between 40-50M just have the opportunity to sign him so i don't think they spend that kind of money to sign him to a 1 year minimum contract

Jesus H. Christ man, stop posting every rumor you read as the gospel.

Last edited by a moderator:

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet throw 100 million at Darvish?

Obviously Feliz needs to learn to mix his pitches better but he was doing that in ST and stopped when thrown back into the bullpen,

He was working with a cutter (which was said to be outstanding), and curveball to go along with his 4 seam

it would be better for him to work on these pitches out of the bullpen. if you want Feliz to be a starter than make Adams the closer and use Feliz as 2 or 3 inning reliever where he can use all his pitches and become comfortable throwing them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus H. Christ man, stop posting every rumor you read as the gosphel.

what is your issue, clown? you don't like the guy okay that's your opinion. i'm allowed mine so kiss my ass

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it would be better for him to work on these pitches out of the bullpen. if you want Feliz to be a starter than make Adams the closer and use Feliz as 2 or 3 inning reliever where he can use all his pitches and become comfortable throwing them.

I dont get it, you have the courage to throw 100 million+ at Darvish but not to allow a guy proven at the ML level

I get the feeling you just want to spend money for the sake of doing so

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont get it, you have the courage to throw 100 million+ at Darvish but not to allow a guy proven at the ML level

I get the feeling you just want to spend money for the sake of doing so

did i say i personally want to spend 100M? every MLB sources is reporting that the Rangers are looking at Darvish and are the favorites in the race. i am more than willing to give Feliz a chance but putting him in the starting rotation and hoping he gets comfortable with his secondary pitches is not the way to do it. make Adams the closer and move Feliz into a middle relieve role where he gets the opportunity to go 2 or 3 innings and use those pitches. isn't that kind of what we did with CJ?

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No CJ pretty much went from a 1 inning at a time reliever and part time closer to starter

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what is your issue, clown? you don't like the guy okay that's your opinion. i'm allowed mine so kiss my ass

I'm just like you. I don't know a g.d. thing about the guy. Nothing

My issue is that you go on and on about it, but know nothing about MLB pitching. Hell, it wasn't a month ago you were ready to open the check book to CJ Wilson...beat any offer by a million dollars. Now it's Feliz isn't a starter, Darren Oliver is washed up and let's give 100 million to the flavor of the month who has never thrown a pitch on US soil... because you read something that said he graded out high. Whatever that means.