• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lionel Hollins?

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We constantly talk about D'antoni and who we think should be the coach. With Phil probably out of the hunt, I said that I wouldn't mind B-Shaw(even though it won't happen) or Byron scott(to a lesser extent however). Then I read something pretty interesting today. I read that the Nets are interested in bringing in Lionel Hollins because Hollins is in the last year of his deal.It is well known that Hollins was very upset with the way Memphis' front office traded Rudy Gay and how they rely only on the saber metrics point of view with the hiring of John Hollinger. He was on Mike and Mike this morning and gave the classic PR answers saying he's just focused on this year and he's just fine with management....and to be fair, a run to the Finals might nullify any problems whatsoever.

Now what does this have to do with us you ask? I think we're stuck with Dantoni for the record, and while he'll most likely stay with Memphis, I say why not make a run at Lionel Hollins? He's a really good leader, he's all about defense which is something that is VERY important imo, and MOST of all, do you guys see how he uses Randolph and Gasol?!? THAT is how you're supposed to use your big guys, Memphis makes that work FAR better than we do. The only thing I worry about is how would he manage ego's, you have to be able to do that with a team like this...but one thing I like about him(and Mark Jackson does this GREATLY), is he knows how to be a motivator in the huddle during timeouts. FTR, I don't think he leaves Memphis, but I'm ALL for making a run at him. What do you guys think?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I didn't even know they were having issues in Memphis.

I especially liked how during the game the other night when Hollins was interviewed by the sideline guy and asked how they were going to deal with OKC going small on them, Hollins said something along the lines of, "We're going to do what we do. We play big and we play defense." In other words, screw what they're doing. Sure enough, OKC ended having to go with Thabeet just to match MEM instead.

But I'm still holding out hope for Phil Jackson to make his way back to the Lakers bench once Dwight Howard and the Lakers come back to the inevitable bargaining table.

dpwtv

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionel Hollins is interesting.. I'd be okay with him as the head coach. I love Phil Jackson... i think what he's done here and in his career has been nothing short of remarkable. Arguably one of the greatest coaches ever....and i have no doubt if we got him... he would help us succeed for one to two years he'd be here before he inevitably retired....

But truthfully, I'm ready to move on from him. I want to find a young upstart assistant... who has never been given a chance to be a head coach... and I want to hire him to be our coach for potentially a long, long time. Have him grow into the role and cultivate relationships with players and the league

there comes a time when you just have to move on and do something different... even though you may be leaving a good thing behind.

The Lakers need to be thinking long term.... long term... Phil is not the answer. I don't know who is... but we need to find someone. Phil is our crutch. We can't keep falling back on him to bail us out everytime the organization screws up a hire.

We need to find someone permanent, we can count on long term. Short term fixes rarely ever solve long term problems.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference for me is I get the sense that PJ is mostly interested in establishing a certain culture (read: Triangle) in an organization for the future/long-term, and not necessarily coaching for anymore than he has to. Actually, I think the Lakers are the only team he would coach at this point. Seems to be an emphasis of his that the Triangle doesn't die or become reduced to complete obscurity.

Importantly, PJ could do that all within what you're talking about, DP. Establishing a culture and grooming a young coach to take the lead actually seems to be his main thing, to me. Not just being a patch-job or short-term crutch.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers are smart (and with Short Buss running things, it's a big if), they would bring Phil back for a season or 2 to establish the triangle and then create a position for him (Director of Coaching or something LOL!!) and let him hire his replacement, be available for that coach to consult and deal with any coaching issues.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is well known that Hollins was very upset with the way Memphis' front office traded Rudy Gay and how they rely only on the saber metrics point of view with the hiring of John Hollinger.
:hellno:

Rudy Gay was gotten rid of for reasons other than sabermetrics. Salary was probably the largest issue.

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hellno:

Rudy Gay was gotten rid of for reasons other than sabermetrics. Salary was probably the largest issue.

That's not what Kold said.

I think his point was that Hollins was upset with both the trade of Gay and the hire of Hollinger. Not that Hollins was upset that MEM used Hollinger's metrics exclusively in the decision to trade Gay.

Everybody knows Gay's salary was a major factor. So was his inefficiency and sucking this season, which no one needed sabermetrics to figure out.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what Kold said.

I think his point was that Hollins was upset with both the trade of Gay and the hire of Hollinger.

Precisely. Also, I like this idea of hiring Phil and letting him choose his successor but I'm looking at other ideas(preferably Hollins) because Jim Buss is most likely gonna be Jim Buss and not go with that idea for Phil. I mean Phil tried to bring in his successor the last time and you see how that turned out....although the situation is a tad different this time

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Precisely. Also, I like this idea of hiring Phil and letting him choose his successor but I'm looking at other ideas(preferably Hollins) because Jim Buss is most likely gonna be Jim Buss and not go with that idea for Phil. I mean Phil tried to bring in his successor the last time and you see how that turned out....although the situation is a tad different this time

agreed. unfortunately short Buss hasn't had enough imo of doing things HIS way and keeping his personality conflict with PJ going, which is too bad...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am with you ChiefsLakers. Not much is going to happen as long as Short Buss is running the show and we are going to go through another year of krap because of it.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference for me is I get the sense that PJ is mostly interested in establishing a certain culture (read: Triangle) in an organization for the future/long-term, and not necessarily coaching for anymore than he has to. Actually, I think the Lakers are the only team he would coach at this point. Seems to be an emphasis of his that the Triangle doesn't die or become reduced to complete obscurity.

Importantly, PJ could do that all within what you're talking about, DP. Establishing a culture and grooming a young coach to take the lead actually seems to be his main thing, to me. Not just being a patch-job or short-term crutch.

That's a great thought BRS but, if Mitch hires Phil it will mark the beginning of his end... We both know Phil won't be satisfied with cultivating a coach especially if he has to coach 2 years to do it... He wants to run it like Pat Riley... And while I'm not opposed, Mitch won't give up his seat IMO...

As for Hollins... The Lakers parts are much different... Our Gasol is better offensively but obviously not the same defensively and has no movement in terms of getting over for the help... D12 can compensate and be our (lil)Gasol defensively out Gasol doesn't even do what Zbo does in terms of rebounds... Then offensively D12 is a far cry from Zbo... Conley Prince and Allen vs Nash Kobe and Artest... We are all offense to their all defense... It's hard to say but I don't see a coach that can motivate this team to do things they cannot... No way you can start Nash Kobe Artest Pau and D12...if Pau moves to the bench and we sign a defensive 3 or Nash moves to the bench and we get a defensive 1 we might get away with this roster, but there are just too many guys who can not or will not move... I recall a standing ovation when Pau dove for a ball once last year... While I applaud his effort, it must be consistent...

Lastly, I like Pau and Nash... But IMO the deepest 2 position are 1 and 4... Pg at all lightening fast and most can also shoot decent so you can't sag... Pf are all stretch 4s or extremely fast and athletic (from Dirk to Griffin)... While I can appreciate what Memphis is doing they only have to hide Zbo on defense the rest of those guys are studs... We don't have enough D on the perimeter to allow Gasol to stay and big rotation isn't fast enough to help the perimeter as is...anyway, that's my view of the situation...

Last edited by a moderator:

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And on top of all that we are unsure of what Kobe can do or when he will come back next year... I have no question he will be back to form, my question is when...? Because until then Meeks or Goudelock will start... And as much as I like Goudelock, he's no Kobe...

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lionel Hollins is looking pretty stout these days since he has Memphis in the Western Conference Finals. They are playing pretty good D and their O is consistent enough to match SA's game.

DimesD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hollins is an upgrade over D'antoni because he wants players to go at it on both ends.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Nets hired Jason Kidd and Hollins is still available and Short Buss is going to do nothing!! Zero, zip, nada. Don'tknowi is his guy and he is dumb enough to tank the franchise just through inactivity alone. We shall see if anything goes down in a week as the draft nears but I have my doubts.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Nets hired Jason Kidd and Hollins is still available and Short Buss is going to do nothing!! Zero, zip, nada. Don'tknowi is his guy and he is dumb enough to tank the franchise just through inactivity alone. We shall see if anything goes down in a week as the draft nears but I have my doubts.

Yeah, I don't get too excited about draft time as well(as far as us making moves). As for us being stuck with Dantoni, I've come to accept it, that's "their guy" whether we like it or not.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Blue. I think Hollins is going to lose out on the possibility to get hired by the Clips with this supposed "megadeal" brewing between the Clips, Celts, and Lakers. Although the Clip joint was impressed by Hollins, the star factor of Doc Rivers may cloud Sterling's thinking. A collateral issue here is why Short Buss is not jumping all over this and getting rid of Don'tknowi? I suppose he'll wait to five games into next season before he gets off his little ass and actually does something of value.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is short on the brain matter also, shorty won't get it right and the Lakers have a long way back to get respect. I can see Rivers and Garnet going to the Clips and Hollins being set up here but shorty will live or die by DA and that is a complete shame to all that is Lakers.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blue. The latest is the Celts are dropping their demand for Bledsoe and all they want now is Deandre Jordon player-for-player for Garnett and then they want two number ones for Rivers. If the Clips agree, then it is a matter of time before Howard will be called in for a sign and trade and off across the hall.

Then we end up with Bledsoe and Griffin. Some in the Clip Joint still want Griffin to be off limits but that is still to be determined. So as this week goes toward the draft things could go pretty quick.