• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers sign Kendall Marshall lmao!

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There saying shit like "future pg" lmao @ the fakers board! They also said "he can shoot" and shit im dying lmfaoooooooo.

UA_Stapler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First they overpay for Kobe

then they sign Marshall to a multi-year deal?

Has Isiah Thomas been employed as a shadow GM? He can't be far away from this, right?

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's great; now he joins Wesley Johnson, another of the Suns' rejects.

Although in D'Antoni's offense, even Marshall might look halfway decent at times. The other day on NBA TV, I saw a leader board for some statistic called "points produced per 48 minutes," meaning the combined points from scoring and assists that a player averages (prorated for every 48 minutes, obviously). Chris Paul ranked number-one among point guards; no surprise there. But rounding out the top five point guards were Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar!

Just look at how Blake's assists shot up this season, to a new career-high by far:

Steve Blake NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO! "He could be our future PG" - Laker fans...

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Earl Clark a Suns reject too? I honestly don't know anything about Marshall, the way the Lakers' PGs are looking right now I'd be happy with a little speed and passing ability. After Farmar comes back and Marshall sucks they won't have to play him.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey look, another Laker hate thread! :suds:

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Earl Clark a Suns reject too?

Yes, although maybe you're being facetious because Clark made some decent contributions to the Lakers last season. The bottom line, though, is that he is now playing for his fourth team in the last four seasons.

I honestly don't know anything about Marshall, the way the Lakers' PGs are looking right now I'd be happy with a little speed and passing ability. After Farmar comes back and Marshall sucks they won't have to play him.

Passing ability? Yes. In Marshall's three starts last season, he actually averaged 12.3 assists. However, he also averaged 6.0 points while shooting .292 from the field, .125 on threes, and .492 from the free throw line for a .332 True Shooting Percentage (no joke).

Kendall Marshall 2012-13 Splits | Basketball-Reference.com

Speed? No. The slowest point guards in the league last season were probably Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Derek Fisher, Andre Miller, and Kendall Marshall. The difference is that those other guys were all between thirty-six and forty years of age, whereas Marshall was twenty-one.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, although maybe you're being facetious because Clark made some decent contributions to the Lakers last season. The bottom line, though, is that he is now playing for his fourth team in the last four seasons.

Passing ability? Yes. In Marshall's three starts last season, he actually averaged 12.3 assists. However, he also averaged 6.0 points while shooting .292 from the field, .125 on threes, and .492 from the free throw line for a .332 True Shooting Percentage (no joke).

Kendall Marshall 2012-13 Splits | Basketball-Reference.com

Speed? No. The slowest point guards in the league last season were probably Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Derek Fisher, Andre Miller, and Kendall Marshall. The difference is that those other guys were all between thirty-six and forty years of age, whereas Marshall was twenty-one.

I'll concede Earl Clark if you're willing to acknowledge Wes Johnson.

As for Marshall, you talk about his offensive stats as if the Lakers brought him in to score, although he is shooting over 40% from 3 in the D-League, I know it's the D-League but it's the same distance. I'm not saying he's going to be a knock down shooter but to say he can't improve is just beyond your knowledge, people said Jodie Meeks couldn't drive and he worked on it. Can't hurt to have another passing guard on this team.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll concede Earl Clark if you're willing to acknowledge Wes Johnson.

As for Marshall, you talk about his offensive stats as if the Lakers brought him in to score, although he is shooting over 40% from 3 in the D-League, I know it's the D-League but it's the same distance. I'm not saying he's going to be a knock down shooter but to say he can't improve is just beyond your knowledge, people said Jodie Meeks couldn't drive and he worked on it. Can't hurt to have another passing guard on this team.

I didn't say that he couldn't improve; maybe he has improved, and we'll find out soon enough. My point was that even though Marshall averaged 12.3 assists in three starts last season, an extremely impressive figure, he still constituted a terrible offensive player.

And, no, the Lakers did not bring him in to score, but a point guard who fails to place pressure on the defense as a threat to score instantly becomes a dramatically less effective player. I mean, if Rajon Rondo had been a better shooter and scorer, you can forget about that 2010 championship for the Lakers.

Kenny Smith made this point on TNT last season, talking about the scoring-challenged Ricky Rubio. He said that going up against a point guard who could score, such as Kevin Johnson or Gary Payton in Smith's era, was much more of a challenge. Smith said that those guys could always pass for 15 assists (well, at least K.J. could), but their scoring ability made them much more difficult to deal with. Listen to Hubie Brown's comments during the 2:30-3:00 section of this highlight video from a 1995 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDf8Wb6YBbs

If a point guard is a credible threat to score, he draws multiple defenders off the pick-and-roll. If he's not a credible threat to score, then playing him becomes much easier, much simpler: the point guard defender just ducks under the screen while the big man defender stays with the guy setting the screen, or the point guard defender goes over the top of the screen and even if he is beaten off the dribble, the point guard isn't a major threat to finish at the rim, anyway. Marshall can still pick up assists by possessing good court awareness and being pass-happy, but a non-scoring point guard tends to render an offense predictable, making the defensive scheme easy and almost risk-free.

Now, maybe Marshall has improved and regardless, the Lakers obviously did not sign him with the idea that he could average 15-20 points per game. I'm just pushing back on the notion that his scoring ability is irrelevant; it's never irrelevant for an NBA point guard, especially for one hoping to play major minutes.

I'm not blaming the Lakers for signing Marshall. When a team's top three point guards (four if you count Kobe Bryant) all go down due to injury, it has to take whatever it can get. I'm not sure why they would sign him to a multi-year contract, though, even if at minimum salary. Historically, a guy like Marshall receives a ten-day contract. If he plays well, he receives another ten-day contract, and if he keeps playing well, he receives a contract for the season's remainder.

I guess that you're saying that Wesley Johnson has done a good job for the Lakers, and he is shooting .391 on threes, so he's done a good job in that respect. D'Antoni's system makes a difference because it maximizes the transition game and the pick-and-roll, thus resulting in more open looks for shooters (even Earl Clark benefited last year, at least for awhile). And his assists-to-turnover ratio has improved this season, while his blocked shots are way up. Does that mean that he has suddenly become a sound all-around player? I don't know, as I've hardly watched the Lakers this year, but I doubt it. At under $1M, his signing has worked pretty well for LA so far, but the Suns were paying over $4M last season for a terrible all-around player and a shooter who hit a low percentage of his shots. And on this year's improved Phoenix team, Johnson would not have received much playing time, regardless.

Anyway, remember that I said that in D'Antoni's system, even Marshall could look halfway decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

JahiiCarson_SqodGeneral

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kendall would avg 1 ppg 10 turnovers and 1 assist in our system hes way to slow for our system.

BPNAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id take Kendall Marshall over Ish Smith in a new York minute